What is the advantage to purchasing Cruise Next certificates

Beer Belly

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Unfortunately, in our case that nonrefundable OBC is nearly worthless to us. We have $175 (my memory sometimes is wrong), and we rarely spend more than $50 or so on the ship.

Yep.  Free money is often worth about what you pay for it.

Do you take shore excursions?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks. That's for any nonrefundable OBC ....has nothing to do with a CN/CF just to be clear.

Like others have said here, we often find it difficult to spend our nonrefundable OBC since we buy very little on board. I had counted on using the $175 nonrefundable OBC we have on our next NCL cruise's gratuities charge, but now I discover I cannot do that. I won't leave that nonrefundable in my account when I settle my bill; we will force  ourselves to spend it somehow on the ship! My wife will like that idea; me, not so much.😉

Another idea I just had.....since I cannot use the nonrefundable OBC to pay the "required" gratuities, can I use it to pay additional gratuities to certain individuals? For instance, we usually give cash to our favorite staff such as the steward, waiter, etc. I'd rather do that with the nonrefundable OBC if possible....better than blowing it on overpriced items in the ship's stores. That would save me money since the cash to the favorite staff comes out of my pocket during the cruise.

Doug

If you buy anything outside the included items in the package (a drink over $15 for example) you'll get a receipt you can add a gratuity that way. You can try one of the behind the scenes tours, or any other excursions also.

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  Free money is often worth about what you pay for it.

Do you take shore excursions?

Good suggestion, Chief. We stopped taking nearly all shore excursions in the Caribbean about 15 years ago. That's where we sail 80% of the time; been there, done that. However, we will take an excursion or buy something onboard just to burn up that nonrefundable credit! We ain't leaving any money on the table!😎

We have our favorite places to visit, especially in Cozumel. But those are not ship excursions. We take a cab into town to visit our favorite bar/restaurant.

56 minutes ago, carohs said:

If you buy anything outside the included items in the package (a drink over $15 for example) you'll get a receipt you can add a gratuity that way. You can try one of the behind the scenes tours, or any other excursions also.

Good idea, never thought of that. That would work fine for our favorite bartender/server. Any idea how I could specify to whom that tip would go? And how could I do it for our room steward, tipping that happens nearly 100% of the time. Usually in the past he/she'd be give a token amount, around $20 in cash; although we had one steward that got a lot more!😎

Doug

1 minute ago, PaperSniper4 said:

However, we will take an excursion or buy something onboard just to burn up that nonrefundable credit! We ain't leaving any money on the table!😎

DD had some non-refundable OBC on a recent cruise and used it to purchase some quality Ray-Ban sunglasses.  I don't believe that those are allowed to be sold at a discount anywhere, so you pay the same on the ship as you do at any store.  Plus, some Latitudes levels receive a percentage off at on board shops, so you can actually wind up buying them cheaper than you could get them anywhere else.  That proved to be a great way to spend OBC.  Your photo makes it look like you appreciate a nice pair of shades. 😎

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Plus, some Latitudes levels receive a percentage off at on board shops, so you can actually wind up buying them cheaper than you could get them anywhere else.

The Latitudes discount in the shops is only on NCL merchandise (but not NCL clearance items).

But, wouldn't it be great if if were on all items?!

14 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

The Latitudes discount in the shops is only on NCL merchandise (but not NCL clearance items).

But, wouldn't it be great if if were on all items?!

🤣 Yeah, I'm not much of a shopper and likely just proved it!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately, in our case that nonrefundable OBC is nearly worthless to us. We have $175 (my memory sometimes is wrong), and we rarely spend more than $50 or so on the ship. Oh, we can force ourselves to spend it all, but that means buying things, usually at a high price, that we don't really need....or might not be able to fit into our suitcases!😉

Doug

We usually book a couple of NCL shore excursions once we are on board.  We just explore on our own or make prior arrangements for independent tours for other ports.  NCL excursions are a bit more expensive than independently organized ones, but they have the advantage of the ship waiting for you if the bus is late returning to the pier.  It usually only requires a couple of NCL excursions for the two of us to use up any and all OBC that we might have.

We had so many issues with a cruise that was booked in 2020 just before COVID with about 9-10 (not kidding) cancellations and changes.  We finally cruised in 2022 for that cruise.  NCL kept changing their policy on refunds (we were told if THEY cancel you twice you can get a full refund but that didn't happen).  Given all of the aggravation we went through we are not letting them hold any of our money upfront.  I'd rather pay the fare when I book than use their certificates because they could change the rules at any time without regard for the customers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering booking a 11 day cruise in 2025. I've never cruised NCL before. I want to purchase a 250/500 Cruise First certificate prior to booking and apply it when I book the cruise. That part sounds pretty simple.

Since I have never cruised NCL before I do not have any Cruise Next certificates, but I see I can buy one online that is worth 250. I plan to book an inside so would I be able to apply a single Cruise Next  certificate before my sail date for this cruise?

I apologize, I have read the comments and still am confused. Thank you!

Just now, Stowaway LFC said:

I am considering booking a 11 day cruise in 2025. I've never cruised NCL before. I want to purchase a 250/500 Cruise First certificate prior to booking and apply it when I book the cruise. That part sounds pretty simple.

Since I have never cruised NCL before I do not have any Cruise Next certificates, but I see I can buy one online that is worth 250. I plan to book an inside so would I be able to apply a single Cruise Next  certificate before my sail date for this cruise?

are you asking about a cruise first or cruise next?  I ask because you mention both in your post, and they have different rules.  Plenty of folks have been able to add a cruise next cert up to final payment.  The cruise first terms say it's only for new bookings at the time of the booking.  I haven't seen any reports here of successfully being able to add a cruise first after booking

28 minutes ago, Stowaway LFC said:

You can't add cruise next if you already have cruise first applied, if that's what you're asking. these aren't combinable.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

are you asking about a cruise first or cruise next?  I ask because you mention both in your post, and they have different rules.  Plenty of folks have been able to add a cruise next cert up to final payment.  The cruise first terms say it's only for new bookings at the time of the booking.  I haven't seen any reports here of successfully being able to add a cruise first after booking

No,  I planned to apply the cruise first when I initially book the cruise.  The question was if I could apply a cruise next certificate later down the line before I actually pay the cruise off.

Just now, Stowaway LFC said:

No,  I planned to apply the cruise first when I initially book the cruise.  The question was if I could apply a cruise next certificate later down the line before I actually pay the cruise off.

ahhh. No, Both can't be applied to the same reservation

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2023 at 8:41 AM, cruiseny4life said:

$175 would be almost enough for your wife to purchase a treatment in the spa. 

Or, donate the OBC to me...there should be a way to do this (I wish). 🙂 I'd happily spend it for you. 

Would definitely pay for a manicure or a pedicure, no?