10 Day Greek Isle/Italy NCL last min booking! HELP!

Good evening. I don’t think I’ve ever posted it on the forum needing more help than I do right now. Lol.

First and foremost, I would like to say that I am a planner like years in advanced planning. So I am totally out of my element doing something with such short notice!!! 

Without going into more great detail, and to just give you the basics of what I need help with: 

My son & his gf  has been gifted a 10 day cruise that he has chosen the 10 Greek Isles Round Trip Rome-Santorini,Athens & Florence Cruise on May-16th-May 26. He is 23, and has been fortunate enough to have traveled several times out of the country. However, never on a cruise line and never to these areas.

My questions are these:

- do you have to book flights through NCL? I am booking the cruise tomorrow for them, and after reading some things are here I’m confused as to whether you have to or if it’s just offered to you.

- They both are very interested in touring the historic parts of all of these ports.  They both love history, however, in saying that picking these excursions are extremely hard! Where can I go to look to see what excursions are recommended for this type of experience?

- There is also another cruise, that’s very similar to this one that Royal Caribbean is offering ( 7 night Greek Isle tour- May 15)  We are torn between booking through NCL or RC. The price difference between the royal Caribbean trip is significantly different and lower than the Norwegian trip. One reason is because there’s only limited lower quality rooms available on the royal Caribbean trip, and Norwegian haas several balconies and suites available. But ieven saying, that the cost is still significantly different, the RC is around $1900 ( window room) and Norwegian is about $4000 ( balcony) I know the cruise is the difference of three days between the both, but can any of you recommend one cruise or the other?

I will not rest until this is done lol he’s graduating from college in two weeks and starts his job in June. So we only have the month of May to do this for him! I sincerely apologize if I’m poor this in the wrong place, and please let me know where I need to post it. Any, and all help and advice would be extremely appreciated!  

3 hours ago, 1stXCruiser2014 said:

- do you have to book flights through NCL?

Why should you? They can hardly refuse access to the ship if you arrive on your own steam.

3 hours ago, 1stXCruiser2014 said:

- They both are very interested in touring the historic parts of all of these ports.  They both love history, however, in saying that picking these excursions are extremely hard! Where can I go to look to see what excursions are recommended for this type of experience? 

Since they're both so interested in the historic parts of those places, they should be able to find out something about them rather than being herded around by the nose on some so-called excursion. I recommend skipping «excursions» and exploring independently. I admit that that requires more effort than some people are willing to put forth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get a copy of Rick Steves’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  It will tell him what there is to see do in his ports and how to DIY, and how much he can do in the time allowed in the ports.  
  The NCL cruise is on a huge ship and has only one sea day to utilize all the bells and whistles, and the balcony.  At their ages, they will be spending long exhausting says exploring ashore, returning to the ship to shower, eat, enjoy some evening entertainment, and go to bed.  So I would book an OV or inside for this cruise.  Where does the Royal cruise leave from?  What ship?  The difference in cost can be reflected by the size and age of the ship, as well as the cabin type.  Also, I would refer to an inside cabin as lower quality.  Category, maybe.  
 Do they have valid passports?  If not, international travel is a moot point, as passport applications and renewals are taking months.  EM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You do not need to book air through the cruise line.

In nearly every case, and especially for a first visit, I strongly recommend the longer itinerary over the shorter, but I am a bit confused as you first say they were gifted a 10 day cruise then you mention a shorter cruise on a totally different line… 🤨 

Remember when booking air to book for their arrival at least one day ahead of their sailing in case of any snafus. With cruises starting in Rome, add another full day at least for some sightseeing.

Look at Cruise Critic’s destination forums for info about their ports of call or to ask specific questions.

Do they both have passports?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book your own air and arrive several days early in Rome.  That way you will have plenty of time to explore and be able to see more things.  If you like history, you don't want to spend "just a day" in Rome.    Likewise, you could extend your stay but the point is allow several days in Rome. 

• Like 3

We have cruised quite much with NCL but our next cruise is Royal Caribbean. Yes the price tag on Royal is lower. There is a reason for it. 1) On NCL a drink package is usually included in the price. Buying that same kind of drink package costs around $80/day/person on Royal. Thats $80 x 7 x 2 = $1120 that you need to immediately add to the price tag of the Royal cruise if your son and his girlfriend want to have a drink package. 2) There is usually 1-2 speciality dinners included on the NCL price. One specialty restaurant dinner at Royal is around $60/per person. 3) NCL price usually includes $50/per port for shore excursions. Royal’s doesn’t.  4) the NCL price includes free wifi minutes, the Royal price usually does not. 

So most likely the prices overall are very similar (per day price). I’d make the choice between the cruises based on 1) itinerary and 2) ship. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, 1stXCruiser2014 said:

- do you have to book flights through NCL? I am booking the cruise tomorrow for them, and after reading some things are here I’m confused as to whether you have to or if it’s just offered to you.

If you had to us the NCL flights then I would certainly be looking for a different cruise line. Do what works best for you.

As recommended above, check out the ports of call section for recommended things to do. The ports in the Med vary a lot on how easy it is to explore by yourself. For example, Mykonos (if going there) is fairly easy to get around, including a ferry to Delos, whereas Florence is quite a distance from the port so I would recommend some sort of tour there (or at least a transfer).

One place where I would recommend looking at the NCL tours is Santorini as you need to deal with the tender and cable car if travelling independently. NCL tours take you on separate tenders to a different port. The trip to Oia is nice and relatively cheap in our experience and then drops you off in Thira to explore by yourself if you wish.

If you list the other ports then we may be able to help with some suggestions.

• Like 1

I don't think that air is available through NCL on cruises booked less than 90 days in advance.  So airfare would need to be booked separately anyway.  I would look at ports of call section of cruise critic to get some ideas about what might be of interest in each port.  I've done both the Med and Greek Isles and loved them both

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1stXCruiser2014 said:

Good evening. I don’t think I’ve ever posted it on the forum needing more help than I do right now. Lol.

First and foremost, I would like to say that I am a planner like years in advanced planning. So I am totally out of my element doing something with such short notice!!! 

Without going into more great detail, and to just give you the basics of what I need help with: 

My son & his gf  has been gifted a 10 day cruise that he has chosen the 10 Greek Isles Round Trip Rome-Santorini,Athens & Florence Cruise on May-16th-May 26. He is 23, and has been fortunate enough to have traveled several times out of the country. However, never on a cruise line and never to these areas.

My questions are these:

- There is also another cruise, that’s very similar to this one that Royal Caribbean is offering ( 7 night Greek Isle tour- May 15)  We are torn between booking through NCL or RC. The price difference between the royal Caribbean trip is significantly different and lower than the Norwegian trip. One reason is because there’s only limited lower quality rooms available on the royal Caribbean trip, and Norwegian haas several balconies and suites available. But ieven saying, that the cost is still significantly different, the RC is around $1900 ( window room) and Norwegian is about $4000 ( balcony) I know the cruise is the difference of three days between the both, but can any of you recommend one cruise or the other?

I will not rest until this is done lol he’s graduating from college in two weeks and starts his job in June. So we only have the month of May to do this for him! I sincerely apologize if I’m poor this in the wrong place, and please let me know where I need to post it. Any, and all help and advice would be extremely appreciated!  

i hate to say this, but bring your boy and his GF into the planning.  Help THEM decide what they want to see and how to see it.  And no, you don't need to purchase airfare.  when you book the cruise, you will see  box towards the bottom of the page that will ask " Which airport are you leaving from:"  Leave that blank.  But be prepared to pay a lot for airfare at such short notice

• Like 5

Wow, so much excellent advice here.  I too am a long-term planner so I understand how you feel right now.  I'd make a list of 'everything' you can think of that needs to be done.  If you even think it, add it.  You can always delete anything irrelevant.  Prioritize the list.  While you're doing this, have 'the kids' review the ports on each cruise.  Based only on the ports, have them pick one of the cruises.   Probably they'll be happy with either cruise from the standpoint of the ports.  Then sit down with them and run through the list, getting their preferences.  When you're done, the choice will probably be very clear.  Come back here with specific questions and please let us know how it goes.  And remember, there's no such thing as a bad cruise ... well, almost no such thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure to have them arrive a day or two before the cruise departs...for two reasons:

1). Missed connections and flight cancelations are possible...even likely in today's world. You need at least a day buffer to ensure they don't miss the ship, because it won't wait for them.

2). They will need at least a day to adjust their body clocks due to jet lag. Better to do that walking in the sunshine of Rome (or wherever the RC ship leaves from) than to have to waste the first day of the cruise trying to recover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Where does the Royal cruise leave from?  What ship?  The difference in cost can be reflected by the size and age of the ship, as well as the cabin type.  Also, I would refer to an inside cabin as lower quality.  Category, maybe.  
 Do they have valid passports?  If not, international travel is a moot point, as passport applications and renewals are taking months.  EM

The Royal Carribbean cruise is only a 7 day. Leaves from Rome. Stops in Salerno, Messina,Santorini, Turkey,Mykonos, and then Athens. Then they will have to fly from Athens back to Rome and then fly back to US. They both have valid passports. His girlfriend is a student here in the US but is from Peru.

Edited by 1stXCruiser2014

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Make sure to have them arrive a day or two before the cruise departs...for two reasons:

1). Missed connections and flight cancelations are possible...even likely in today's world. You need at least a day buffer to ensure they don't miss the ship, because it won't wait for them.

2). They will need at least a day to adjust their body clocks due to jet lag. Better to do that walking in the sunshine of Rome (or wherever the RC ship leaves from) than to have to waste the first day of the cruise trying to recover.

Reason #3.  Arriving a day or two early for the cruise will provide an opportunity to explore the city of departure.  You'll be spending a lot of time (and money) to explore the intermediate ports of call.  Why not spend some time in the departure port as well?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In nearly every case, and especially for a first visit, I strongly recommend the longer itinerary over the shorter, but I am a bit confused as you first say they were gifted a 10 day cruise then you mention a shorter cruise on a totally different line… 🤨 

Do they both have passports?

I am gifting them this trip. I have not booked it yet. So its a toss up between 2 different cruises. One being RCL and the other being NCL. Trying to do all this as soon as possible. And yes, they both have passports

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

f you list the other ports then we may be able to help with some suggestions

Norwegian cruise: 10 day Cruise Greek Isles & Santorini, Mykonos & Florence 

Date: May 16th-26th

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Rome

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Olympia

Valleta

Messina

Salerno

Florence

Rome

Royal Caribbean cruise:  7 nights Greek Isle Cruise

Date: May 15th-22nd

Ship: Enchantment of the Seas

Rome

Salerno

Sicily

Santorini

Ephesus (Kusadai)

Mykonos

Athens

*NOTE* this cruise starts in Rome, but ends in Athens. Im assuming this wouldnt be too much of a hassle to get a flight from Athens to Rome? then to US? or is this something I want to avoid?

Have you compared the airfare price for both cruises?   I would normally choose the longer itinerary, but if the airfare prices are the same (and you'd need to research that, especially since you are flying into Rome and out of Athens) you would possibly have the opportunity to spend a few days in Rome and then a few days in Athens at the beginning and end of the cruise, which is a very nice option if you can get the airfare to work.  But then you also need to factor in the cost of additional hotel nights in Athens.

In terms of picking excursions, I normally start by looking at what the cruise line offers in terms of their excursions.  And then I'll either go to the cruise critic destination board or tripadvisor to find private vendors so I can customize a trip.  Private vendors are cheaper, and sometimes offer better/different excursion that the ship's excursion.  Just reading travel blogs of other people's travels to these destinations and seeing pictures of their trips might help you identify what are the must sees in each port.  Please note that you need to research the private vendors cancellation policies especially if you chose the NCL cruise, since NCL has been cancelling/making adjustments to cruises after final payment and you might not reach all the scheduled ports 

You'd need to make sure the private vendors will refund you or that your trip insurance will cover the changes.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

i hate to say this, but bring your boy and his GF into the planning.  Help THEM decide what they want to see and how to see it.  And no, you don't need to purchase airfare.  when you book the cruise, you will see  box towards the bottom of the page that will ask " Which airport are you leaving from:"  Leave that blank.  But be prepared to pay a lot for airfare at such short notice

They are completely involved lol 150% I would never be able to do this without their input of what THEY want!

• Like 1

also, for those that have asked, this is the two trips im trying to help them decide on:

Rome

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Olympia

Valleta

Messina

Salerno

Florence

Rome

Royal Caribbean cruise:  7 nights Greek Isle Cruise

Date: May 15th-22nd

Ship: Enchantment of the Seas

Rome

Salerno

Sicily

Santorini

Ephesus (Kusadai)

Mykonos

Athens

*NOTE* this cruise starts in Rome, but ends in Athens. Im assuming this wouldnt be too much of a hassle to get a flight from Athens to Rome? then to US? or is this something I want to avoid?

23 minutes ago, 1stXCruiser2014 said:

Rome

Florence

People who know a bit of geography, or who have taken the trouble to consult a map, may notice that these (among others) are inland. Getting to them from a ship will require transportation from a distant port, then transportation back to the ship, all of which will eat up much of the few lousy hours supposedly available. This is one good reason for not visiting these places on a cruise. Far better, unless one just wants to tick a box or buy souvenirs, would be to arrive by land or air and stay for several days. I know that I'm going to be criticised by all of the people who claim to have had a grand time on a cruise of southern Europe, but I stand by the view that it can only be superficial.

23 minutes ago, 1stXCruiser2014 said:

Why go back to Rome? You can book two one-way flights. Rome is not a major hub; you probably would not want to pass through Rome on the way back to the US.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

and how much he can do in the time allowed in the ports. 

This reminds me of the bus full of Anglo tourists that arrived at the Louvre. The guide yelled to the disorderly crowd «Remember, you have to be back on the bus in twenty minutes! Twenty minutes!»

Presumably they all descended upon the Mona Lisa for some tacky snapshots («See, Thelma? There I is nex'a that thar paintin'!») before scrambling back to their bus in order to pack in what they could «do in the time allowed».

Tourism is of no interest to me; I go in for travel. People who want to «visit» nine souvenir-stands-by-the-sea in ten days are welcome to take cruises of this sort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1stXCruiser2014 said:

The Royal Carribbean cruise is only a 7 day. Leaves from Rome. Stops in Salerno, Messina,Santorini, Turkey,Mykonos, and then Athens. Then they will have to fly from Athens back to Rome and then fly back to US. They both have valid passports. His girlfriend is a student here in the US but is from Peru.

Why not just spend a day or two in Athens and then fly home directly from there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, shorne said:

People who know a bit of geography, or who have taken the trouble to consult a map, may notice that these (among others) are inland.

( yes, I do know this and I have taken the "trouble" to view a map.

Getting to them from a ship will require transportation from a distant port, then transportation back to the ship, all of which will eat up much of the few lousy hours supposedly available.

( Lousy hours? wow, arent you a ball of fun LOL )

This is one good reason for not visiting these places on a cruise. Far better, unless one just wants to tick a box or buy souvenirs, would be to arrive by land or air and stay for several days. I know that I'm going to be criticised by all of the people who claim to have had a grand time on a cruise of southern Europe, but I stand by the view that it can only be superficial.

( I wish I could say I appreciate your advise, but you seem so bitter about cruising in general. I could hardly take this type of info and do anything with it! Thanks tho? )

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Why not just spend a day or two in Athens and then fly home directly from there?

Ahh I was thinking it would be bigger deal to fly our of Athens since it was flying out of different area than they would come in at.

Ahhh decision has been made! They are going with the NCL 10 day! We are making progression!

Rome

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Olympia

Valleta

Messina

Salerno

Florence