Longtime Royal cruisers tries MSC

Morecruisesplz

Not live... too cheap to buy wifi. 45 + cruises on Royal. Booked an inexpensive 4 night MSC on Seaside May 7 to try it. Bella class. Booked an inside but they were full so gave us a balcony. 13190. Nice cabin. Small but effecient bathroom w/ a tub/shower.

Our check-in was at 2:00 but arrived at 12. No one cared! We were in the buffet on deck 6 at 12:20. Love there buffet with big signs for each station. Also a buffet on deck 8 so no problem finding seats. 

We were assigned 5:30 dining without asking at a table for 2. Perfect. (Did not miss having to beg the headwaiter like on Royal.

Its a big, beautiful ship but its odd not knowing our way around like on Royal.

More later!

20230507_143707.jpg

20230507_143604.jpg

20230507_143601.jpg

20230507_132423.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Muster drill is wonkie. Report to your cabin, watch video, dial a number to verify, then go to your station to scan card. Started at 4pm. 35 minutes later people are trying to find their cabins taking the stairs. I should have got a drink at 3:55!

• Like 1

That 4th picture is about the only thing I don't like about the Seaside-Seaview-Seashore-Seascape class of ships. Because there is nearly always music playing in the atrium, whether it's a singer, band or DJ, and because the Reception desk is in that confined space, it's makes it next to impossible to converse with the people in Reception during performances. It's LOUD! But other than that, great ships!

We've noticed that on the RC ships we sail, too: Guest Services, Loyalty Desk, etc. are within the all-day music and games venue, and lots of times it's impossible to hear and be heard at the desk.

• Like 1

Dinner was excellent. Prime rib (twice a Royal portion, hot and tasty). Asked for pasta as a side... "no problem, I will just bring you pasta also." Shrimp cocktail with 5 nice size shrimp, minestrone soup and apple crumble. 

Everything we have asked for was accepted with a smile! We asked that our 2 top table be moved to a wall for the rest of the cruise because tables on each side were close. Headwaiter said he would switch us for rest of cruise. 

The Welcone Aboard show was also very good. Singers with great voices, dancers with amazing skill and tricks. (How do they spin girls that fast w_o getting dizzy?)

Cabin was quiet and breakfast on the balcony was delicious. 

Ship is full but doesn't feel crowded at all. 

A+ so far!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Dinner was excellent. Prime rib (twice a Royal portion, hot and tasty). Asked for pasta as a side... "no problem, I will just bring you pasta also." Shrimp cocktail with 5 nice size shrimp, minestrone soup and apple crumble. 

Everything we have asked for was accepted with a smile! We asked that our 2 top table be moved to a wall for the rest of the cruise because tables on each side were close. Headwaiter said he would switch us for rest of cruise. 

The Welcone Aboard show was also very good. Singers with great voices, dancers with amazing skill and tricks. (How do they spin girls that fast w_o getting dizzy?)

Cabin was quiet and breakfast on the balcony was delicious. 

Ship is full but doesn't feel crowded at all. 

A+ so far!

20230508_135142.jpg

20230508_130946.jpg

20230507_201704.jpg

20230507_192431.jpg

• Like 3

Miami Beach on deck 16 aft has lots of lounges. It is outside a 2nd buffet. I even found a lounge in the shade.

For lunch we had delicious white fish, rice with a bean and greens garnish, and we had to try the popular pizza. It was far superior to Sorrentinos, with an excellent crust and flavorful sauce and cheese. Desserts were refilled constantly instead of hundreds being put out at once. Supervisors in the area keep food replenished and tables cleaned by actually instructing staff rather than just watching. 

• Like 8

I will be on seaside with my DM in a few weeks. Your review is so timely. Thank you! We have sailed MSC before which is why we keep going back but I wonder what it is that is driving seasoned cruisers such as yourself on RCL and others to try MSc. Is it the price on RCL, diminished food quality, going from 2 times to 1 time daily cabin service?  What was your tipping point…if you don’t mind sharing?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I will be on seaside with my DM in a few weeks. Your review is so timely. Thank you! We have sailed MSC before which is why we keep going back but I wonder what it is that is driving seasoned cruisers such as yourself on RCL and others to try MSc. Is it the price on RCL, diminished food quality, going from 2 times to 1 time daily cabin service?  What was your tipping point…if you don’t mind sharing?

In our case, food quality and reduced services to cut cost. If we have to eat in a specialty restaurant most nights for decent food, the cruise cost goes way up. Food had been on a steady slide down but the new menus and doing away with the classics did it for us. (We have 6 cruises booked with Royal. If the next few days are like yesterday and today on MSC we will have to rethink those.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grahat said:

If possible could you post a photo of the daily planner, just wondering what the dinner times are in the mdr each night, is it two sittings or three?

Of course. MSC still does paper planners! Today's is gone but will post tonight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Is it the price on RCL, diminished food quality, going from 2 times to 1 time daily cabin service?  What was your tipping point…if you don’t mind sharing?

I still do cruises on all lines so to me it's about variety. All the MSC ships in the American market are very new and beautiful. But we've done MSC cruises out of Martinique, Dubai (twice) and Jeddah that you just can't do on other lines. And with those unusual home ports, spectacular destination ports too. And yes, the prices are (usually) pretty impressive too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

What are the chances we will finally be on the same cruise?  😁

For us, it is the pricing.  We were able to book 2 balconies for 3 of us on the last two cruises (Meraviglia and Seascape).  Even with 2 balconies it was cheaper than booking ONE balcony for 3 cruisers on RCL.  We do have an RCL and Carnival cruise booked - one to use an FCC, another to enjoy a ship with mini-golf and additional free dining options for a change.  However, our go to brand right now is MSC for the price.  As bonus, we love the food and most of the entertainment on MSC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Lol.. we embark June 3rd. How about you?

We will be there! 💃 We embark May 28th for B2B - 11 days.  🙂  If you want to meet, call our cabin at 9155.  If you just want to remain 'anonymous', we understand that too!

My mom will also be cruising with us.  She lives in Namibia and this will be her first trip to the USA since 2019.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are trying MSC (as well as NCL) to swap things up and keep things "fresh" on our favorite cruiseline. But who knows....MSC may become our favorite after we try them! The YC is pretty darn appealing, I can't wait to see how that turns out to be!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pirate4me2 said:

We are trying MSC (as well as NCL) to swap things up and keep things "fresh" on our favorite cruiseline. But who knows....MSC may become our favorite after we try them! The YC is pretty darn appealing, I can't wait to see how that turns out to be!

Don’t say you weren’t warned. One YC cruise and you will be hooked.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are a month out from our Seaside cruise. Diamond on RCCl and their prices are ridiculous. Looks like the June 11th sailing has no insides so i cannot get the prices but the June 4th is currently listed at $3060 PP plus taxes/fess for an inside on Wonder OTS. We're on Seaside for less than $2700 total in a balcony with drinks, wi-fi, and $225 OBC. RIDICULOUS! Don't care that it is the newest Oasis class. Been on 10 or so Oasis class cruises and the upgrades/changes have little value to us.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1