Port of Livorno regulations - Only beer and wine allowed????

gregluk

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey...I'm with you! This situation, and others, is making me think I'll be booking my last cruise on NCL for quite some time (FCC and Cruise Next to burn still). It's not the alcohol, it's the principles...as in The. Point. 

I asked if the person booked the cruise solely for the drink package as it seems an interesting way to decide on booking a cruise. But hey, everyone makes decisions differently. 

I laughed when I read your original post. I knew how you felt about the current situation and realized it was just a musing question. Yes one of the reasons we go with NCL is the drink package. We are in our 70’s. Probably have 6-8 drinks a day on a sea day. We enjoy the time on board.We don’t get off at all ports anymore. One time we were invited to cruise with some people in the 3 bedroom villa. At that time only guests 1 and 2 got the drink package. (Now I think everyone gets it) Yes there was liquor in the villa but we like to drink in the bars. Even though we were in the villa it was our least favorite accommodations . Our bar bill wasn’t huge at the end…it was the fact that it wasn’t “free”.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, altriperin said:

They charge us all the time. In port and on sea. We left Naples yesterday and today is a sea day. Tomorrow we will arrive in Palma de Mallorca. This aren't local taxes. We have seven ports in three different countries. 

It wasn't communicated before the cruise. 

Is the Epic doing the Western Med round trips now? These have always had the problem with the taxes being paid through the whole cruise as it doesn't leave the EU. Until recently they weren't charging those who have the beverage package though.

I believe there is a valid reason for the taxes being charged throughout the cruise rather than just in port.  The question is whether they should be charging you.

Not that any of this helps you though. Must be very frustrating.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Is the Epic doing the Western Med round trips now? These have always had the problem with the taxes being paid through the whole cruise as it doesn't leave the EU. Until recently they weren't charging those who have the beverage package though.

I believe there is a valid reason for the taxes being charged throughout the cruise rather than just in port.  The question is whether they should be charging you.

Not that any of this helps you though. Must be very frustrating.

It is frustration when NCL collected almost $90 in taxes from us during our recent visit to 4 Spanish ports. We had the Free at Sea package and it didn't make sense how we could have to pay tax on something that was free. Here in the US, sales tax is calculated on purchase price net of any discounts. We asked guest services if we could see a receipt for the transactions because I was curious as to what a receipt would show. They told us there was no receipt available and that the finance department was required to collect the taxes. We didn't pursue it as we were on vacation and just wanted to have a good time. It is definitely a lesson learned, though. My guess is that NCL collected money from us that will never be remitted to Spain, but that is an issue between NCL and Spain. In the US, if a business collects a tax rightly or wrongly, it is required to turn that money over to the appropriate taxing authority or face sever penalties.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

. We asked guest services if we could see a receipt for the transactions because I was curious as to what a receipt would show. They told us there was no receipt available and that the finance department was required to collect the taxes.

Sounds really dodgy to me.

Not about alcohol but theme of drinks:  when we were leaving the Gem for port days every day during our recent Croatia and Slovenia cruise there were notices saying that absolutely no ood and drink allowed off.  They cited it was the law.  A few metres away from this notice, still on the ship, was a table selling containers of water.  These were the same containers of water that we were not allowed to take off the ship because it was illegal.  I didn’t make a fuss, it was not so hot that I needed extra water.  I did think “hmmm how does that work?”

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mommapadraig said:

I laughed when I read your original post. I knew how you felt about the current situation and realized it was just a musing question. Yes one of the reasons we go with NCL is the drink package. We are in our 70’s. Probably have 6-8 drinks a day on a sea day. We enjoy the time on board.We don’t get off at all ports anymore. One time we were invited to cruise with some people in the 3 bedroom villa. At that time only guests 1 and 2 got the drink package. (Now I think everyone gets it) Yes there was liquor in the villa but we like to drink in the bars. Even though we were in the villa it was our least favorite accommodations . Our bar bill wasn’t huge at the end…it was the fact that it wasn’t “free”.

That's fair! And yes, just musing...on a really tough topic. My mistake as I should have been more clear. We're new to cruising and don't get off at all the ports (i.e. Miami, Orlando). But we're also super cheap and try not to get drinks in those ports. Yea, I know...it's a mere dollar or two per drink. But, I do know that if I had an embarkation day "traditional" drink I'd be very upset if I couldn't get it. My husband would be too - thankfully his traditional drink has no alcohol in it so we're good to go! 

Sea days! I actually have had 6 - 8 drinks on a sea day. I had the absolute best nap of my life the afternoon of one of my sea days after a bartender plied me with drink after drink...cuz, ya know, I just couldn't say no! 🙂 

Thanks for answering! It's helpful to learn from other's perspectives about their cruise experiences. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

If you've followed NCL for any number of years, they have made a reputation for themselves as one of the cheapest cruise lines in the industry. Whether it be last minute itinerary changes in the name of unforeseen circumstances, unilaterally cancelling a paid passengers reservation a month ago and then refusing to refund the money, advertising a service, collecting money for it, then failing to deliver said service, or collecting over $80 in Spanish sales tax from us when we had the Free at Sea program. I have now learned that those sales taxes were not required to be collected. They've also just cancelled the entire 2024 Alaska sailing for one of their ships disrupting thousands of people's pre booked vacations. They did this because they had the opportunity to make more money by chartering the ship. Great business decision, unless you were one of the thousands impacted. I could go on if you need more, but I realize that it would twist your mind so badly to even think any of the above could possibly have happened let alone be NCLs fault.  Have a good life. I'm out.

You don’t have to be out. There is an ignore feature available on CC. I found out how to do it by a google search.Nclguy64 or whatever his name is has disappeared from my feed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

This is a similar situation where NCL Customer "Service" assured us prior to our January Prima cruise that our reservation satisfied all of the requirements for the six free cartons of water. In fact, the rep  "Guaranteed" (her word) that the water would be waiting for us in our cabin. Guess what...no water at boarding...or ever. After standing in line for 25 minutes at the onboard "service" desk, once we got to the front of the line we were flatly told "NO", we would not be getting the water. I elevated it to a Supervisor, who also flatly told us that we didn't qualify for free bottled water. (Well, no kidding...we were promised the CARTONS, not the bottles). In any case, we got no water...in any container...and they acted like WE were the ones lying.

Yes, it's only water...but it's the principle and the fact they they didn't hold up their end of the bargain and made us out to feel like the bad guys.

As the head of a major movie studio once said, "An oral contract isn't worth the paper it's written on."  As many on Cruise Critic have reported, that seems to be case with promises, guarantees, and assurances made by NCL telephone agents.  They either don't know, don't care, or have no control over the things they promise.  Get the facts in writing if you want to have a leg to stand on.  Even then, as many have reported, you may be denied, get the runaround, of be shortchanged for something you have written proof that you are entitled to receive.  It's unfortunate, but all too often true.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I should have been more clear. We're new to cruising

You have more than 3300 posts on Cruise Critic.  I'm not sure that I understand why you think of yourself as "new to cruising."  Not a complaint or criticism, just a bit of confusion on my part.

41 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

As the head of a major movie studio once said, "An oral contract isn't worth the paper it's written on."  As many on Cruise Critic have reported, that seems to be case with promises, guarantees, and assurances made by NCL telephone agents.  They either don't know, don't care, or have no control over the things they promise.  Get the facts in writing if you want to have a leg to stand on.  Even then, as many have reported, you may be denied, get the runaround, of be shortchanged for something you have written proof that you are entitled to receive.  It's unfortunate, but all too often true.

Actually, I had it in writing. A copied the chat transcript of our on-line conversation and showed it to Customer "Service" on the ship. Didn't matter...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

You have more than 3300 posts on Cruise Critic.  I'm not sure that I understand why you think of yourself as "new to cruising."  Not a complaint or criticism, just a bit of confusion on my part.

Haha, no I'm just a blabber mouth that posts a lot! I have cruised a total of five times. Once on Carnival way back in 2009, and four times with NCL since April, 2022. 

I have a boring job that allows me to peruse the forums quite a lot during the day which means I post too much. Some would say far too much. 🙂 I absolutely defer to those with more experience on many topics (but I still run my mouth...errr, type my words). 

But, thank you! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Krydstosser said:

I got the drinks package but other paying guests without can not buy?? To me this is crazy! 

She kept repeating “those with the drink package” I’m guessing it has to do with what fees they have paid to serve while in port. But that’s a guess. I always get the drink package. 

18 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

My guess is that NCL collected money from us that will never be remitted to Spain, but that is an issue between NCL and Spain. In the US, if a business collects a tax rightly or wrongly, it is required to turn that money over to the appropriate taxing authority or face sever penalties.

You can be sure that the financial authorities in the EU will collect every single cent which a cruise line owes them. 😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

She kept repeating “those with the drink package” I’m guessing it has to do with what fees they have paid to serve while in port. But that’s a guess. I always get the drink package. 

Do you know what this thread is about? It does not seems that way! You do not offed me with calling me a girl. I must disappoint you. 

Should guest without the drink package not be aloud to buy a drink when in port? 

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

There was an official explanation given, which clarifies that this was not some late tax issue, as NCL "further investigated", they stated "on further investigation, we have clarified that beverage service is permitted aboard while the vessel is in port within the UK or within proximity".. So they messed up it looks like (or chose to interpret things incorrectly to save costs but I'd like to think this isn't it), I'd imagine they would continue to blame UK regulations and late notifications if th y could so I can only assume it's not that. 

The poster you are replying to doesn't get it. They believe what they believe. Unless they see an affirmative post on each of the competitions message boards stating the bars are open, they could be closed in his or her mind. Most fair thinking people can deduce that if no one is posting about it, all is well. Plus, the specific issue in question was asked on the P&O boards and the MSC boards. There were overwhelming responses that the bars are all open and serving. No issues. But, again, this poster refuses to acknowledge this and has made the decision to give NCL the benefit of the doubt. They can't wrap their mind around anything but an honest mistake by NCL. 

I think they have free at sea on an upcoming sailing but said they are intending to bring additional bottles of wine onboard in case NCL plays games on their upcoming cruise. So, sounds to me like there is substantial doubt about the honest mistake. Why else would you bring your own wine on as an insurance policy?

• Like 6

Paul Simon wrote this line in the lyrics of the song "The Boxer:"

"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Can we agree that one frequent poster to this and similar threads fits that description to a T?  At this point, wouldn't a prudent course of action be for the rest of us simply to select the Cruise Critic "Ignore" option in our profile settings and just move on with our lives?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On a related topic. I have been doing some research on the port of Malaga (Granada) Spain. We will be going there in August on the Getaway. I was on the website: What's in Port. Malaga Spain Cruise Port Guide. 

It writes about the modern terminal building that has all the necessary facilities for cruise passengers including a shopping mall with duty free shops. 

It goes on the say " As your hand luggage is checked by the port authorities itself before entering the modern terminal, there is ample opportunity to stock up on your favorite alcoholic beverage in the competitive priced tax-free shops before boarding. No carry on bags will be checked when boarding the ship. Some cruise lines i.e. NCL apparently have negotiated that the duty free store in the terminal remains closed or partially open as not to jeopardize their on board sales". 

Is this standard procedure to have the port terminal close the duty free shops for a cruise line? (So they may not serve you or let you buy it?) Or is this because NCL does not allow you to bring spirits on board? I just have never heard of this before. 

27 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

On a related topic. I have been doing some research on the port of Malaga (Granada) Spain. We will be going there in August on the Getaway. I was on the website: What's in Port. Malaga Spain Cruise Port Guide. 

It writes about the modern terminal building that has all the necessary facilities for cruise passengers including a shopping mall with duty free shops. 

It goes on the say " As your hand luggage is checked by the port authorities itself before entering the modern terminal, there is ample opportunity to stock up on your favorite alcoholic beverage in the competitive priced tax-free shops before boarding. No carry on bags will be checked when boarding the ship. Some cruise lines i.e. NCL apparently have negotiated that the duty free store in the terminal remains closed or partially open as not to jeopardize their on board sales". 

Is this standard procedure to have the port terminal close the duty free shops for a cruise line? (So they may not serve you or let you buy it?) Or is this because NCL does not allow you to bring spirits on board? I just have never heard of this before. 

Many ports where security is done by the port authority giving up a stash is a voluntary exercise at both embarkation and intermediate ports.

Could well believe there are deals done.

18 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Haha, no I'm just a blabber mouth that posts a lot! I have cruised a total of five times. Once on Carnival way back in 2009, and four times with NCL since April, 2022. 

I have a boring job that allows me to peruse the forums quite a lot during the day which means I post too much. Some would say far too much. 🙂 I absolutely defer to those with more experience on many topics (but I still run my mouth...errr, type my words). 

But, thank you! 

Hopefully you don't work for NORAD.

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Paul Simon wrote this line in the lyrics of the song "The Boxer:"

"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Can we agree that one frequent poster to this and similar threads fits that description to a T?  At this point, wouldn't a prudent course of action be for the rest of us simply to select the Cruise Critic "Ignore" option in our profile settings and just move on with our lives?

ignore done last week.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, macattack1111 said:

My question to you professional lurkers...are passengers being charged Tax..vat or whatever you want to call it when purchasing a drink with or without a drinks package in Spanish ports.

Most European ports has Tax/Vat on Alcohol/Spirits so when in port and you will get charged. 

It looks like NCL still only serve Beer and Wine in Italian an Spanish ports. I believe they did not paid for an Alcohol License. RCL, Celebrity, P&O does serve when in ports. 

Edited by Krydstosser