Getting to Trunk Bay from St Thomas Port

newmil

There are 2 ports. Hopefully this thread includes getting from where you dock, but basically you take cab at dock to Red Hook and ferry to St John. That's the easiest, most flexible, and most reliable way to get there.

• Like 1

We did this in March - very easy but there is not a ferry directly from the cruise port.

Taxi to Red Hook Ferry (look up the times - It was once an hour on the hour when we went) - you can buy tickets on your phone.  Once in Cruz Bay St John, take a taxi to Trunk Bay.  Very easy.  Double check ferry times to come back.  Total cost round trip about $55 per person for taxis and ferries.   Trunk Bay has clean bathrooms, food and you can rent chairs (the folding chairs you'd use at a beach at home, not loungers), and rent snorkel equipment -- they prefer credit cards for those and I think a card is required for the rental deposit.

We arrive at Havensight at 7 AM and will be at the gangway ready to disembark once those doors open.  Hopefully we get in early and get an early start so we can have enough time to enjoy Trunk Bay.  Guessing 8:30 AM ferry from Red Hook.  Or we hope. Would love to make that 7:30 AM ferry but that would be a miracle.  LOL!

My ship leaves Havensight at 4 PM.  Hoping the 1 PM ferry back from St John to Red Hook will be efficient enough to make it back to the ship by 3 PM.  I am sure it is.  

No for the most part. They expect you to hold them in your lap. If you're not comfortable with that, you should ask the dispatcher for a taxi with a car seat. They may or may not have one available.

4 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

No for the most part. They expect you to hold them in your lap. If you're not comfortable with that, you should ask the dispatcher for a taxi with a car seat. They may or may not have one available.

Thank you.  Well, that would save me from lugging a car seat around I guess.  😳

Most people with small kids try to sit in the middle of taxi seating, because that's the safest spot. Most people are also driving much slower than in other places. Locals without a car use similar vehicles for public transportation with their kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Most people with small kids try to sit in the middle of taxi seating, because that's the safest spot. Most people are also driving much slower than in other places. Locals without a car use similar vehicles for public transportation with their kids.

That makes me feel a bit better.  We go to Roatan often none of the cars we had there had seat belts so use to that.  Always felt uneasy about it but we made it work -- still alive.    Thanks again.

On 5/24/2023 at 1:48 PM, mrl3800 said:

I saw that there was a new service taking guests from Havensight or Crown Bay to St John (Cruz Bay) by water taxi, which would be another option to get to STJ faster.

Any details on that?  I can't seem to find anything.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Red Hook Ferry runs at the top of every hour. 20min trip. Cab ride is longer from Crown Bay but I would call it 30 min?   Ferry back runs at the bottom of the hour.  

I believe there is also a ferry that runs 3 times a day from Havensight but with a cruise schedule the times would need to match up

many cruise line also offer an excursion call explore St John’s on your own. The only drawback is time in st John’s. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 4:40 PM, volk904 said:

Red Hook Ferry runs at the top of every hour. 20min trip. Cab ride is longer from Crown Bay but I would call it 30 min?   Ferry back runs at the bottom of the hour.  

I believe there is also a ferry that runs 3 times a day from Havensight but with a cruise schedule the times would need to match up

many cruise line also offer an excursion call explore St John’s on your own. The only drawback is time in st John’s. 

Yes.  We felt very bad for the cruise line excursion folks that arrived at Trunk Bay.  They only had around an hour there.  We had about 3 1/2 hours there when we went on our own.  Beach was almost empty when we arrived.  

• 2 weeks later...

There should be. But, I saw recently that National Park was looking for businesses to bid on that concession so the person who provided equipment may have decided not to renew. They had it for years.

You can rent equipment from the Beach Bum store which is upstairs just as you get off the people ferry.