Passport Renewal

BND

2 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

Perhaps it is time to seriously ask the questions:  Who in Hell is running this operation, and why (in this modern age of automation) are things that used to be done in a couple of weeks taking up to half a year?  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps it is time to seriously ask the questions:  Who in Hell is running this operation, and why (in this modern age of automation) are things that used to be done in a couple of weeks taking up to half a year?  

Could be a lot of people applying

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

During the pandemic, there were reduced requests for passports, and many contractors who handled the passport processing were let go. This was an ideal time to get your passport renewed at regular speed. Now, we have people who are engaged in post-pandemic "revenge travel" and, oh yeah, they need a passport, but the personnel aren't there. Remember, a passport is form of government-issued identification, plus there are checks so that criminals and those who owe child support can't get one. 

• Like 1

Ok so I just got this message on the site

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/20/2023. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

I think it used to just say it is "in process".   Am I right with that?

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

This will probably get me booted from CC but it seems like if there are $$ resources to hire 86K armed IRS agents, "they" should be able to hire sufficient staff to work through the passport backlog or at least restart the online renewal system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course there are-- but ANY competent organization will adjust procedures to respond to demand.

Federal government funding, allocation and budgeting are very different processes than in the private sector.  Reacting to unanticipated funding demands is politically charged.  Even reacting to annual budget requests gets bogged down (especially for any department or agency not named Defense or Homeland Security) in Congress when budgets may not be finalized until months after the beginning of the fiscal year (October 1).  In those cases the previous budget remains even if there are perfectly valid reasons to adjust it.  

Complain to your members of Congress and ask specifically what they are doing to resolve the issue.  I have no doubt that the State Department will welcome your support.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

Complain to your members of Congress and ask specifically what they are doing to resolve the issue. …

Has it occurred to you that members of Congress might be just a little bit likely to receive expedited handling - at no extra cost.

Because it is now necessary to allow roughly six months, it is also necessary to pick a time when you know for sure that you will not need it for said six months, you may have to pick the right time - which might be several years before your expiration date.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Has it occurred to you that members of Congress might be just a little bit likely to receive expedited handling - at no extra cost.

I saw on one of those tv tabloids that there's a dedicated passport office in the Capitol building for members and staff only. Never know when a junior staff member gets sent to eastern Ukraine I guess.

Edited by Philob

1 hour ago, Philob said:

I saw on one of those tv tabloids that there's a dedicated passport office in the Capitol building for members and staff only. Never know when a junior staff member gets sent to eastern Ukraine I guess.

The State Department has an Office of Congressional Travel that handles official overseas travel for members of Congress and staff.  In addition they handle travel arrangements and coordinate with the Office of Protocol and other government departments and agencies who may be traveling under the aegis of the State Department with Congressional delegations.

Years ago I was at a party with the chief of staff for a powerful senator during a period when Congress didn’t raise the debt ceiling and almost all agencies including the State Department faced a furlough of all but essential staff.  One very well known Senator who supported not raising the debt ceiling insisted that the Passport Office issue renewals of tourist passports for his family who had a planned European vacation.   No luck.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Because it is now necessary to allow roughly six months, it is also necessary to pick a time when you know for sure that you will not need it for said six months, you may have to pick the right time - which might be several years before your expiration date.

They definitely get expedited handling for official passports.  I don’t know about how tourist passports are being handled currently.

I have urged anyone with delayed passport processing to contact their members of Congress‘s Office of Constituent Services for assistance.  I suggest asking them also what the Member is doing to help resolve the problem.  Don’t let them off the hook since they hold the pursestrings of the federal government.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CunucuMom said:

at least restart the online renewal system.

From what I've gathered about the online system (it was a trial run anyway) it was basically just an online portal to submit the application. One they "got it", the application still has to be reviewed and processed by an organic.

Another problem was that once they "got it" it couldn't tell you the status even if you called to ask since it wasn't integrated into the old system.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Philob said:

From what I've gathered about the online system (it was a trial run anyway) it was basically just an online portal to submit the application. One they "got it", the application still has to be reviewed and processed by an organic.

Another problem was that once they "got it" it couldn't tell you the status even if you called to ask since it wasn't integrated into the old system.

Excellent point; the online system facilitates the "get there" process but not necessarily the review process.  I'm guessing the folks who sent in renewals when the online system was operable received their passports quickly because it was prior to the summer crunch, not because they applied online.

• Like 1

Mailed both our passports separately on June 12th using expedited service. Passports were both received on June 16th. I received my new passport today!!! My husband's passport is still in process. Our passports were mailed  from Florida. 

Edited by sweetgirl26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2023 at 12:58 PM, sweetgirl26 said:

Mailed both our passports separately on June 12th using expedited service. Passports were both received on June 16th. I received my new passport today!!! My husband's passport is still in process. Our passports were mailed  from Florida. 

During your renewal,  did they update the online status as your passport went thru the process?

33 minutes ago, Calif-Couple said:

During your renewal,  did they update the online status as your passport went thru the process?

No they did not. I just went to the passport website and saw that it was approved with an estimated delivery date. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 12:58 PM, sweetgirl26 said:

There seems to be something about Florida. I seem to recall others that went through there got them much faster than the rest of the country.

23 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

There seems to be something about Florida. I seem to recall others that went through there got them much faster than the rest of the country.

Passport routine renewal applications are sent to one of two addresses (Irving, TX or Philadelphia, PA) depending upon state of residence.  Residents of California, Florida, Minnesota, Illinois, New York and Texas send applications to Irving, TX. All expedited renewal applications are sent to Philadelphia.  From those two locations applications are distributed to passport agencies or passport centers around the country based on workload. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, capriccio said:

Passport routine renewal applications are sent to one of two addresses (Irving, TX or Philadelphia, PA) depending upon state of residence.  Residents of California, Florida, Minnesota, Illinois, New York and Texas send applications to Irving, TX. All expedited renewal applications are sent to Philadelphia.  From those two locations applications are distributed to passport agencies or passport centers around the country based on workload. 

Right.....So Irving. Texas may be the key to the quickness.

I am in Arizona , sent into Philidelphia, as per instructions, and it was shunted to Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Don't know if it actually made a difference, but I appealed to my US Representative and received my passport in two days less than 5 weeks, two days before my departure. The overnight shipping said Portsmouth, New Hampshire,

• 2 weeks later...

It appears mine will be coming tomorrow.  We get informed delivery from the post office and it says "arriving soon.  Passport Services/DOS Tucson" with expected delivery date of tomorrow 20 July.  If so, that would be 8 weeks and 6 days since they received it and 9 weeks 2 days since I mailed it certified mail.  Not expedited nor did I pay extra for faster mailing/overnight. 

On 7/7/2023 at 7:13 PM, Philob said:

Those are for official US Gov passports. They are not the blue book.  They are red and say "Official Passport" on the cover.  I know a few people who had them and they were for official Gov travel, not personal use.  I also know some people who wouldn't use them as they do draw attention and there are plenty of governments monitoring for "visitors" like that.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Of course there are-- but ANY competent organization will adjust procedures to respond to demand.

You obviously never worked for the Fed Gov and saw all the regulations that surround awarding contracts.  The process takes months and sometimes a year or more depending on what is being contracted for.  First, they have to write and issue a request for bid that includes the scope of work (how many bodies, how many hours, what results are required), then there is a group from the organization requesting the bids who have to work through the bids and award based on several criteria, all of which are laid out in the initial request. They all have to be Gov employees.  During this the money side is working on the budget for said contract based on current and future need.  You can't simply move money around from pot to pot. That's illegal without working through a process.  Then of course there is the chance that a losing bidder may challenge the award so that adds time to work through and make sure the loser doesn't have a valid claim.  Yes, I worked in contracts the last 5 years of my career as a Fed Employee.  There is so much oversight and the book that governs contracts is huge.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

The fact that getting a major project going can involve many complicated steps is not usually accepted as justification for doing nothing.

The Port Authority postponed getting the JFK Air-Train going for years —- but they, of course, had an ulterior motive: protecting their “black gold” source of wealth - the parking lots whose revenue stream would be threatened by the installation of a good mass transit access to JFK.