I booked a cruise on Royal, should I have asked for a military discount?

Sigyn

17 hours ago, rolloman said:

ok...one of your above post was about Celebrity...and the OP is talking Royal Caribbean. Another of your posts indicates you put in various other discount options at the same time so you really don't even know for sure what discount was specific to military. I personally put in Military every booking and similar to Phillyfan...it was not a discount which was better than any other offer to a non-military. Simply window dressing. I like what Princess does...gives you $100.00 OBC regardless of what deal you were able to snag. Now that is a real, measurable military discount. 

My post just two posts before yours, I wrote about getting 600-1200 military discounts from various cruises.  This is on RCI and of course only on the cruises that they are offered.  Though many of us agree, the military discount should be on all cruises...not just select cruises.  Celebrity (sister company) offers them on all itineraries.  Though Celebrity and Princess only offers the 100 discount or OBC...at least it is there.  

And also you are wrong about my not knowing which discounts I have.  I simply take a look at my confirmation page, and see those discounts listed clearly and separately.   

And gee...when I see a 1200 military discount from RCI...maybe it means nothing to you, but it means something to me.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

I recall at one time there was a note on the website that credentials maybe required at boarding. I was never asked so I stopped bringing them. That said, it's been a long time since I've seen a LE discount on one of my confirmations.

21 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We carry all of our credentials with us when we cruise (stamped retired) for proof of service. DH is also still an active first responder and I dispatch for our retirement community.

They only require your DD214 (hubs is a Vet), it is added to your account info and you never need it at check in again.  It pops up if offered when you book.  If it doesn't show, that cruise doesn't have it available.  We've gotten that rate many times.  Never had to show the form again after the first time years ago.  Same goes for Disability.  Submitted a form years ago.  It is noted on my account.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Hit and miss, many times it's only offered closer to sailing. Booking my Cruises 18-24 months out of 6-8 Cruises a yr I might get Military Disc 1/3 the time. During startup was offered lot more. Had some Cruises where it got me $600-1100 off, then with C&A Disc's it really added up on a couple cruises. Most time only a few hundred but I'll take it. 

I have had it adjusted a couple times closer to cruise and before final payment.  Hoping it can be offered on our Icon, boy would that help.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

The problem with Celebrity's and RCs military/veteran discount program is they don't require proof of service or honorable discharge at the time of booking. Like a DD214, DD256, or VA healthcare benefits card. 

They did back in the day, we had to show the DD214.  It was annotated.  I assume the computer sees it upon booking.

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

They did back in the day, we had to show the DD214.  It was annotated.  I assume the computer sees it upon booking.

When was back in the day? Our first Celebrity cruise was in 1994. I for years (first time 2002 or 2003) have requested the military discount when booking directly with Celebrity either over the phone or in person or with a TA . I have never was asked for a copy of my DD214. From my experiences when booking, there is nothing in Celebrity's system that shows I'm a veteran and have in the past received a military/veterans discount. The booking agent has never said, "l see your a veteran". The booking agents don't even say the standard canned statement, "you may be asked to provide proof at the embarkation terminal" like they use to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

When was back in the day? Our first Celebrity cruise was in 1994. I for years (first time 2002 or 2003) have requested the military discount when booking directly with Celebrity either over the phone or in person or with a TA . I have never was asked for a copy of my DD214. From my experiences when booking, there is nothing in Celebrity's system that shows I'm a veteran and have in the past received a military/veterans discount. The booking agent has never said, "l see your a veteran". The booking agents don't even say the standard canned statement, "you may be asked to provide proof at the embarkation terminal" like they use to. 

2004 for us, but the website information on that discount/rate or whatever you want to call it said I would need to provide it so I complied,  That was our experience. Took it to check in, The lady at the counter looked at it, took it over to her computer, came back and handed it back to me and said thank you.  I have never been asked for it again and still get the Military discount/rate.  That's all I know.

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

2004 for us, but the website information on that discount/rate or whatever you want to call it said I would need to provide it so I complied,  That was our experience. Took it to check in, The lady at the counter looked at it, took it over to her computer, came back and handed it back to me and said thank you.  I have never been asked for it again and still get the Military discount/rate.  That's all I know.

Agree with what it says and what is actual...consistently inconsistent. Exactly why I carry a copy of my DD214 in my passport wallet along with my covid vaccination cards. 

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Yeah I remember they asked for it once or twice in early 2000's. Was Active then and always carried my ID since

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree with what it says and what is actual...consistently inconsistent. Exactly why I carry a copy of my DD214 in my passport wallet along with my covid vaccination cards. 

Dave, your VA card would work also.  Your bro is the "never leave home without it" type.  😉 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Dave, your VA card would work also.  Your bro is the "never leave home without it" type.  😉 

I always forget mine. I even forget it the last time I went to the VA for my blood draw and physical. I'll add it to our pre-cruise checkoff list. Thanks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I always forget mine. I even forget it the last time I went to the VA for my blood draw and physical. I'll add it to our pre-cruise checkoff list. Thanks. 

Bucky keeps it in his "mini" wallet at all times right next to his DL.  🙂   He learned that after too many times forgetting it .......when he needed it.    😉 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, poocher said:

Have had a military discount ranging from $200-$600 on our last 4 cruises.  Alas nothing for our next and I check weekly as it seems to come & go at odd times.  We have never been asked for any type of proof of eligibility ever.  I do carry my DH’s DD215 and his military record info but never needed it.

I kind of doubt what you are saying here. First of all the discharge is a DD214, not 215, and most cruise lines that offer any sort of military discount are dew and very far between. They all talk a good game but fail to deliver. 

In the past several cruise lines always had some sort of discount but RCCL hasn't offered any sort of military discount from before Covid. I'd like to know what your 4 discounts were. AND please get the form correctly as any honorable discharge vet knows what their DD214 is.

Cheers

Len

16 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

In the past several cruise lines always had some sort of discount but RCCL hasn't offered any sort of military discount from before Covid

Totally and completely incorrect.  Why would we lie about it? Poocher was obviously the victim of a typical typo.  I always input the discount info and if it is offered on the cruise I book, it will automatically discount the fare.  We have had many, more than 4 times.  And my hubs is a Veteran of a Foreign War, not active military.  He carries his Vet card and RCCL has us on record as well.  Sorry if you cannot do your own due diligence, but it felt as if you were calling us all liars.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2023 at 5:54 PM, DaniDanielle said:

We had military discounts applied to quite a few cruises.  They say proof is required but we have never been asked for it.  Always bring it though.

Same. First time we snagged one it was significant, and I swear we checked for DD214 more than passports as we were leaving. 😁 We've never been asked, but always have a copy if we've booked on a discount. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

I kind of doubt what you are saying here. First of all the discharge is a DD214, not 215, and most cruise lines that offer any sort of military discount are dew and very far between. They all talk a good game but fail to deliver. 

In the past several cruise lines always had some sort of discount but RCCL hasn't offered any sort of military discount from before Covid. I'd like to know what your 4 discounts were. AND please get the form correctly as any honorable discharge vet knows what their DD214 is.

Cheers

Len

I’m sorry, you think I’m making it up?  a DD215 is a correcting document to the original DD214.  My husband had a general discharge.  After a number of years, he received  DD215 adding “under honorable conditions” to the original discharge.    This is the invoice from my Explorer cruise in October with a military discount of $606.  Proof enough for you?

IMG_1689.png

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, bonsai3s said:

Same with Princess.

I submitted my DD214...just once...$100 OBC automatically given...$250 OBC for 14 days or more.

That is something nice that Princess offers. Also, all the Princess cruises I have been on there is at least one time that there is a meet and greet for the veterans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

The DD215 is a supporting document to the 214.

I have cruised RCI 4 times post-COVID and I have seen a military discount on at least 1 of them....maybe on 2.

Folks should also be careful about this subject and not look a gift-horse too much in the mouth.  There is DOD law on this topic that applies to active service members and federal employees.  

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I have cruised RCI 4 times post-COVID and I have seen a military discount on at least 1 of them....maybe on 2.

Folks should also be careful about this subject and not look a gift-horse too much in the mouth.  There is DOD law on this topic that applies to active service members and federal employees.  

Thank you.  I have a copy of that with us as it shows the honorable conditions.  
That poster really got under my skin.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Veteran and retired federal employee. Double discount?  😄 

I guess I will have to ask my TA about veteran discounts for Royal. I get the OBC from Princess automatically.

2 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Veteran and retired federal employee. Double discount?  😄 

I guess I will have to ask my TA about veteran discounts for Royal. I get the OBC from Princess automatically.

Never heard of a discount for being a federal employee. I worked (retired) for the DOD/USAF/CSRS for 40 years.