Explorer diverting to Trieste disembark

48 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Crystal went out of business, rather suddenly. I guess their ships are docked somewhere. Interesting! Thanks. 

The Crystal Cruise ships docked in Trieste were seized after they went bankrupt.  Don’t think they’ll be moving from that Pier anytime soon!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

Thanks Pstone1 for your very comprehensive post. Well done to RCI for their endeavours and organisation. I’m hoping this is a one off and things will resume as normal on Sunday. Thanks again

I hope so too Scott!  Best wishes for a wonderful cruise!  You will be in good hands!

3 hours ago, pstone1 said:

The crew did an amazing job with a very difficult situation.  Overnight, they arranged bus transfers to get cruisers to the Bologna & Venice Airports, and the Trieste Train Station from the Trieste Commercial Dock.  Everyone with Royal paid transfers were automatically scheduled with departure times for busses taking them to their destinations.  Everyone else went to the Train Station on shuttle busses.  

Crew were available in a Conference Room for hours to answer questions and help with changes.  Multiple announcements were made, a departure schedule with Luggage Tag Departure times was delivered to everyone’s cabin, and there was information on the TV.  Guest Services was fully staffed and they were busy!

The Windjammer opened around 3am for breakfast and the MDR also opened early.  We found everything incredibly smooth.  We were on Deck 9, Midship, and had to depart from the forward gangway.  There was no problem wheeling our bags down the hall and no wait to get an elevator.  Downstairs, there was a bus waiting for the short (15 minute) ride to the Train Station.  

As Trieste was a Commercial Dock, there were no luggage services, so you did have to get your bags to Deck 1 where Security scanned you off the ship.  We were surprised to see Crew waiting right there to take bags and load them on a bus sitting right at the bottom of the ramp.   

The entire process was incredibly smooth for what must have been a logistical nightmare.  The EX crew went above and beyond to make an unsettling situation as easy as possible.  Many worked through the night and still had to welcome the next guests with smiles later in the day!  We are grateful to all of them!

I know some cruisers were annoyed due to a longer bus ride or a plan change at the eleventh hour, but in our opinion, Royal did everything they could to make the process as easy as possible.  The terminal in Ravenna was unavailable due to the terrible flooding.  People in Ravenna lost lives, homes, and property,  Our thoughts are with them.

So good to hear that things went as smooth as they could with Royal working tirelessly to make the best of the situation as they react to a natural disaster.  

Okay, so you did mention you observed "annoyed" passengers, but no brawls, fist fights or demands for free cruises for life!  Smart that the airline change fee was offered on a "reimbursement" basis; I bet most will make their original flights.

So now let's hear from someone that just boarded.  How smooth was the embarkation process?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

Sorry Pstone1 just clicked my brain into gear and now realise you’ve just come off the ship. Best wishes 

Thanks!  We got on in Miami for the TA, and stayed for the next two!  

Enjoy!

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

The itinerary update for Explorer is gone from the RCL website and trains are running from Ravenna station beginning this evening, (23 May)  Best guess is it will be Ravenna.

Trains running south to Rimini only- not the line between Ferrara and Ravenna... which is the one people coming from Venice need!

Had a look and it suggests that they’re running coaches for this journey presently. However, you can book a train ticket Venice to Ravenna for Saturday 27th which suggests they’re reopening this line before then. Not sure if the logic is accurate and will see if I can find out something more precise. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

I wonder if that would stop RCI from transferring back to Ravenna 

I doubt it.  As long as Ravenna is not cut off from all modes of transportation it's the passenger's responsibility to get to and from the terminal, unless they purchased transits through Royal.  Then Royal will get them there.

39 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

Had a look and it suggests that they’re running coaches for this journey presently. However, you can book a train ticket Venice to Ravenna for Saturday 27th which suggests they’re reopening this line before then. Not sure if the logic is accurate and will see if I can find out something more precise. 

They’re on strike on the 26th! 

36 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

According to Italian news services and friends living in Ravenna the train station is scheduled to open later today. 

6 minutes ago, little britain said:

They’re on strike on the 26th! 

Maybe on strike,  The news services are reporting that the strike may be called off so as to not make things worse for people in the flooded area,  the airline workers strike that was scheduled for the 19th was called off for the same reason.

Edited by crazyank

4 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Maybe on strike,  The news services are reporting that the strike may be called off so as to not make things worse for people in the flooded area,  the airline workers strike that was scheduled for the 19th was called off for the same reason.

I saw the 19th was postponed until the 6th; but I haven’t seen anything yet about the 26th. That’s the day we fly in.

Just heard back from the concierge on board and he has not been briefed as yet on where we will be boarding but will let me know as soon as he finds out. I’m getting a wee bit worried now albeit I guess it’s understandable given the circumstances

• Thanks 1

We are also joining Explorer of the Seas on 28th May ! Flying into Bologna on 27th from Heathrow and stopping overnight in Bologna. We have a van booked for 6 of us from Bologna to Ravenna for the Sunday. We have been watching and reading the terrible news of floods in Ravenna and now the after effects of the cruises being diverted. It now appears the Heathrow Security staff are striking this Sat too so who knows what disruption that will bring.... I'll wait to hear news of where we need to be on Sunday folks ! Good luck everyone.

Edited by seagbrook

My family and I are flying out of Heathrow on Friday when the strike starts. I’ve been told by a friend in border force that the disruption is more significant coming back in to the UK apparently. I hope that proves to be true and we get through security on Friday morning painlessly. If I get a chance I’ll post here how we get on Seagbrook

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

My family and I are flying out of Heathrow on Friday when the strike starts. I’ve been told by a friend in border force that the disruption is more significant coming back in to the UK apparently. I hope that proves to be true and we get through security on Friday morning painlessly. If I get a chance I’ll post here how we get on Seagbrook

We are flying out of LGW. We will compare notes! 

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, ocean sounds said:

@scottraveller,  just a heads up there is a strike by multiple unions and a few flight crews, to take place at Italian airports on June 4.  It was to have taken place on Friday 19 May, but was pushed to 4 June due to the flooding. 

We’ve been following the strike news, as we are flying from US on 3 June, to arrive in Italy on June 4.  

Good luck with all your travel planning.  

@2catsand2kids, saw you are also flying June 4. 

What sorts of impact can we expect from the strike? We are due to arrive in Italy on June 4 (layover in Frankfurt, arrival in Venice).