Lowest Fare in Category now Guarantee only!

Yehootu

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The reasoning?  More possible revenue and more control?  TIA

He indicated that the reasoning is beyond him, but thinks it has something to do with being able to advertise a low entry point. Also may be related to the bidding process. With people taking advantage of the low entry cabins as a starting point to bid up to a higher meta category. One can still do it but would be non refundable.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Currently on Regal. Talked with the on board future cruise staff (now 5 on Regal, was on same on a recent Discovery cruise). They confirm the lowest cabin in each meta category is nonrefundable, guarantee only. The head of the department says that he argued against the change, but it is now policy. They cannot get around it either. Though he did indicate that he is trying in a couple of cases.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

The reasoning?  More possible revenue and more control?  TIA

54 minutes ago, ldtr said:

He indicated that the reasoning is beyond him, but thinks it has something to do with being able to advertise a low entry point. Also may be related to the bidding process. With people taking advantage of the low entry cabins as a starting point to bid up to a higher meta category. One can still do it but would be non refundable.

I won't put words in anyone's mouth, but as a Carnival Corp. shareholder, I like this move for a few reasons.  First, it guarantees a pool of cabins for the guarantee fares.  This makes it less likely there will be an accidental overbooking and less likely that someone could end up with a huge upgrade.  Second, most of the other cruise lines already have nonrefundable fares and I don't mind Princess joining the club to this limited extent.  Third, as mentioned above, it does keep advertised bottom-line fares as low as possible.  

I'm ready for my stoning now.  Or is the chosen punishment tarring and feathering?  Or burning at the stake? 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I won't put words in anyone's mouth, but as a Carnival Corp. shareholder, I like this move for a few reasons.  First, it guarantees a pool of cabins for the guarantee fares.  This makes it less likely there will be an accidental overbooking and less likely that someone could end up with a huge upgrade.  Second, most of the other cruise lines already have nonrefundable fares and I don't mind Princess joining the club to this limited extent.  Third, as mentioned above, it does keep advertised bottom-line fares as low as possible.  

I'm ready for my stoning now.  Or is the chosen punishment tarring and feathering?  Or burning at the stake? 😆

😂 Are you a Princess cheerleader?  📣 

Seriously, I think I have to somewhat agree, although not really happy about it.

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I think the Princess cheerleading squad is full, and I'd have a hard time even making the JV or the "C" squad.  Though if you want to talk about 80s themed cruises...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Seriously, I think I have to somewhat agree, although not really happy about it.

Not a problem for us. Biggest problem is for some specific cabin time where the new approach makes it impossible to select a specific cabin location.

My favourite obstructed oceanview cabin on crown class ships is now guarantee only as it is in the forward section and is the lowest category. When I cancelled and rebooked my current Alaska cruise to get a much better price I was unable to keep the cabin I had booked. Fortunately the new booking was with the "Three for Three" promotion so I did not have to pay extra for the next category up but I am now not in my favourite cabin. I was not told of the change to guarantee only for the lowest category before the existing booking was cancelled.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I won't put words in anyone's mouth, but as a Carnival Corp. shareholder, I like this move for a few reasons.  First, it guarantees a pool of cabins for the guarantee fares.  This makes it less likely there will be an accidental overbooking and less likely that someone could end up with a huge upgrade.  Second, most of the other cruise lines already have nonrefundable fares and I don't mind Princess joining the club to this limited extent.  Third, as mentioned above, it does keep advertised bottom-line fares as low as possible.  😆

I am a share holder also. I don't think these changes have anything to do with decreasing accidental overbooking. Princess doesn't accidentally overbook. They purposely overbook, like airlines do. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I won't put words in anyone's mouth, but as a Carnival Corp. shareholder, I like this move for a few reasons. 

LOL....I am sure most people on the Princess CC site are holders of a 100 shares of CCL.  And according to the recent share price there is nothing Carnival of Princess is doing that is impressing investors.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am a share holder also. I don't think these changes have anything to do with decreasing accidental overbooking. Princess doesn't accidentally overbook. They purposely overbook, like airlines do. 

I agree.  I think what this change will do is to ensure that if you're booking the lowest category that's what you will get since they are blocking those cabins off for guarantees.

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Won’t Princess lose customers?  I wont book a nonrefundable deposit, and I like to choose my own cabin. 

You can still choose most cabins, it is only for the lowest priced cabin in each meta category.