Bringing wine on board

West Windsor girl

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Bring what you like!  One of the SS advantages.

The more you bring the less they have to supply.  Works for them and for passengers who have specific tastes or find something in a port they’d like to try.   👍

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, West Windsor girl said:

What is Silversea’s policy on bringing wine on board? We are on the Dawn leaving Lisbon and would like to bring some nice port on board.

Funny story about bringing port on board in Lisbon on Silversea.  We were out and about in Lisbon and purchased some very nice port.  We were going back to the ship, and they made us go through metal detectors run by the port authority, not by Silversea, before boarding.  The guy running the metal detector picked up our bottle of port and said "You can't take this onboard."  Now we have close to 200 nights on silversea, and I knew he was either just wrong and ill informed or lying in order to try a score a bottle for himself.  So I threw a fit.  They got someone from the ship who confirmed it was ok to take it onboard.  And we went on with our port. 

So beware.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

Funny story about bringing port on board in Lisbon on Silversea.  We were out and about in Lisbon and purchased some very nice port.  We were going back to the ship, and they made us go through metal detectors run by the port authority, not by Silversea, before boarding.  The guy running the metal detector picked up our bottle of port and said "You can't take this onboard."  Now we have close to 200 nights on silversea, and I knew he was either just wrong and ill informed or lying in order to try a score a bottle for himself.  So I threw a fit.  They got someone from the ship who confirmed it was ok to take it onboard.  And we went on with our port. 

So beware.

Maybe the same guy runs the metal detector for Carnival, etc.

Did the port have a metallic taste when you tried it?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RachelG said:

So beware.

I am just back home from the Dawn , cruise ending in Lisbon.

Those private security people are sometimes terrible   -  worsest was in Valencia 

shouting to the guests :  hat off , watch in box in a rude way 

• Like 1

If anyone has flown from Lukla airport in Nepal they might recognise this:

A group of 12 of us were returning from Everest base camp flying from Lukla to Kathmandu. The security guy at the airport confiscated things he claimed were hazardous on board the aircraft; these included: cigarettes, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, thick woolen socks, chocolate (that must have been particularly dangerous as he was ruthless in his search for it) and other well-known items perilous to air travel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

If anyone has flown from Lukla airport in Nepal they might recognise this:

A group of 12 of us were returning from Everest base camp flying from Lukla to Kathmandu. The security guy at the airport confiscated things he claimed were hazardous on board the aircraft; these included: cigarettes, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, thick woolen socks, chocolate (that must have been particularly dangerous as he was ruthless in his search for it) and other well-known items perilous to air travel. 

Too late, but now you know what to give in place of tips.

• Haha 1