Cell Service - Alaska

BunnyHutt

Can anyone advise the quality of cell service they had while in Alaskan ports? Trying to figure out if I want/need to upgrade to unlimited (non-streaming) package. 

And before anyone says anything about not keeping my head stuck in my phone/computer while cruising, I’m vacationing with a friend and leaving my husband and teens back home. Awesome for me but I’d still like to be able to keep in touch fairly regularly. 😉

you might not get cell service while cruising the inside passage ( or any sea day).  You are surrounded by  tall mountains on both sides, cell service probably will not ping far enough down into the channel ( that would be my guess).  But you will have no issues on dry land.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Similar to others - we had reception in every port with our Verizon phones (Anchorage/Seward, Icy Strait, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan. Even on the ship we had good reception while in port. Bear in mind that reception will be much better near windows/balconies than when you're deep inside.

We had spotty reception while en route between ports.

(I mostly know this from my kids, who can't stand having their phones turned off!) 😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

Can anyone advise the quality of cell service they had while in Alaskan ports? Trying to figure out if I want/need to upgrade to unlimited (non-streaming) package. 

And before anyone says anything about not keeping my head stuck in my phone/computer while cruising, I’m vacationing with a friend and leaving my husband and teens back home. Awesome for me but I’d still like to be able to keep in touch fairly regularly. 😉

We have AT&T and there was no cell service in Icy Strait Point. 

And there will be periods of blockage where you won’t get Wi-Fi in the Alaskan fjords. 

Make sure you have roaming off and airport mode on when not at a port. My neighbor in the next cabin on our Hawaii-Alaska cruise got hit with a $100 charge from AT&T. The internet desk personnel said he heard passengers getting hit with $500 charges.

Wi-Fi through the ship is iffy. People used the local library at ports.

Edited by TrinityFL

My in-laws are currently sailing Alaska with ATT. They discovered they had cell service just before Hubbard Glacier, likely since they were close to Yakutat, and then they had very limited cell service just as they were entering Glacier Bay. All ports have plenty of cell service; we know that from having done many AK cruises before.