Advantages /disadvantages of booking a future cruise while you are on board a ship?

Firsttimer25

• Host Kat changed the title to Advantages /disadvantages of booking a future cruise while you are on board a ship?
20 hours ago, Firsttimer25 said:

What are the advantages /disadvantages of booking a future cruise while you are on board a ship?

I've booked future cruises several times while I was onboard - both regular cruises and charters.  I'll discuss the pros and cons of each separately, as they are different:

REGULAR CRUISES

Pros - Can take advantage of whatever incentive/sale is running at the time, some cruise lines offer OBC for booking, sometimes the deposit requirement is reduced for onboard bookings, can talk to someone one-on-one (thanks @George C)

Cons - Cruise information can be tough to get onboard due to iffy phone/Internet connections, future cruise rep may not have all the answers and may be more of an order taker than a true travel agent, expect to pay a separate charge from your folio account for the deposit

CHARTER CRUISES

Pros - Some offer OBC for booking, you can reserve the same cabin for next year's edition (if the ship is the same, and if there is a next year), first priority for available cabins (but behind those who booked before the cruise - that sometimes happens), the price is usually cheaper than for those who book later, can talk to someone one-on-one

Cons - The deposit will be separate from your folio account

Edited by Honolulu Blue

I have booked many cruises while I am on board a cruise. .There are times when I get a much better Single Supplement because the cruise line is running a special on the cruise I want to take so yes, I put a deposit down. If I can save $$$$ by booking on board?  I may not do it every time but I certainly look at the offerings😀 

• Like 3

On 4/29/2023 at 12:59 PM, George C said:

I like taking to somebody one on one and they normally speak English .

Do not underestimate the value of speaking one-on-one in English (assuming, of course, that's your native language).  I just called the Royal Caribbean website a few days ago, and while I appreciated the person who helped me, I really had a hard time understanding what she was saying.  

On 4/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, John Bull said:

Disadvantage is that you're not in a position to compare prices / itineraries / etc with those of competitors, and are inclined to be "swept along"

True, but you can work against this by "doing your homework" and picking out a cruise before you leave home.  

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Purchase a Future Cruise Deposit if available .

This will get you the reduced deposit and OBC and give you time to research your next cruise without the Sales Pressure onboard.

I'm definitely going to do this next time!  We've been caught off guard twice now since we "returned to cruising": 

- We found a fantastic $99 deal, which would've been even better if we'd had a Next Cruise Credit with which to purchase it. 

- We decided to do a family cruise, and I wish we'd had a Next Cruise Credit with which to purchase it.  

Gotta step up my game and be better prepared.  

On 4/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, Lois R said:

I have booked many cruises while I am on board a cruise. .There are times when I get a much better Single Supplement because the cruise line is running a special on the cruise I want to take so yes, I put a deposit down. If I can save $$$$ by booking on board?  I may not do it every time but I certainly look at the offerings😀 

You're not going to save $$$$ by booking onboard, but you'll save $.  And that's better than 0.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You're not going to save $$$$ by booking onboard, but you'll save $.  And that's better than 0.  

So you have one $ sign and I have 4 $$$$........on my particular sailing I am saving a large chuck of change by having booked on board......more than 25% off my total so that is why I put 4 dollar signs.

Of course, each cruise line may vary but in my case? It is much more than $.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Do not underestimate the value of speaking one-on-one in English (assuming, of course, that's your native language).  I just called the Royal Caribbean website a few days ago, and while I appreciated the person who helped me, I really had a hard time understanding what she was saying.  

True, but you can work against this by "doing your homework" and picking out a cruise before you leave home.  

I'm definitely going to do this next time!  We've been caught off guard twice now since we "returned to cruising": 

- We found a fantastic $99 deal, which would've been even better if we'd had a Next Cruise Credit with which to purchase it. 

- We decided to do a family cruise, and I wish we'd had a Next Cruise Credit with which to purchase it.  

Gotta step up my game and be better prepared.  

I sometimes need to call multiple times until I get someone I can understand this goes for rccl and celebrity it wasn’t like this a few years ago.