NCL Bliss 5/6-5/13 Review. Was it me or was it them?

23 hours ago, psuboater said:

I feel this. The first time we went to Alaska in 2008 it was my first time in the PNW. I was stunned! I still remember spotting my first bald eagle...

...now living on Whidbey Island, WA, we have a pair of bald eagles in our neighborhood that eye our corgi as a snack 😄.  I went to Alaska on a last minute with my family last year and I felt that it was just a magnfied place of where I already live. I think that might have contributed to your boredom. 

I live in the Gig Harbor area, and I feel the same way an Alaska cruise. I've been tempted to book an Alaskan cruise due to the proximity of the Seattle port, but I feel like the cruise would just show me a bigger version of my neighborhood. It's still a treat to see eagles, but we do see them and lots of other wildlife by our home frequently.

@WestCoastDeb I'm speaking as a Registered Dietitian and Diabetes Educator here.. I know this is after the fact, but being as specific as possible about "artificial sweeteners" would have been helpful. Other countries have various sweeteners that aren't used as much in the US, and vice versa, so the term "artificial sweeteners" isn't the same everywhere. I would have listed them out as "aspartame", "acesulfame K", "sucralose", "stevia", etc, so that way labels can be checked. They aren't used commonly in normal dishes or drinks unless it's listed as sugar free, keto, "no added sugar", "diabetes-friendly", etc.

Edited by sherrihall128
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 2:34 PM, psuboater said:

I feel this. The first time we went to Alaska in 2008 it was my first time in the PNW. I was stunned! I still remember spotting my first bald eagle...

...now living on Whidbey Island, WA, we have a pair of bald eagles in our neighborhood that eye our corgi as a snack 😄.  I went to Alaska on a last minute with my family last year and I felt that it was just a magnfied place of where I already live. I think that might have contributed to your boredom. 

Yes, even though I like history I can't get enthused over Colonial Williamsburg for the same reason.  Living in the Northeast it is hard to see what the big deal is about Colonial buildings since we are still living with that architecture routinely. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes, even though I like history I can't get enthused over Colonial Williamsburg for the same reason.  Living in the Northeast it is hard to see what the big deal is about Colonial buildings since we are still living with that architecture routinely. 

Yes, but Alaska has glaciers and whales and bears (oh my!).  It also has a historic railway to a high pass with fantastic scenery.  And lumberjacks (who were surprisingly fun).  Did I mention the glaciers?😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, but Alaska has glaciers and whales and bears (oh my!).  It also has a historic railway to a high pass with fantastic scenery.  And lumberjacks (who were surprisingly fun).  Did I mention the glaciers?😎

Yup, and all of that would be very different from where I live, so definitely huge points for that.  I am really wanting to book Alaska but want to make the cruise part of an extended land trip so I am waiting for the road through Denali to be fully open.  Looks like 2025 for that.  

• Like 1

Love hearing from a new cruiser.  Love the different perspective.  I hope you find another way to get to Alaska, just avoid the big boats. 😉

We just booked a last-minute Bliss to Alaska next month for my big 5-0.  Feel so awkward, as this time we are in an Interior cabin so we could save some moolah as we are also doing a HAL cruise in August.  Wish we could to the Haven again but can't do that every cruise, or two or ten.  🤑😏 

• Like 2

If I lived on either coast, or around FL ports, I think I’d probably hop on a cruise once a month.  Drive to the port, check in, go up the gangplank…..sailing.  Probably a good thing I live in OH.  Somehow sailing up and down the Ohio River just isn’t the same.  😁

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

And eagles and totems and salmon, oh my.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, sherrihall128 said:

I live in the Gig Harbor area, and I feel the same way an Alaska cruise. I've been tempted to book an Alaskan cruise due to the proximity of the Seattle port, but I feel like the cruise would just show me a bigger version of my neighborhood. It's still a treat to see eagles, but we do see them and lots of other wildlife by our home frequently.

I’m doing an Alaskan cruise in October and live on the west coast of Ireland. While some elements will likely remind me of Ireland I’m still expecting the wildlife and glaciers to be enough of an attraction to make it worth the long haul to get there. I’ve been to Oregon briefly in March about ten years ago and it was every bit as damp as home. Snow is a rarity in my patch of Ireland and we define don’t have any glaciers. While dolphins are regular visitors whales are not so common, nor are large birds of prey, there is currently an effort ongoing to reintroduce eagles to Ireland so I haven’t seen them in the wild either. 

I see a lot of American tourists at work and shared houses with American students on study abroad, they always commented how the locals here were so blasé about castles and other pre-colonial features dotted around our landscape. There was literally an old castle/watchtower in the field beside my primary (grade) school and another 4 within sight of our house, most in ruins, just one that’s been kept usable for tourist purposes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If I lived on either coast, or around FL ports, I think I’d probably hop on a cruise once a month.  Drive to the port, check in, go up the gangplank…..sailing.  Probably a good thing I live in OH.  Somehow sailing up and down the Ohio River just isn’t the same.  😁

Ha!  I remember going on a dinner cruise on the Ohio with friends many years ago.  It had some kind of fun Polynesian theme.  My husband did well in the hula hoop contest.

8 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

My husband did well in the hula hoop contest.

🤣While it has been proven that with enough booze, @ChiefMateJRKwill embarrass himself at Karaoke, there simply isn't enough booze on the ship to get me into a hula hoop contest.  And, that's a good thing for EVERYBODY.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I see a lot of American tourists at work and shared houses with American students on study abroad, they always commented how the locals here were so blasé about castles and other pre-colonial features dotted around our landscape. There was literally an old castle/watchtower in the field beside my primary (grade) school and another 4 within sight of our house, most in ruins, just one that’s been kept usable for tourist purposes. 

Yes!  I remember remarking to our interpreter in Eastern Europe that we have no (genuine) castles in America and he had to think about that for a moment.  I reminded him that America was founded well after the age where castles were in use and he said he had just never thought about it and had been surprised that we were so fascinated by them. 

Both my parents were born in Ireland and I'm planning a trip there now and trying desperately to restrain myself from dragging my poor husband to every obscure ruin with a family connection, lol.

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

🤣While it has been proven that with enough booze, @ChiefMateJRKwill embarrass himself at Karaoke, there simply isn't enough booze on the ship to get me into a hula hoop contest.  And, that's a good thing for EVERYBODY.

No argument, lol, but you may be amazed to hear that my husband hardly drinks.  In 45 years of marriage I have only seen him drunk once (and it was not the hula hoop contest).  I, on the other hand am fond of cocktails but never do anything that I wouldn't have done sober.  I disappointed many a date in my youth, lol.  I never sing in public as I realize it would annoy others.  Even some of my babies were a bit critical of my skills in that area.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

My husband did well in the hula hoop contest.

Not saying anything about your husband, but in your opinion is it possible to win such a content if you simply fill the hula hoop?  Asking for a friend...

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Not saying anything about your husband, but in your opinion is it possible to win such a content if you simply fill the hula hoop?  Asking for a friend...

Oh wow, I laughed out loud.  He's still annoying slim and fit actually.  Daily walks, salads and all of that disagreeable nonsense apparently does work(!)  I have pointed out that all my friends husbands have had the consideration to join them in putting on a bit of weight at middle age;)

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I never sing in public as I realize it would annoy others.  Even some of my babies were a bit critical of my skills in that area.

I think you're missing the whole point of Karaoke.  It's to get untalented, social introverts (ref: @ChiefMateJRK) up in front of a small group of fun people to embarrass themselves for the collective groups' entertainment.  Unfortunately, cruise Karaoke events have become something totally different.  It now seems to be attention-seeking people (some who do actually have talent) aching to find an audience to feed their self-esteem.  I'm on a cruise to have fun, not provide group support (not that there's anything wrong with that).  My Sky cruise in January was devoid of talented lounge acts, so I wound up in the OL a few times and heard a lot of Karaoke.  Would I have given it a shot?  Maybe.  It didn't matter as we had about three individuals every night stumbling over each other to be the next up on stage.  I think one out of three could actually sing well.  But, again, that's really not the point.

I see what you mean but have to admit that these days the more entertaining Karaoke probably takes place past my bedtime.  Do they still sing Sweet Caroline (bum bum bum) late and loud?  I truly enjoy listening to people who can sing.  I very much admire the skill and would love to be able to do it outside of the occasional shower with nobody home.  (I once emerged to find my 3 brothers had arrived and were having quite the laugh in the hall outside the bath.)   I also like to sing in the car when alone but I'm getting creeped out that Siri or Alexa or whatever her name is these days might be recording!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I see what you mean but have to admit that these days the more entertaining Karaoke probably takes place past my bedtime.  Do they still sing Sweet Caroline (bum bum bum) late and loud?  I truly enjoy listening to people who can sing.  I very much admire the skill and would love to be able to do it outside of the occasional shower with nobody home.  (I once emerged to find my 3 brothers had arrived and were having quite the laugh in the hall outside the bath.)   I also like to sing in the car when alone but I'm getting creeped out that Siri or Alexa or whatever her name is these days might be recording!!!

I'll try to walk you through this.....

a) Sweet Caroline wears thin for many/most of us after a very short period of time.  I would tip the player to NOT play it (okay, I can't really back that up with cash).

b) Sing away to your heart's content in the shower, car, whatever.  You don't owe anybody anything.  Feel "guilty?"  Hand out ear plugs.  It is STILL a free country.😎  @ChiefMateJRK"may have" developed a relationship with a nighttime buffet bartender on the Joy last fall.  He ordered a Long Island Ice Tea for DW.  The bartender and his partner joked about "how long do you want it?"  🤣Then there was muttering about "a long, long time ago...."  Yeah, within minutes we were doing a crappy job on the Don Mclean classic to the amusement of most, and the annoyance of the no bubble crowd.

Most of this stuff (like bubbles, etc.) is only a problem for folks who skip the drink package. 🤣

• Haha 2

Okay, back to the OP though.  I agree the cruising is probably not going to be her thing.  I think cruising is more suited to people who like to stay up late and party a bit (even though that is definitely not me).  I think people who enjoy that aspect do get more out of a cruise.  If you are not that person (and I am not) then I think an enjoyment of reading books takes up any slack.  I am all about the ports but It takes very little to amuse me on a sea day because I love to read and kind people bring me lovely glasses of prosecco while I am doing so.

I am also not a beach person.  The pictures of idyllic beaches are lovely but when I actually get to one I find the sand, wind, sticky wetness, etc., annoying.  I frequently complain to my beach loving husband that I am clearly a genetic forest dweller.  Obviously I'm not much for the Caribbean cruises or the Med in summer.  So . . . my point in this to the OP is that she might better enjoy a cruise if it was tailored to things she likes and a more novel environment.  But, of course, it is always better not to pay to do things you don't enjoy.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I am also not a beach person.  The pictures of idyllic beaches are lovely but when I actually get to one I find the sand, wind, sticky wetness, etc., annoying.  I frequently complain to my beach loving husband that I am clearly a genetic forest dweller.

You and me both sister.  My ancestors lived North of the arctic circle.  I have no pigment.  A bit of sun and I burst into flames.  That said, I will slap on the SPF 50 and don an SPF 50 long sleeve sun shirt and venture out onto the beach at GSC every year or two.  As long as the beverage package and free food still applies, I'm good with that. 😎

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Do they still sing Sweet Caroline (bum bum bum) late and loud?

lol, this was requested at Howl at the Moon both nights that I went on my Escape cruise.  The second night one of the performers expressed he true feelings about the song, but performed it anyway.  That performer was a CHARACTER!  

9 minutes ago, hallux said:

lol, this was requested at Howl at the Moon both nights that I went on my Escape cruise.  The second night one of the performers expressed he true feelings about the song, but performed it anyway.  That performer was a CHARACTER!  

One of the YouTube bloggers did make a comment that the crew hates it.  Have to say that it never fails to remind me of cruising which is always a good thing.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You and me both sister.  My ancestors lived North of the arctic circle.  I have no pigment.  A bit of sun and I burst into flames.  That said, I will slap on the SPF 50 and don an SPF 50 long sleeve sun shirt and venture out onto the beach at GSC every year or two.  As long as the beverage package and free food still applies, I'm good with that. 😎

Yup I glow in the dark and, to add to the problem, am allergic to common ingredients in sunscreen.  I'm also allergic to some of the hand sanitizers so I've had an interesting time of it ducking the crew with the spray bottles for the past couple of years while enduring disapproving looks.