Question re. price-drop FCC and the book by/sail date requirement

TrumpyNor

We have a booked cruise for August 4-August 15, 2023 where there was a (to me) significant pricedrop after final payment, so I contacted NCL to request for the price-drop FCC, and yesterday received the e-mail stating that we in total got a FCC in the amount of $1700.

We have already a cruise booked for August 2024, that starts on August 15 - where I am thinking of cancelling and rebooking as using the FCC would make the total price only half of what it is currently. But as English is not my first language, I am a little uncertain regarding the meaning of the following wording in the FCC e-mail I received from NCL:

These credits will be available for one year to book and sail, upon completion of your current sailing on Debarkation Day.

As my 2023-cruise embarks on August 4th and debarks on August 15th - does that mean that I can use the FCC for my 2024-cruise or not, as the embarkation date is August 15th? Or does it mean that I can only use the FCC for cruises that starts at no later date than August 14th, 2024? Or does it mean that in order to use the FCC the cruise has to be completed by August 15th? Or is my actual "date limit"  that the cruise where I can use the FCC has to be completed by August 4th, 2024 as August 4th 2023 is the embarkation date for the cruise where I will have the FCC available upon completion of...

For those of you who have English as your first language, this is probably a very "stupid" question - but I have actually managed to confuse myself very much in this matter.... So all replies from someone who can tell me the actual meaning of that sentence when it comes to price-drop FCC will be highly appreciated.

3 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

We have a booked cruise for August 4-August 15, 2023 where there was a (to me) significant pricedrop after final payment, so I contacted NCL to request for the price-drop FCC, and yesterday received the e-mail stating that we in total got a FCC in the amount of $1700.

We have already a cruise booked for August 2024, that starts on August 15 - where I am thinking of cancelling and rebooking as using the FCC would make the total price only half of what it is currently. But as English is not my first language, I am a little uncertain regarding the meaning of the following wording in the FCC e-mail I received from NCL:

These credits will be available for one year to book and sail, upon completion of your current sailing on Debarkation Day.

As my 2023-cruise embarks on August 4th and debarks on August 15th - does that mean that I can use the FCC for my 2024-cruise or not, as the embarkation date is August 15th? Or does it mean that I can only use the FCC for cruises that starts at no later date than August 14th, 2024? Or does it mean that in order to use the FCC the cruise has to be completed by August 15th? Or is my actual "date limit"  that the cruise where I can use the FCC has to be completed by August 4th, 2024 as August 4th 2023 is the embarkation date for the cruise where I will have the FCC available upon completion of...

For those of you who have English as your first language, this is probably a very "stupid" question - but I have actually managed to confuse myself very much in this matter.... So all replies from someone who can tell me the actual meaning of that sentence when it comes to price-drop FCC will be highly appreciated.

From reading your post, I think your English is perfect.  However, what NCL has written is a poorly worded  English sentence!  You are within your rights to be confused by it.  

My GUESS of what they mean is that once you complete the current cruise on August 15, 2023 they will credit your account with the FCC.  So on August 15, 2023.  From that date you will have one year to book AND sale on your next cruise.   Since your second cruise embarks on August 15, 2024, I definitely would think that the FCC should be usable for it.  That's my interpretation.

But you probably will not know until August 15, 2023 for certain.  Unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

I agree with @MeHeartCruising, your English is very good but the NCL wording is not so clearly written. 

The FCC will definitely be put in your account at the end of your sailing, August 15, 2023.   However, as I understand it, it has to be used on a sailing that ends before August 15, 2024.  As your 2024 sailing does not end until after this date, I believe you would not be able to use it.  I would change your cruise to an earlier one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jemz1949 said:

I'm cruising on 7/15; I have FCCs which reflect a sail date of 7/14.  I could not use the FCCs. 

Which makes sense because your cruise started the day after your sail-by-date of the FCC.  The OP will have his cruise start on the SAME DAY as his sail-by-date of the FCC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

The only ones who can answer your question is NCL.  Call them or  your TA.  Don't rely upon second hand information which is all that is available on CC.  Whatever answer you get, get it in writing.

If you're really worried, rebook  your august 24 cruise at least two weeks earlier.

• Like 1

@TrumpyNor

Hello Anita

My reading of this is that the credit will be in your account on the date you debark on August 15th or one day later depending on the date in Miami rather than in Tromsø or Reykjavik; though they are probably all the same unlike for me!!!!

Then you will have to book AND depart on the cruise you want to apply it to, that is it will have to leave BEFORE August 15th 2024; although you could argue that you could depart on the 15th.   

However I wouldn't bank on that.   The "present" cruise finishes in the early morning of the 15th and any cruise that starts on the 15th does so later in the day!!   NCL tend to be more pedantic about things than even I am.

The completion of that cruise should have NO effect on the usage.

HTH

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

I just want to thank all of you who took your time to write a comment on this matter, it is highly appreciateted. 😊

Please let us know the outcome and I hope it works out for you. 

@TrumpyNor

So all replies from someone who can tell me the actual meaning of that sentence when it comes to price-drop FCC will be highly appreciated.

Hello again Anita

Sorry but I don't have a direct line to anyone in NCL who thinks up their complicated English.   I have yet to get a specific answer to any of that type of query from anyone in NCL.   They only make up the rules and think about the actual meaning AFTER the event when people like you and I challenge a ruling.

I would suggest you try Katty (?) Byrd but DON'T mention my name!!!!!

VBG

Mike

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

My reading of this is that the credit will be in your account on the date you debark on August 15th or one day later depending on the date in Miami rather than in Tromsø or Reykjavik; though they are probably all the same unlike for me!!!!

My FCC never showed up in my account.  After a month, I called my TA and she was able to apply it to a cruise I already had booked.  The TA had forwarded a email from NCL that awarded the FCC.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

@RocketMan275

It appears in your account but NOT in your account in MY NCL.   It is usually only visible to whoever has arranged the FCC in the first place.   Ours, in the past, only are visible to our PCC.   He only checks on our account when I ask him a question and if there is something there he lets me know.

If you have been informed that you will get some FCC always check with your PCC, if necessary on a weekly basis!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@RocketMan275

It appears in your account but NOT in your account in MY NCL.   It is usually only visible to whoever has arranged the FCC in the first place.   Ours, in the past, only are visible to our PCC.   He only checks on our account when I ask him a question and if there is something there he lets me know.

If you have been informed that you will get some FCC always check with your PCC, if necessary on a weekly basis!!!

Thank  you.  I suspected something like that.  All too often, the distinction between My NCL and the account isn't made.

• Like 1