Open Dining Question/Comments

MonikaJ42

Hi, we are booked September on the Koningsdam out of Vancouver.  When we booked, we didn't get a choice of dining time and got the opening dining option.  there are 5 of us in our party. I'm thinking that means a lot of wait time to get a table?  Is that a correct assumption?  Any comments/advice? 

Thank you so much in advance.

Happy Cruising everyone!!

If you know when you want to dine on any given day, you can reserve the time in advance, doesn't need to be the same time every day. There is a podium (usually outside the Pinnacle Grill or nearby) when you embark for this. I have also seen one near Canaletto. Others report there is one near the spa which also takes dining reservations.

14 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

If you know when you want to dine on any given day, you can reserve the time in advance, doesn't need to be the same time every day. There is a podium (usually outside the Pinnacle Grill or nearby) when you embark for this. I have also seen one near Canaletto. Others report there is one near the spa which also takes dining reservations.

Maybe differs between ships, but NS would only take reservations before 5:15 and after 8:00.

Don't assume set dining is not available without checking it out first.  On both of our last cruises we were assigned open dining.  I emailed our travel agent and she got that fixed for us within a day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MonikaJ42 said:

Hi, we are booked September on the Koningsdam out of Vancouver.  When we booked, we didn't get a choice of dining time and got the opening dining option.  there are 5 of us in our party. I'm thinking that means a lot of wait time to get a table?  Is that a correct assumption?  Any comments/advice? 

Thank you so much in advance.

Happy Cruising everyone!!

I would think that it will be a problem. Generally, on boarding, go see the dining room personnel that will have desk set up somewhere...sometimes outside the MDR, sometimes on the Lido pool area, sometimes outside Piannacle...they can usually make anything happen in the long run.

• Like 1

DH and I prefer the anytime dining. Whether its a late departure from port of call, extra time in the spa or bar, or even we're hungry-lets eat - things change and we like the flexibility.

That said, anytime dining does come with conditions: you never know who you will be eating with, if there is a wait,  etc. We've met so many wonderful people over the years during impromptu seatings that we now consider it part of the reason we cruise (not that you wouldn't get great regular assigned table mates).

A group of 5 might have a bit tougher time getting seated when just walking up to the dining room though, especially if you want the table to yourself. I'm not sure if HAL has beepers/pagers to hand out for those who would like to wait for their table at the bar?

On Rotterdam recently we were a party of 8 although most nights 1 or 2 had other plans. After 2 nights of trying to arrange an open dining reservation we decided to request a table in fixed dining main/late. That turned out to be great.

Getting tables for 5 or 6 can be hard, often grouped in with another couple and seated at an 8-top. That dynamic can be awkward for your 5 and for the 2, JMHO. 

Reservations were taken for 5, 5:15 and 5:30 (which they would let slip 15 mins before they gave the table away) up to 2 days out. So if you want to reserve, do it well ahead.

If you want to be spontaneous accept the likelihood of a wait because larger tables take longer for the diners to finish- expect 90 minutes…. so 6-top tables that began around 5:30 will become open for you around 7, some maybe earlier, but it depends then on how many groups are waiting before you.

Or go for fixed dining. Main seating sometimes called late seating was 7:30 on Rotterdam in the Caribbean March. That seating time varies by ship. It’s usually not full and easy to request the change after you board. Early fixed seating is harder to get. 

Hope you find an option that suits you. m—

Edited by RMLincoln

16 hours ago, dawnvip said:

you never know who you will be eating with, if there is a wait,  etc.

Are tables of two readily available?  We will be sailing HAL for the first time next summer and one of the reasons I like "your time" dining on other cruise lines is that it's much easier to get a 2-top that way.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tryingtocruise said:

Are tables of two readily available?  We will be sailing HAL for the first time next summer and one of the reasons I like "your time" dining on other cruise lines is that it's much easier to get a 2-top that way.  

Same question.  

4 hours ago, Tryingtocruise said:

Yes, we just sailed the 14 night Transatlantic on NS and had anytime dining.  No problem ever getting a table for 2.  We also requested we didn't get the ones that are 6 inches from the next table. Often they would sit us at a 4-top which eliminated that problem most of the time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tryingtocruise said:

I think they are more readily available, but still dependant on time of arrival at the MDR and how full the sailing. 

Interesting... one of the things we really enjoy about cruising is the opportunity to sit with two or three different couples each night in the MDR. It's good to chat with new people and get their insights into the cruise and activities, and if you get someone that you don't really like, it's only two or three hours at dinner, so not a big deal. Some nights we prefer just a two top, and if we do specialty dining, it's definitely a two top.

We actually thought that cruise lines had done away with shared dining tables due to covid, but if HAL still offers this we will be rather happy.

We will never do any time dining ever again . In December 2022 we sailed 12 days  on Koningsdam .We were fortunate because of being disabled to get seated eight away but the lines were   awful   for  others very very long waiting  .So on our Hawaii cruise next  Jan we booked Club Orange ,got the proper cabin upgrade & we can dine any time no long waits .Then on a future cruise ,all  on KDam  again we booked early fining table for 2 window seat  . 

For 5 people if affordable  for you club Orange is a definite solution but you need to book it early as it does gull up fast 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

We actually thought that cruise lines had done away with shared dining tables due to covid, but if HAL still offers this we will be rather happy.

Yes, HAL is offering shared tables again. As a solo cruiser I appreciate the option to dine with others (or occasionally not to dine with others), which is one reason I enjoy open seating.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We will never do any time dining ever again . In December 2022 we sailed 12 days  on Koningsdam .We were fortunate because of being disabled to get seated eight away but the lines were   awful   for  others very very long waiting  .So on our Hawaii cruise next  Jan we booked Club Orange ,got the proper cabin upgrade & we can dine any time no long waits .Then on a future cruise ,all  on KDam  again we booked early fining table for 2 window seat  . 

For 5 people if affordable  for you club Orange is a definite solution but you need to book it early as it does gull up fast 

How does Club Orange work with anytime dining.  I think I have it based on being in a suite.   

1 hour ago, alwaysfrantic said:

How does Club Orange work with anytime dining.  I think I have it based on being in a suite.   

If you have a neptune suite you will have club orange.  If it's on a pinnacle ship, you'll have a separate dining room.  Its open dining, no reservations.  If you are on a non-pinnacle ship you will have a separate podium to go to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

If you have a neptune suite you will have club orange.  If it's on a pinnacle ship, you'll have a separate dining room.  Its open dining, no reservations.  If you are on a non-pinnacle ship you will have a separate podium to go to.

It’s an older ship and right now we have fixed late.  I like the idea of going when it actually suits us but worried about long waits and getting a table for 2.  Maybe this will work 

27 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

It’s an older ship and right now we have fixed late.  I like the idea of going when it actually suits us but worried about long waits and getting a table for 2.  Maybe this will work 

I think you’ll still be with your fixed late.

Just off the Koningsdam 18 day Hawaii (RT from Vancouver) last month.  In the past we have mostly had fixed dining, but booked to late to get that this time.  We missed having the same waiter each night who learned our preferences for beverages, but we had a great experience.  We considered trying to make a reservation to get the same table each night, but didn't bother since we had planned to use speciality restaurants some nights.  In the MDR we had a 2-top a few nights and shared tables on the other night ranging from 4 to 8-tops.  We had wonderful dinner companions each time (even had the same couple twice - completely random).  There always seemed to be a line up when the MDR opened, but if you waited 30 minutes or so it eased up.  We were given pagers 2 or 3 nights but never had to wait long.  One night the pager went off before the glass of wine I ordered in the Ocean Bar arrived!

A party of 5 might take a bit longer to seat so I would look into reservations if you are concerned.

• Like 1

Your itinerary will also influnce dining line ups.  We were in some ports till later in the evening so not everyone was back on board for early dining and we were sometimes seated in the upper (Fixed) DR so it was helpful to arrive after the seating window for Fixed and have a chance at unclaimed tables.

On 5/9/2023 at 11:09 AM, Tryingtocruise said:

Are tables of two readily available? 

Just got off the Koningsdam last week.

I usually am there when the MDR doors open.  Yes, there's always tables for 2 for me.

The Club Orange has 3 tables for 2 against the window.  Again, I'm there when doors open, so has not been an issue for me, but people who arrive later are just given a larger table.

35 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

You think fixed late is the better option than moving to open?

That’s a bit of a tough one.  Late dining is way too late for me but if it works for you why not stick with it?  That said. I think open is more of an issue on the pinnacle ships although it does vary.  If you keep the late and it doesn’t work for you, I’m pretty sure you can move to open which would be easier than moving from open to fixed.  But I don’t think you can go back and forth, nor do I think a person should.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1