Rotterdam ship to Amsterdam airport....shuttle service by HAL or???

Kelownabccan

We are on the HAL...Rotterdam sailing out of Amsterdam in September.....On Oct 7 arriving back in Amsterdam.....one of my choices to fly back to Canada leaves at 12.35 Pm on KLM......is that too tight to make from the ship???....anyone know that has done connections to the airport from the ship......I wonder if HAL does a ship to airport transfer???.......we have used other shuttles that say do not book to leave before a certain time......my other choices are later in the day which should be fine.....3.20 pm or 2.00 pm.....Thanks for input....starting to look at the $$$$$$$ flights over

I was on HAL Rotterdam last year, due to sail from Amsterdam but it was one of the several sailings moved to Rotterdam.  Schiphol to Rotterdam cruise terminal is about 62km whereas to Amsterdam cruise terminal it's only about 22km.  HAL does do airport-port (and return) transfers and I used them in both directions.  

The journey from Schiphol to Rotterdam was about an hour so I'd expect the trip to Amsterdam would be quicker.  (Google says 20-25 minutes.)  I left Rotterdam cruise terminal around 0750, arrived at the airport around 0850, and was airside by 1015 for my 1215 flight.  Although check-in and security were busy, it was all very efficient and moved quickly.  The longest wait was for passport control.  

Current price for the transfer is £29 each, each way (I've got it booked for next month).  If there are 2 or more of you it may well be cheaper/same/not much more to take a taxi.  Amsterdam cruise port website quotes 40-60 euros and says there's a taxi stand at the terminal or you can book ahead.  That way you wouldn't have the risk of waiting for a coach to fill before it leaves, or making several stops at the airport before yours.

We did a TA last year that ended in Amsterdam, and had the same issue to solve.  Although we did stay a couple days in Amsterdam, the path could be the same for you.  We were off the ship more or less at the same time as any other cruise in the USA  (approx 8am).   We are in good health, with good mobility, so we walked from the ship to our hotel with luggage in tow, a few blocks into Amsterdam, and on the path we walked directly through the main train station for Amsterdam (I dont recall the name of the station).  From this station, you can get a train to the Airport, I think it was about 25min for that ride, that does not include the time to walk (probably 10-15min from the ship to the train station).  As I say, we have good mobility and like to walk, and it was relatively easy to do that.  Do be aware most all the signage is in Dutch (not English) and we had to ask several times for some assistance in getting to the correct platform and train.  Similar situation for the cruises that end in the port of Rotterdam ... same train option (to the Airport) exists, but you probably have to take a street tram from the cruise terminal to the central train station (that is a very long walk)

*edit* I should have also mentioned that when we got to Schipol airport (last year) we waited over an hour just to get through initial security line, to get into the terminal area (after luggage checkin) so do allow lots of time on that end of things.

Edited by cruzer0007

I sure hope Schiphol Amsterdam Airport has improved, but just remember or read about what happened there last summer.  It was a s*** show!!!  If it were me, I'd switch my flight to at least the 2pm one.  I hate to stress about waiting in endless security lines!

Good luck and have a great trip!

~Nancy

• Like 1

If you are going to use a HAL transfer (the price does who on the HAL website under flights, pre/post cruise, etc) it will take longer than a cab between loading everyone on along with their luggage and stops, etc.

Schipol is still struggling and it can take 3+ hours to get through.  With those 2 factors in mind, I would change to the 2 pm flight to alleviate any stress and possibly, a missed flight.  JMO.

Kazu....my thinking....2PM one.....easy one to do....and do not have to rush off the ship early....I hate that.....looked at the ship transfer....$50 each CAN......so have added it to the res.....Thanks all for your thoughts....Ken

Last week when finishing the 16 day Rotterdam TA I took the HAL transfer to AMS.   First note, there is a transfer to the Cruise Terminal OR the airport.   I booked the Cruise Terminal by mistake, so had to correct that one, but my error.     Loading the bus was easy enough and the drive to AMS was without complaint.    The only reason I took this transfer was that my hotel was just off the airport grounds so I could take the hotel shuttle to the hotel to spend the night.  Getting the bags off the bus was an issue but mainly because people were just crowding around the bus and not helping others.  

When it came to AMS, I got there early enough at 6am (from the hotel) and had no issues with getting my bags checked, security, etc.   Good thing as the lounge BA is using became full and had a line to enter when I left.    But overall the experience was good.  Now would that be the case for an afternoon flight I would not know.

My wife and I also used the ship's shuttle from the Rotterdam (at the Rotterdam dock) to AMS last week after the 16-day 150th Anniversary crossing.  The ship's shuttle cost $39 USD per person.  We had luggage tag Pink 1, which was called at 8:30 am.  Since we had cleared EU customs and border patrol the previous day when we arrived in Rotterdam, it was a quick shot off the ship to pick up our luggage and proceed to the double-decker coach.  Yes, it did take more time than using a taxi, but on balance was pretty efficient.  Traffic was not a problem, and we were off the coach and on our way with our luggage by 10:30.  Hope that helps.

On 4/25/2023 at 4:08 PM, oakridger said:

I sure hope Schiphol Amsterdam Airport has improved, but just remember or read about what happened there last summer.  It was a s*** show!!!  If it were me, I'd switch my flight to at least the 2pm one.  I hate to stress about waiting in endless security lines!

Good luck and have a great trip!

~Nancy

It was like that in 2017 too Nancy. Absolute chaos - no doubt helped by the exiting cruisers. Took forever to get to a check in computer. Land side was a total zoo. Lots of angry and stressed people. Then there was the security queue. 

My recommendation would be to get the earliest shuttle available.