Explorer diverting to Trieste disembark

Currently on Explorer of the Seas expected to return to Ravenna on Sunday.  The Captain just announced we will be diverting to Trieste because of the flooding in the Ravenna area.  They will be delivering a letter with more details this evening. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Currently on Explorer of the Seas expected to return to Ravenna on Sunday.  The Captain just announced we will be diverting to Trieste because of the flooding in the Ravenna area.  They will be delivering a letter with more details this evening. 

Wow. They’re about 180 miles apart by road. Both around the same distance from Venice but anyone with flights to/from Bologna now faces a 3-4 hour drive to/from the airport.

We're in Bologna and have only just had an email about the changes. 

I spoke to rc today and they didn't mention the change of port!

To say it's been stressful today is an understatement.  Having found and booked a car transfer to ravenna.  

I wish rc would be more forthcoming with information. 

I feel for my fellow cruise mates that are in ravenna now and will have to make their way back up to Venice first for check in.

That’s really concerning. Family and I are on Explorer a week on Sunday and flying in to Bologna on the Friday so goodness what’ll happen if it’s docking in Trieste. Really interested to see what the letter that you will be getting advises. 

I am sure did their best to keep it in ravenna. We had our flight to Venice canceled because of the strike on fri. I then spent 6 hours trying to rebook. Finally our agent found us flight that was leaving inn 4 hours on wed. We live 1 1/2 hours from Tampa airport so hired up and made it.got in on Thurs found a hotel near the airport and now got the letter about the change. Its been a stressful couple of days.

42 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

Does anyone know if RCI are offering transfers to Trieste from Ravenna. They have a responsibility to transfer guests who are already in Ravenna I would have thought. 

No. You need to get to Venice cruise terminal and they will transfer you to Trieste. 

We’re in Ravenna now. Our first train yesterday from Venice to Ferrara was 90 minutes late and our second train to Ravenna cancelled. We made it to Ferrara, then spent €180 on a cab to get to our AirBnB in Ravenna. Then got the email tonight we have to go back to Venice for checkin! There are 6 of us and still no trains from Ravenna so we are looking for a van service or we’ll be cabbing it back to catch a train. What an adventure and we aren’t even on the ship yet! But, we’ll make it work out. Good luck to everyone trying to get off and on Sunday! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, tadjr said:

We’re in Ravenna now. Our first train yesterday from Venice to Ferrara was 90 minutes late and our second train to Ravenna cancelled. We made it to Ferrara, then spent €180 on a cab to get to our AirBnB in Ravenna. Then got the email tonight we have to go back to Venice for checkin! There are 6 of us and still no trains from Ravenna so we are looking for a van service or we’ll be cabbing it back to catch a train. What an adventure and we aren’t even on the ship yet! But, we’ll make it work out. Good luck to everyone trying to get off and on Sunday! 

We admire your positive attitude...wishing you safe travels.

• Like 2

We are at LHR right now on our way to Bologna then Ravenna tonight, what a nightmare for us all.  Have managed to get a taxi to take us to Venice tomorrow as our bags are already gone and checked through to Bologna so can’t even attempt to change our flight. Tomorrow will be a long long day of taxis and buses !! 

9 hours ago, scottraveller said:

Does anyone know if RCI are offering transfers to Trieste from Ravenna. They have a responsibility to transfer guests who are already in Ravenna I would have thought. 

No it’s up to us to get to Venice unless you have organized flights/transfers through Royal, they are providing a transfer to Trieste from Venice though for everyone. There was me thinking how clever I was flying into Bologna too as it is closer to Ravenna 🤣🤣🤣

I’m in a similar predicament pencruise, my family and I are due to fly to Bologna next Friday for the cruise on 28th and stay in Ravenna for two nights. Looks like they’ve just washed their hands of any responsibility for getting guests to Venice from Ravenna. I feel for you and your family having to spend all that money getting to Venice. Good luck

It is now Saturday morning on the Explorer.  They have not yet delivered more written details.  I hope they come this morning.  But there is a new recording on the TV from the Hospitality Director.  The biggest issues will obviously be for people who have booked their own transfers from the ship to various places.  They need to rebook those now from the Trieste train station.  Royal will be shuttling those guests there.  It sounds like everyone who arranged a transfer from Royal, will still be taken to their planned destination in time, excluding Ravenna train station.  Even Bologna airport and train station will still have shuttles.  

A big issue I see coming, however, is that we are disembarking in a cargo pier.  There is no terminal at the location.  And limited space, so they say.  Guests will be responsible for getting their own luggage off the ship.  They staff, will try to assist where they can.  I envision huge lines at elevators which will also be on the stairways as people struggle with large suitcases.  All while trying to get to an assigned shuttle bus at a certain time.  I see chaos.  

I assume anyone boarding on the 21st should also plan on having to bring your own luggage on board.  But I haven’t been told that of course. Fun day tomorrow, no doubt. 

12 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

It is now Saturday morning on the Explorer.  They have not yet delivered more written details.  I hope they come this morning. 

12 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

See post 14

5 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Yes, I’ve seen that letter.  Only very general info.  But it does not supply the necessary details on timing of anything.  Such as, what time one needs to be off the boat to catch their shuttle to Venice Airport in time for a 2pm flight.  

Whilst I totally sympathise with the people in northern Italy for the catastrophic flooding which brings things into perspective, it shouldn’t detract from RCI doing the right thing for its guests. Will Royal Caribbean be offering a full refund as I for one (and my family) go on holiday to have fun and chill and not have to worry about getting there or indeed home. I can probably get to the pick up in Venice in time (if it is sailing from Trieste) but getting back to Bologna airport in time for a flight at 12.55 on 4th June for me seems to be virtually impossible. I’ve researched and getting a transfer for 7 of us including small kids is a major issue. It would have to be by train and it doesn’t appeal having to lug 7 suitcases all the way there and takes around 5 hours. The key thing for me is that Royal need to make a decision about where my cruise is embarking and disembarking from by Monday. I can then decide on my course of action which would be to cancel if it’s from Trieste. Clearly that is a major change to the cruise arrangements and should therefore constitute an offer of full refund. Any views

5 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

Whilst I totally sympathise with the people in northern Italy for the catastrophic flooding which brings things into perspective, it shouldn’t detract from RCI doing the right thing for its guests. Will Royal Caribbean be offering a full refund as I for one (and my family) go on holiday to have fun and chill and not have to worry about getting there or indeed home. I can probably get to the pick up in Venice in time (if it is sailing from Trieste) but getting back to Bologna airport in time for a flight at 12.55 on 4th June for me seems to be virtually impossible. I’ve researched and getting a transfer for 7 of us including small kids is a major issue. It would have to be by train and it doesn’t appeal having to lug 7 suitcases all the way there and takes around 5 hours. The key thing for me is that Royal need to make a decision about where my cruise is embarking and disembarking from by Monday. I can then decide on my course of action which would be to cancel if it’s from Trieste. Clearly that is a major change to the cruise arrangements and should therefore constitute an offer of full refund. Any views

We are on the same cruise and I’m really hoping they decide sooner rather than later so I have time to cancel and rearrange hotels (currently staying the night before in Ravenna and can cancel for free until Monday but then have to pay and have the train booked). We’re also on the same flight as you on the 4th and I’m nervous about getting there on time if we dock back into Trieste. Fingers crossed a decision is made sooner rather than later (and they don’t then change again). 

Hopefully things turn out positively and I can buy you a drink on our cruise on 28th. We’ve booked to stay in Ravenna for two nights and have all the transfers scheduled as well. It would be my youngest daughter’s (and her family) first cruise and she is so looking forward to it. We’re the same re cancelling all our arrangements as I understand there is no charge as long as I notify the hotel within three days of arrival (Tuesday). I’ve phoned BA and they’ve advised an almost full refund as I paid with avios and cash. I guess these are the things that are set to try us. 

25 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

I’m afraid I would work on the assumption that you won’t hear anything by Monday. It’s a rapidly changing situation that inevitably requires some fairly last minute planning.

As for cancelling, I’d agree that embarking in Trieste instead of Ravenna would constitute a material change and warrant a refund. Royal, of course, may disagree. Unfortunately you’re in a bit of a catch 22: until Royal says otherwise, nothing has changed and you’d be expected to board in Ravenna as normal.

But by the time they do advise you of any change it may be too late to cancel your hotel and flights with no penalty. Hopefully your travel insurance would cover most of that. And yes, with Avios bookings you can cancel up until 24 hours before departure for a full refund less a £35 fee (or whatever the cash element was if it was less).

• Like 1