Hello From Nieuw Statendam! Voyage of the Midnight Sun

Sea42

2 hours ago, kazu said:

@singleflyer I completely agree with @cruising sister.  We both have sailed solo.

If I am on a Pinnacle Class ship, I will definitely do Club Orange.  And, in fact I am in October 😉. The environment is nicer than the MDR IMO and especially nice if you are a solo.  I shared a table with CC friends some nights and ate alone on others.  The staff took very good care of me.

First of all, thank you to Sea42 and cruising sister for your reports. I thought I was going to Alaska this summer, but while reading your threads, I somehow ended up booking Norway 😎 I hadn't considered Club Orange. Will they do like the MDR does and ask if I want to sit with someone? I'm usually okay dining alone. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite meals was a curry dog from the Dive-in, combined with a salad from the buffet, and eating it on the deck overlooking a fjord.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnowshoeCat said:

First of all, thank you to Sea42 and cruising sister for your reports. I thought I was going to Alaska this summer, but while reading your threads, I somehow ended up booking Norway 😎 I hadn't considered Club Orange. Will they do like the MDR does and ask if I want to sit with someone? I'm usually okay dining alone. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite meals was a curry dog from the Dive-in, combined with a salad from the buffet, and eating it on the deck overlooking a fjord.

Yes you can share if you like.  However, they will normally seat you alone the first time and feel you out - at least that was my experience.

I found the food better there as well as the service.  Their additional entree of the day was often very good.

11 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

Just for comparisson. We are/were on the same trip and had fixed dining early. All meals took no longer than 1hr and 15 minutes and average around 1 hour.

So no complaint about mdr.

I found the Lido was very busy at dinner time ( I went up there for a crepe dessert).  From reports the MDR was not very busy which surely helped the speed of the dining room.  The food worker who talked about this with me said there were a lot of long excursions and people did not want to change to eat.  Some nights it was hard to find a place to eat my crepe. So lucky for those in the MDR.

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I found the Lido was very busy at dinner time ( I went up there for a crepe dessert).  From reports the MDR was not very busy which surely helped the speed of the dining room.  The food worker who talked about this with me said there were a lot of long excursions and people did not want to change to eat.  Some nights it was hard to find a place to eat my crepe. So lucky for those in the MDR.

We ate in the mdr also on seadays. The service was the same as on port days.

10 minutes ago, jules815 said:

I just booked this suite for a transatlantic on Statendam for next April. That balcony looks HUGE! 

It was! There were a table with 4 chairs, 2 chairs with ottomans and 2 loungers. There is a window washing machine that is parked, beyond the railing on the side portion of ship. It really doesn't interfere with the view but something to be aware of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reviews!

What was the coffee in the Lido and  with room service?  Is there a bold coffee choice? Any flavored creamers? I’m sailing on the NS 7/2-8/2 and wondering if I should bring flavored creamers or bold coffee. 

22 minutes ago, pelishek said:

Thanks for the reviews!

What was the coffee in the Lido and  with room service?  Is there a bold coffee choice? Any flavored creamers? I’m sailing on the NS 7/2-8/2 and wondering if I should bring flavored creamers or bold coffee. 

Sorry I don't drink coffee.

20 minutes ago, pelishek said:

Also, would you be able to post copies or photos of the daily schedule sheets? This is my first cruise on HAL.

I didn't save them but there is someone onboard right now who is doing a Live From thread and maybe they could help you.