Starlink rolling out, please post ship, latency, and bandwidth you are seeing.

outtoseacruise

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing.  I'm especially interested in this as I plan to do a similar route next year on a non-Princess ship that has Starlink.  I would especially be interested in one that's midway between Honolulu and Fiji.  That's traditionally been a bit of a dead zone for Internet service.

i’ve been cruising for 20 years so to me. Yes, this is not land based but it’s totally fine for everything you would want to do. Including streaming sports, movies, FaceTime, etc..

• Thanks 3

• 4 months later...

Just got off the Discovery Princess. Same speed as everyone else. About 3-4M down and 1M up with about 120ms ping.

Did a bunch of video conference calls on Teams with screensharing and it wasn't an issue at all. Not sure if it was compression rate on Teams or the QoS on Princess's network prioritizes video calling but it worked well (not perfected, but doable).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mrrom92 said:

It’s a concern for me. 1mbps is not very useful for much at all. I was under the impression Starlink performed so much better than this?

It is but there's QoS, so speedtest is sometimes not the most accurate. At the end of the day, the internet connection get prioritized for operations.

18 hours ago, mrrom92 said:

It’s a concern for me. 1mbps is not very useful for much at all. I was under the impression Starlink performed so much better than this?

We've cruised on the same ship with & without Starlink and I honestly couldn't see the difference in the early mornings. 

Possibly during the busy parts of the day it might be more advantageous. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are boarding the Regal Princess in a few weeks for a transatlantic cruise. Wondering if anyone has been on the Regal Princess in the past month or so and if the Regal has Starlink now? Trying to plan if we will be able to be in touch with family the week we are crossing the ocean before we reach our first port. I appreciate anyones input!

On 2/26/2024 at 4:43 PM, mrrom92 said:

It all depends on how many people are online at the same time.  X amount of bandwidth divided by 5000 means things are a bit slower.  Also the ships all throttle the speeds.  If 1mbps is not enough for you on a TP cruise then can only suggest flying or remain home.

1 hour ago, PatchesTN101 said:

We are boarding the Regal Princess in a few weeks for a transatlantic cruise. Wondering if anyone has been on the Regal Princess in the past month or so and if the Regal has Starlink now? Trying to plan if we will be able to be in touch with family the week we are crossing the ocean before we reach our first port. I appreciate anyones input!

Depending on the time of day should be no problem.  Late afternoon ship's time it got a bit slower and video calls dropped often as both passengers and crew online. 

Starlink has limited capacity in the middle of the ocean.  Lots less demand except when a packed ship moves through and area 

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

It all depends on how many people are online at the same time.  X amount of bandwidth divided by 5000 means things are a bit slower.  Also the ships all throttle the speeds.  If 1mbps is not enough for you on a TP cruise then can only suggest flying or remain home.

I am not an IT professional, but Princess presumably employs one. There should be a way to aggregate satellite connections or some other solution to better serve their passengers. Trying to excuse 1mbps in 2024 is kinda crazy to me, that speed simply isn’t up to meet the demands of the modern internet. I have 1gbps fiber at home. Certainly there has to be some sort of middle ground.

1 hour ago, mrrom92 said:

Trying to excuse 1mbps in 2024 is kinda crazy to me, that speed simply isn’t up to meet the demands of the modern internet. I have 1gbps fiber at home. Certainly there has to be some sort of middle ground.

You aren't home, you are on a cruise ship in the middle of some ocean part of the time.  Starlink in not remotely close to fiber speeds even in the best conditions. I have fiber at home and do not expect equivalent at sea.  Not sure about princess and starlink yet, but have always had good enough internet in Princess to stream shows, attend teams and zoom meetings.  Can't say the same about Celebrity. 

• Like 1