Ordering all courses at once

new2cruise

On 5/5/2023 at 3:21 PM, wowzz said:

Never been on a Princess ship with a 7:30 show. They are normally later than that.

There are 2 shows and most ships are running them at 7:30 and 9:30 pm. 
The first one is for those that dine between 5-6 or want to make an early trivia or game show activity. 

9 hours ago, Dunk said:

In the Princess app, under Preferences >Dining, you can note the speed that you prefer to dine. Whether they look at that or not, who knows. 

IMG_1204.png

I would have to say they do not pay attention to that, at all. I requested these things on the app. - fast pace, table for two and close to a window. That happened only once in 21 nights. Some nights, even with our reservation they had no tables for two and asked us to share a large table, which I know only adds more time onto an already long dinner.

I don’t mind waiting between courses, but at least clear the dishes away. The empty dirty dishes sat at our table for 25 minutes. Also…when they offer coffee and dessert, you can bet they bring the coffee near after the dessert is eaten. It was usually 20 minutes after the offer that it was brought.  I always feel bad leaving my coffee, but 2 hours is as long as I am willing to sit for a dinner for two people. 

42 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I would have to say they do not pay attention to that, at all. I requested these things on the app. - fast pace, table for two and close to a window. That happened only once in 21 nights. Some nights, even with our reservation they had no tables for two and asked us to share a large table, which I know only adds more time onto an already long dinner.

I don’t mind waiting between courses, but at least clear the dishes away. The empty dirty dishes sat at our table for 25 minutes. Also…when they offer coffee and dessert, you can bet they bring the coffee near after the dessert is eaten. It was usually 20 minutes after the offer that it was brought.  I always feel bad leaving my coffee, but 2 hours is as long as I am willing to sit for a dinner for two people. 

Totally unacceptable.  If we have a reservation for a table for two and they don't have it, I would ask the desk to contact the other two dining rooms and see if we could be accommodated.  Luckily we never had problems during the 12 times we ate in the MDR on the Discovery last year.  Hopefully we won't have any problems this year on our 14 nights on the Majestic.

Edited by CruizinSusan70

10 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Totally unacceptable.  If we have a reservation for a table for two and they don't have it, I would ask the desk to contact the other two dining rooms and see if we could be accommodated.  Luckily we never had problems during the 12 times we ate in the MDR on the Discovery last year.  Hopefully we won't have any problems this year on our 14 nights on the Majestic.

There was one night they called down to the other MDR for us, and they found us a table. All in all, we had a good cruise and I try not to let the little things that go sideways ruin it. 

The thing that was very frustrating is every single day we kept getting charged for drinks. After the fifth time, GS  “ documented “ it. After the 7 th time they emailed the bar manager, and in fact while I was standing at GS, it happened again. I asked nicely how this could be corrected, they said to just come every couple of days to have them removed, and that it happens alot. I asked if I could wait until the end of our 21 days, they said not to, as I would be waiting a long time for them to remove them all. After the 10th time in less than one week, we got a visit one morning while we were in the buffet from Helena, the Asst. Bar Manager. She apologized and said they couldn’t figure out why it kept happening, except that people in another cabin with a reversed cabin number had the drink package, and that maybe the bar staff weren’t paying close enough to the cabin number. 
She said the GS would be monitoring our account and removing any charges and not to worry about it anymore. I took her at her word.  She also provided us with a complimentary dinner at the Crown Grill. I didn’t expect anything, nor would I have asked. I just wanted to be able to enjoy our vacation and not worry about checking our account every day and having to go and get the charges removed. 

We also had a great conversation with Yalcin, the Lido manger on one of the formal nights when we decided to pass on the MDR. He asked how we were enjoying our dinner. I hesitated in my answer, but he pressed me for my thoughts. We had a great conversation about the good old days that I remember when the meal there was pretty good on those nights and they actually had candles on the tables.  Some tables were set nicely, as well. 
He told those days are gone and that he appreciated my honest comments without me being angry about it. A little later, he came back to our table with the Asst. Manager, Felix, and asked us a few more questions and then said he’d like to offer us a specialty dining evening. We did not accept it, as by that time, Helena had already given us one. I am just hoping that my comments to him meant something, and they can make some small changes. I understand cutbacks and I want the cruise line to continue, but seeing the same chips and salsa from lunch still being served when we first walked in astonished me. I told him that I understood if they needed to serve them, but at least put them at the back and not be the first thing you saw upon entering the buffet. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:13 PM, Kay S said:

It isn't an option anymore.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:42 PM, Shmoo here said:

Well, that's a bummer.  

Princess still promises the TD experience and many many guests have been successful in requesting and getting same table and waiters each evening.  You have to request and work with DR mgmt and you should have success.

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess still promises the TD experience and many many guests have been successful in requesting and getting same table and waiters each evening.  You have to request and work with DR mgmt and you should have success.

On our B2B last year on the Discovery, we went to the MDR 12/14 nights and had the same server at a two top that had enough room for me to stay in my scooter at.  It helped of course that we promised we would be at the table by 545 each evening so they could easily turn it by 715 for another couple.

• Like 2

Guest ldtr
14 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I just finished reading the thread.  I thought there was only one page, LOL   I guess the 7:30 and 9:30 are for US based sailings.  We usually go in around 5:15 and are out about 6:45, table for 4 or 6, people that we cruise with.   Waiting for other people to finish was one of the reasons we didn't like sitting at a table with others.   We almost always go to the 7:30 show and either a game, movie or music after that.

not entirely. currently on a UK cruise out of Southampton. show times also 7:30 and 9:30.  Was on a Sputh America cruise a couple of months ago. times also 7:30 and 9:30. 

So more than US based cruises.

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think it has been agreed, more or less, that on UK and European cruises,  the shows are  later.

Just because shows in Australia are at 7:30 does not mean that the same times are adhered to throughout the world. 

On the just completed Island Princess world cruise, the show times were 7:30 and 9:30 no matter what part of the world the ship was in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

When I made the DMW reservations six months ahead of an upcoming cruise, the only available option was tables for two.

I suspect many people are going to be disappointed when they find the tables for two will really be tables for four, six, or eight. There just are not enough tables for two available.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

That's my point.  When we book a cruise and select traditional dining, I don't have to "work with the DR mgmt" to get the same table/servers every night, it's already set up that way.

26 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

That's my point.  When we book a cruise and select traditional dining, I don't have to "work with the DR mgmt" to get the same table/servers every night, it's already set up that way.

and you also knew:

o the table would be ready at the announced time every evening

o the timing would work with the Princess Theater show times

o if at a table for 4,6, or 8, you would have the same dining companions every evening

Guest ldtr
8 hours ago, caribill said:

and you also knew:

o the table would be ready at the announced time every evening

o the timing would work with the Princess Theater show times

o if at a table for 4,6, or 8, you would have the same dining companions every evening

You also knew that a lot of the seats at the tables would be empty, because the people assigned to them changed to anytime or made other plans because they wanted more flexibility.

On many of our cruises before the DMW was implemented the td dining room would be less then half full for early dining, and people would be brought down from anytime overflow and placed at empty tables.

55 minutes ago, caribill said:

When I made the DMW reservations six months ahead of an upcoming cruise, the only available option was tables for two.

I suspect many people are going to be disappointed when they find the tables for two will really be tables for four, six, or eight. There just are not enough tables for two available.

I have a WC booked in 2025. My partner and I like to eat late, but if I wanted to select a shared table, I had to pick a slot before 6:20PM. As I had 113 nights to select a table, I opted for the whole cruise dining plan option and had to select a private table for 2 for 7:40PM. I would be delighted if those turn into tables for 6, or 8 as I’m definitely a fan of a large TD table when cruising. 

8 minutes ago, ldtr said:
9 minutes ago, ldtr said:

You also knew that a lot of the seats at the tables would be empty, because the people assigned to them changed to anytime or made other plans because they wanted more flexibility.

I can't speak for other tables, but when we had traditional dining our assigned table companions were there almost every evening, only not being there (and announced in advance) when going to a specialty restaurant.

Sometimes in the past tables were empty because:

a) TAs did not explain dining options to new cruisers and the new cruisers just assumed they were supposed to eat at the buffet each evening, not realizing they had spots reserved in a dining room.

b) Some new cruisers avoided going to the assigned traditional dining room because they thought they would be charged extra each evening if they ate there.

8 minutes ago, ldtr said:
9 minutes ago, ldtr said:

On many of our cruises before the DMW was implemented the td dining room would be less then half full for early dining, and people would be brought down from anytime overflow and placed at empty tables.

Yes, sometimes not all TD tables were signed up for, so bringing guests waiting for AT tables down to the TD dining room was the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, caribill said:

On the just completed Island Princess world cruise, the show times were 7:30 and 9:30 no matter what part of the world the ship was in.

how was the Island during that cruise? Any issues with ship maintenance?

5 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Also…when they offer coffee and dessert, you can bet they bring the coffee near after the dessert is eaten.

Absolutely correct. As a European,  I would want my coffee to be served after dessert.  I don't want it sitting on the table,  going cold, whilst I am eating.

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, caribill said:

I can't speak for other tables, but when we had traditional dining our assigned table companions were there almost every evening, only not being there (and announced in advance) when going to a specialty restaurant.

Sometimes in the past tables were empty because:

a) TAs did not explain dining options to new cruisers and the new cruisers just assumed they were supposed to eat at the buffet each evening, not realizing they had spots reserved in a dining room.

b) Some new cruisers avoided going to the assigned traditional dining room because they thought they would be charged extra each evening if they ate there.

Yes, sometimes not all TD tables were signed up for, so bringing guests waiting for AT tables down to the TD dining room was the right thing to do.

Considering how few passengers are first timers on most cruises. Usually 10 to 20%. Even if all of them did not understand, rather unlikely. It would not come close to  accounting for how low the turn out was in traditional in the last couple of years before DMW was rolled out. Attendance tended to get worse as the cruises went on, not better which was the opposite of what one would expect if your theory about ill informed first timers was correct.

15 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Considering how few passengers are first timers on most cruises. Usually 10 to 20%. Even if all of them did not understand, rather unlikely. It would not come close to  accounting for how low the turn out was in traditional in the last couple of years before DMW was rolled out. Attendance tended to get worse as the cruises went on, not better which was the opposite of what one would expect if your theory about ill informed first timers was correct.

I am not saying the main reason the tavles are empty is due to misunderstandings by new cruisers, only some of the empty chairs.

I suspect most empty tables are the result of lack of demand for those TD times.

One thing I have observed is that some people in TD only attended on formal evenings and some were there every evening except on formal evenings.

It makes little difference if you have a reservation or not.  Turn up at a MDR of your choice, at a time of your choosing, and ask for a table for two. Worse case scenario, you will be given a buzzer and have to wait 15 minutes.

12 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Waiting for other people to finish was one of the reasons we didn't like sitting at a table with others.   We almost always go to the 7:30 show and either a game, movie or music after that.

Thai's the main reason why we gave up eating with others. If you want to get to the main show & get a seat, waiting for others to finish dinner can be aggravating. 

11 hours ago, memoak said:

We sail in suites so we eat in club class we often have to tell the waiters to slow it down

I didn't realize that the waiters in Club Class were that fast. 

11 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I didn't realize that the waiters in Club Class were that fast

They certainly are, due, I guess, to the relatively small number of diners. We too had to ask them to wait 15 minutes or so between courses. 

7 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Not for a PCL cruise anymore.... and I am thinking some others as well from posts I recall.  If TD is important, you either pick a cruise line that offers it, or work within the constraints and opportunities that Princess offers.  I don't see them going back to the old way at all, so I adapt and learn to live within it or I take business elsewhere.

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Not for a PCL cruise anymore.... and I am thinking some others as well from posts I recall.  If TD is important, you either pick a cruise line that offers it, or work within the constraints and opportunities that Princess offers.  I don't see them going back to the old way at all, so I adapt and learn to live within it or I take business elsewhere.

personally I would to see them go to the next level on the App. So you make the reservation or check in via App and have the App show your table number when it is ready. Other cruise lines are doing that and it works quite well. Gets rid of the check in lines

5 minutes ago, ldtr said:

personally I would to see them go to the next level on the App. So you make the reservation or check in via App and have the App show your table number when it is ready. Other cruise lines are doing that and it works quite well. Gets rid of the check in lines

Sure, but they cannot execute well on what they have now.

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Sure, but they cannot execute well on what they have now.

That would actually be easier than what they have now which requires more interactions and is more labor intensive. Going to the fully App system would actually be simpler than what they have now.

The problem is that it might be too much of a leap into technology for some of the luddites on Princess.

Edited by ldtr