No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

53 minutes ago, SouthamptonCruiseFan said:

No. They have to travel quite slowly down Southampton Water as it's a very busy and narrow shipping lane. They then have to go around the Isle of Wight to head west. Takes much longer than an hour, I understand from someone on board it was after 8.30pm before they could get a drink. Someone who'd paid for a 7.30pm Cagneys reservation couldn't enjoy a nice glass of red with it. That would upset me too on the first night of my holiday.

100% right.

We were actually in Cagney's for a 7pm reservation, it was a birthday celebration with no drinks, you were not even allowed the free Platinum bottle.

Service started restated somewhere between 9.30 & 10pm while we were back in the atrium.

Incidentally several people walked out cancelling their reservations.

Shame some people on here can't see how this is an issue and consider it a "eye roll" situation.

Tonight we are in Mondeo, hey ho another dry specialty meal unless we bring our own...... But then to some that's just an "eye roll".

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

100% right.

We were actually in Cagney's for a 7pm reservation, it was a birthday celebration with no drinks, you were not even allowed the free Platinum bottle.

Service started restated somewhere between 9.30 & 10pm while we were back in the atrium.

Incidentally several people walked out cancelling their reservations.

Shame some people on here can't see how this is an issue and consider it a "eye roll" situation.

Tonight we are in Mondeo, hey ho another dry specialty meal unless we bring our own...... But then to some that's just an "eye roll".

From everything I’ve read here and elsewhere it seems to be an issue only on NCL. You’re still going to have the NCL cheerleaders come out swinging on any negative post even when it’s clearly been determined it’s an NCL issue no other lines are experiencing this and rest assured I’d be at guest services having my bill adjusted. 
Sadly I’ve read elsewhere people so upset that they have had the DSC removed, that affects the crew who had no part in this

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, njkate said:

From everything I’ve read here and elsewhere it seems to be an issue only on NCL. You’re still going to have the NCL cheerleaders come out swinging on any negative post even when it’s clearly been determined it’s an NCL issue no other lines are experiencing this and rest assured I’d be at guest services having my bill adjusted. 
Sadly I’ve read elsewhere people so upset that they have had the DSC removed, that affects the crew who had no part in this

Some of the comments on the facebook groups are shocking - suggesting people that can’t go without alcohol should attend an AA meeting or friends of Bill W 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Very few people pay for the drinks package these days on any ship.

it'swrapped up in bundles with other stuff often not wanted or low value.

With NCL it's free at sea,

What is your point? Is it ok to lie and be deceptive when no money is at stake? Tell the people that upgrade to the plus package that they didn't pay for their drink package and see how that works out for you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

What a productive attitude, so much better than whinging about something that's out of your control. I mentioned this thread to my wife and she just rolled her eyes. I think her exact words were "if you can't go without alcohol for one day, you have bigger problems." 🤣

Thank you for sharing your wife's response. I find it laughable and very sad. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Everyone has to understand the limitations of "free unlimited open bar," including a scenario where the cruise line is unable, for whatever reason, to deliver it.

Don't you think everyone might be a wee bit more understanding if NCL refunded service charges and premium plus upgrade fees for the days they were unable to deliver the beverage package? Or is it your position that NCL is allowed to keep people's money in the scenario where they are unable to provide the service for whatever reason?

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, njkate said:

That is unfortunate, but people will do what they need to do to compensate themselves for a service they paid for and did not receive. Aside from a few on here who recommend tipping at hundreds of dollars per day, many of NCLs customers are middle income, hard working people. The execs are in Miami hiding under their desks counting the nickles and dimes, while their hard working crew are being financially harmed. Predictable result here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Don't you think everyone might be a wee bit more understanding if NCL refunded service charges and premium plus upgrade fees for the days they were unable to deliver the beverage package? Or is it your position that NCL is allowed to keep people's money in the scenario where they are unable to provide the service for whatever reason?

Yep a few of the cheerleaders are not getting it, it’s not about the drinks, it’s about paying for something you aren’t getting. No different then going to McDonalds and paying for a happy meal but they can’t supply the burger

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

just had it confirmed from someone on the Viking Neptune - currently doing a British isle cruise - they’ve had no issues at any of the UK ports - bars have been open while in port, no additional taxes, no mention of restrictions…

just some more non evidence I guess 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Has anyone gone to Customer Service and asked to have their charges adjusted as a result of this "alleged lying"?  Or, are you just looking to whine about something you won't accept?

Personally, I would like to hear how the Customer Service people respond.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Has anyone gone to Customer Service and asked to have their charges adjusted as a result of this "alleged lying"?  Or, are you just looking to whine about something you won't accept?

Personally, I would like to hear how the Customer Service people respond.

You can read it on this very thread:

"We are on vacation and like to have a drink.We have visited guest services to complain, their stance is, it’s the law, it’s nothing to do with duty and HMRC."

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

just had it confirmed from someone on the Viking Neptune - currently doing a British isle cruise - they’ve had no issues at any of the UK ports - bars have been open while in port, no additional taxes, no mention of restrictions…

just some more non evidence I guess 

Just have a second on my break to write this, then have to get back to work. Let's take your scenario, in which you claim that Viking's situation proves NCL is the bad guy here (since presumably Viking passengers are allowed to drink and NCL's aren't). But you are leaving out the possibility of other explanations. Imagine this: I, a UK passenger, and you, a US passenger, are going on a cruise. Both of us are supposed to upload photos and other information to the cruise line with 3 days of sailing. I do mine, and you do yours. Then, 2 days prior to sailing, the US government says you have to provide some additional piece of information to the cruise line (maybe a negative test result, an e-visa, etc.) but there's not enough time to get that information to the cruise line, so you have to do these things at the port (hypothetically). I could look at you in line at the port and think "gosh, this guy had all this time to get his paperwork in order and now he's doing it all last minute," even though I had no idea what your background was. Point: Viking could have received the information it needed and paid any potential port taxes months before NCL (who has officially said it was not given sufficient time to pay a government-mandated fee or else this wouldn't have happened). So the fact two different cruise lines have different outcomes is NOT a guarantee that one cruise line did things fine and the other didn't. There could be other factors at play that we don't know about. OK, back to work for me!

2 hours ago, SouthamptonCruiseFan said:

Er, because it doesn't exist! Even their port agent is contracting them.

This behavior from NCL will destroy their Brand, after this I would NEVER recommend NCL to anyone at all! 

I Purchased NCL because of the "Free at seas" but you are not free.... and I upgraded to Premium Plus! Man I feel so stupid!! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

You can read it on this very thread:

"We are on vacation and like to have a drink.We have visited guest services to complain, their stance is, it’s the law, it’s nothing to do with duty and HMRC."

Works for me.

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Just have a second on my break to write this, then have to get back to work. Let's take your scenario, in which you claim that Viking's situation proves NCL is the bad guy here (since presumably Viking passengers are allowed to drink and NCL's aren't). But you are leaving out the possibility of other explanations. Imagine this: I, a UK passenger, and you, a US passenger, are going on a cruise. Both of us are supposed to upload photos and other information to the cruise line with 3 days of sailing. I do mine, and you do yours. Then, 2 days prior to sailing, the US government says you have to provide some additional piece of information to the cruise line (maybe a negative test result, an e-visa, etc.) but there's not enough time to get that information to the cruise line, so you have to do these things at the port (hypothetically). I could look at you in line at the port and think "gosh, this guy had all this time to get his paperwork in order and now he's doing it all last minute," even though I had no idea what your background was. Point: Viking could have received the information it needed and paid any potential port taxes months before NCL (who has officially said it was not given sufficient time to pay a government-mandated fee or else this wouldn't have happened). So the fact two different cruise lines have different outcomes is NOT a guarantee that one cruise line did things fine and the other didn't. There could be other factors at play that we don't know about. OK, back to work for me!

Nonsense, what has changed in the last 2 weeks compared to the decades of NCL sailing in the UK?

what do Viking, P&O, Royal, Cunard, MSC, Hurtigruten, Celebrity etc know that NCL don’t? Why have all of these other lines got their ducks in a row but NCL didn’t? 

even if we take the lack of notice as a reasonable excuse for the first Dawn sailing 04/05 - what’s the excuse for the Star sailing 11/05 and the Dawn sailing 14/05? 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

You can always ask. I just know that all cruise lines have issues from time to time, and you don't always get a refund if something you paid for isn't available 100% of the time. I've paid extra for Wifi and sometimes it doesn't work, same with spa access where they closed it for part of the day. Really no different. But there's no harm in asking (but even here it wasn't even a full day, we're talking a few hours at most so if I were the cruise line, my answer would be "nope.")

3 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

what do Viking, P&O, Royal, Cunard, MSC, Hurtigruten, Celebrity etc know that NCL don’t? Why have all of these other lines got their ducks in a row but NCL didn’t? 

And you seem unwilling or unable to acknowledge the possibility that NCL didn't receive notification until it was too late, so apparently HM government always, without exception, unfailingly notifies every cruise line in plenty of time. Nonsense is right!

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You can always ask. I just know that all cruise lines have issues from time to time, and you don't always get a refund if something you paid for isn't available 100% of the time. I've paid extra for Wifi and sometimes it doesn't work, same with spa access where they closed it for part of the day. Really no different. But there's no harm in asking (but even here it wasn't even a full day, we're talking a few hours at most so if I were the cruise line, my answer would be "nope.")

I figured that would be your answer, but thank you for confirming. 

• Like 5

It seems to me that NCL had a couple of options...

a) have a letter distributed to every passenger, explaining exactly what Uk law has been introduced and when - quoting the exact wording, so it shuts up all the doubters, removes all those queues at Guest Services, ensures no one wants to remove gratuities, gives people on this thread nothing more to talk about... and so on. If I were an NCL Manager I'd be sorting that out pronto.

OR...

b) admit NCL have taken their eye off the ball (eg not paid a bill in time, not applied for a licence... or whatever.) Apologise. Make a nice gesture. Move on.

Unfortunately they have gone for...

c) Don't explain. Don't admit anything. Don't provide any evidence. Upset people. Allow things to fester and get worse. Ensure your hard-working, lower-level staff get a really hard time because of your own incompetence or cowardice.

Honestly... what sort of company, with any sense of pride or responsibility, would opt for C?!!!

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You're cheerleading the indefensible so much on here, I'm beginning to think you just like winding people up.  Either that, or you're the type that could be sold sand before a visit to the Sahara, and suck it up when you got there and saw the desert.

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

There's an old saying: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." I guess those who continue to fork over their hard-earned dollars/pounds to a company that disappoints them are, um, not getting it.

• Thanks 1