Watching Eagles in the wild

oceanbums

6 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

The first time I saw an eagle fly by the ship in the morning at our first port of call, Ketchikan, I was just amazed.  Couldn't believe it at first.  Grabbed the binos and a camera and took like 30 photos.

By the end of the trip you almost become jaded:  "Oh, there's another bald eagle..."

I fish for king salmon every year in Juneau.  We gut the fish on the beach and the eagles clean up the mess.  It's amazing to see them swoop down within feet of us.  They're such beautiful creatures.  I can't get enough of them.  🙂 

We have them here in WA as well, just not as abundant.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

The first time I saw an eagle fly by the ship in the morning at our first port of call, Ketchikan, I was just amazed.  Couldn't believe it at first.  Grabbed the binos and a camera and took like 30 photos.

By the end of the trip you almost become jaded:  "Oh, there's another bald eagle..."

Hey Rothko, did any of the pictures come out clear? Inquiring minds would like to know!!

You will see them all around - just look for the 'golf balls' in the trees.  Definitely bring binoculars with you, especially on board. We got lucky and saw this guy and a friend just hanging out in the trees above us as we were walking along Creek Street in Ketchikan. Enjoy your cruise!

5146.jpg.79c02696e3999df4cd398db39982e7ec.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, Saint Greg said:

I saw them every stop in Alaska. But for an eagle watching tour, this one in Ketchikan was pretty good.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/ketchikan-lighthouse-totems-eagles/

I booked it through a cruise line but this is the company. Their dock is actually right next to the NCL port. Which was about a 20 min shuttle from the main port.

https://lighthouseexcursion.com/

0F597A72-BF0C-4141-AC29-E18990BD6FEA.thu

We loved this excursion! We saw plenty of eagles, along with 2 humpback whales! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

We loved this excursion! We saw plenty of eagles, along with 2 humpback whales! 

No whales for me on that one but plenty of eagles....and a raven...and sea lions.

Edited by Saint Greg

26 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

forgot to ask, did you have you're tripod with you?

No tripods in Alaska for me. My Olympus camera has lots of both body and lens stabilization for hand-holding.  Shooting at higher speeds of 1/2000th of a second does not require a tripod. 

FWIW my favorite seat for photographs on the Aleutian Ballad is right above the orange life preserver at the railing, so get aboard ASAP:

image.jpeg.c256ec92eac69ea6c1b24ed61993fb7b.jpeg

I loved our excursion on the Aleutian Ballad.  It was awesome when they threw out fish for the eagles.  I don't have expensive camera equipment so I was thrilled at the photos I was able to get from the boat. 

IMG_2075_1.thumb.jpg.fd9c37f01fc6c20d5335aa7fd364ff2a.jpgIMG_2148_1.thumb.jpg.e44c37d78566cf7acc008f195f21b07f.jpgIMG_2194_1.thumb.jpg.4534ed893bdc3b786e8a224c5ee4ed60.jpg

IMG_2127_1.thumb.jpg.1cd68463f614fb78e1ebbd313524c9bb.jpg

IMG_2216_1.thumb.jpg.aba1756e6ef81db9c5436e8822ce4efb.jpg

IMG_2081_2.jpg

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 1