SJU to PHL 40 minute layover to SEA?

cruzinisgood

Are you on your way home (judging by your location)? In either case, how much does it matter if you miss the onward flight from PHL to SEA? Would you be happy to take a 24-hour delay to get the next day's non-stop? Or would it see you having to get a connecting itinerary between PHL and SEA?

It's not ideal. Possible, but not ideal. PHL is pretty spread out, and it can be a hike to get from one gate to another. So if you're mobile, and everything is on time, it's possible (and I have done it, albeit from the front of the plane). But one tiny hiccup, such as even a short delay or being seated towards the back of the SJU-PHL flight, can screw it all up. 

9 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

So, you are flying SJU-PHL-SEA on one ticket?  With 40 min connections time in PHL?  That’s very tight; guess it’s up to your risk tolerance.

Yes it's one ticket. Seating in Premium so at least not in back.

6 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Are you on your way home (judging by your location)? In either case, how much does it matter if you miss the onward flight from PHL to SEA? Would you be happy to take a 24-hour delay to get the next day's non-stop? Or would it see you having to get a connecting itinerary between PHL and SEA?

Yes on our way home. We have chance for Business/First class but was wondering what the feasibilities are. I guess I need to know what AA does if you something happens when you miss your flight

28 minutes ago, cruzinisgood said:

I guess I need to know what AA does if you something happens when you miss your flight

Same as any other airline - they will try to get you on the next available flight. That may or may not be the very next flight, depending on availability. The issue is that, as far as I know, PHL-SEA is 1x daily, so they may either try to re-route you on a two-stop itinerary (such as via ORD or DFW), or you may have to wait overnight. Whether AA will set you up with a hotel usually depends on the reason for the mis-connect (weather versus equipment/crew delay). 

I fly a lot using Philadelphia, Charlotte, Detroit and Newark as connections.  I wouldn’t do any of them these days with less than an hour.  They don’t care if you’re in first class or economy and will close the doors 15 minutes prior to take off.  So you really only have 25 minutes to get to your gate if everything runs as scheduled, and when is the last time that happened?

• Like 2

Just a quick question please. If you happen to have a short connection and that flight is missed (no fault of your own) are you given any option to have a much later flight the next day or do you have to accept the next available ? My short connection may be where I have family (DEN) and could easily stay with them. It would be great for a quick visit. Thanks.

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

Just a quick question please. If you happen to have a short connection and that flight is missed (no fault of your own) are you given any option to have a much later flight the next day or do you have to accept the next available ? My short connection may be where I have family (DEN) and could easily stay with them. It would be great for a quick visit. Thanks.

I've seen both. Granted, it may be because of my frequent flier status, but I have had the opportunity to spend a few extra hours in Chicago to visit family on a couple of occasions. Heck, one time I missed the last ORD-MCI flight of the night and instead of putting me up in a hotel, I just asked for them to pay for my taxi to/from my mom's house in the suburbs and a late flight the next day, and my mom got an unexpected visit from me late on a Friday night. 

It may very well depend on the agent involved.  Some may just want to process misconnects as quickly as possible, others may take your requests into consideration.

One other factor is that many misconnects are now automatically rebooked by the airline's computer system, without the involvement of an airport agent.  How they would want to deal with changing something that was automatically done is a question I can't answer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

One other factor is that many misconnects are now automatically rebooked by the airline's computer system, without the involvement of an airport agent.  How they would want to deal with changing something that was automatically done is a question I can't answer.

This.  And in an irrops situation, seats fill up quickly and agents are busy dealing with people who, for some reason, never bothered to provide the airline with an email address or phone number.  So, they waste their time standing in line to be “rebooked” and then loudly complain about the wait.  You usually have to stick with what you got.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzinisgood said:

We decided against it and taking a flight that has a 2 hour layover. No stress:)

Good choice.  Travel is already getting crazy busy and there have been so many flight delays lately.  This summer is going to be insane.

• Like 1