Explorer diverting to Trieste disembark

38 minutes ago, little britain said:

Can anyone BOARDING today please share their boarding info from RCI?

Did you have to go to checkin at Venice or could you make your own way to Trieste? 

No check in at Trieste

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, little britain said:

Can anyone BOARDING today please share their boarding info from RCI?

Did you have to go to checkin at Venice or could you make your own way to Trieste? 

Check in is at Venice,  Trieste has no passenger terminal.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Check in is at Venice,  Trieste has no passenger terminal.

Thanks. Just thinking ahead.

We have driver to Ravenna but if ship will go from Trieste and RCI will transfer us, will need to ask about cancelling and refunds. 

Checked with my hotel this morning and the motorways are all open again and she confirmed that the train station should open tomorrow. That’s good news in regard to the ships sailing from Ravenna. 

Celebrity have not changed their plans and have so far advised that they will be sailing from Ravenna on 25th this week. Just got to keep those fingers crossed

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scottraveller said:

Checked with my hotel this morning and the motorways are all open again and she confirmed that the train station should open tomorrow. That’s good news in regard to the ships sailing from Ravenna. 

Celebrity have not changed their plans and have so far advised that they will be sailing from Ravenna on 25th this week. Just got to keep those fingers crossed

Just talked to our B&B in Ravenna, they said exactly the same thing about the roads and the train station.  Fingers crossed!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

RCI are having to use the cargo terminal hence no checkin facility. Yes there is a proper terminal but looks like Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity are in the parking spots today!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, little britain said:

RCI are having to use the cargo terminal hence no checkin facility. Yes there is a proper terminal but looks like Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity are in the parking spots today!

But the Crystal ships are still laid up so no reason not to use the facility for check in and shuttle people to Voyager, At least easier than check in in Venice I believe... The piers at the Trieste cruise terminal are suitable for ships up to 300 meter only I learnt.

43 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

But the Crystal ships are still laid up so no reason not to use the facility for check in and shuttle people to Voyager, At least easier than check in in Venice I believe... The piers at the Trieste cruise terminal are suitable for ships up to 300 meter only I learnt.

Have you notified Miami, so they can change their plans with this better idea?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

At such short notice I would guess RCI have to make do with what is made available.

I'm sure they would have rather used the facilities at Trieste than the logistics of arranging and ferrying passengers to and from Venice cruise terminal to Trieste

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, icsys said:

At such short notice I would guess RCI have to make do with what is made available.

I'm sure they would have rather used the facilities at Trieste than the logistics of arranging and ferrying passengers to and from Venice cruise terminal to Trieste

Yes, this might be the case. However, my original point was just that crazyank posted Trieste has no cruise terminal and this is not true. Other cruise lines like TUI do check in there which is easy and convenient. 

On 5/20/2023 at 4:12 AM, sowhat said:

Our luggage  tags have disappeared .

We are on a full package  with Royal Caribbean, so we are laid  back.

Costs a little more but definitely takes all the stress away.  Were on the June 4th cruise so should be all okay by then.

On 5/20/2023 at 2:31 AM, scottraveller said:

. I can probably get to the pick up in Venice in time (if it is sailing from Trieste) but getting back to Bologna airport in time for a flight at 12.55 on 4th June for me seems to be virtually impossible

@scottraveller,  just a heads up there is a strike by multiple unions and a few flight crews, to take place at Italian airports on June 4.  It was to have taken place on Friday 19 May, but was pushed to 4 June due to the flooding. 

We’ve been following the strike news, as we are flying from US on 3 June, to arrive in Italy on June 4.  

Good luck with all your travel planning.  

@2catsand2kids, saw you are also flying June 4. 

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Yes, this might be the case. However, my original point was just that crazyank posted Trieste has no cruise terminal and this is not true. Other cruise lines like TUI do check in there which is easy and convenient. 

It appears RCI is doing what it can with an altogether bad situation:

"The Maritime Station has an open area of 9,900 m2 and a total covered area of 7,200 m2. Furthermore, it has two berths available which can accommodate two latest generation cruise ships for home port operations: berth 29, with a length of 220 meters and a draft of 30' (9.14 metres), and the 30 berth, with a length of 240 meters and a draft of 26' (7.92 meters)." 

Voyager class vessels:

Length 311 m (1,020 ft)
Beam
  • 38.6 m (127 ft) - Waterline
  • 49.1 m (161 ft) - Max
Draught 8.3 m (27 ft)

14 hours ago, little britain said:

Crystal went out of business, rather suddenly. I guess their ships are docked somewhere. Interesting! Thanks. 

47 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone on board Explorer just now what you have been advised regarding disembarkation next Sunday. Have you been advised that it’ll be Ravenna or Trieste please. Thanks in advance 

The itinerary update for Explorer is gone from the RCL website and trains are running from Ravenna station beginning this evening, (23 May)  Best guess is it will be Ravenna.

1 minute ago, scottraveller said:

Thanks crazyank. I’ve got my fingers, toes and everything you can think of crossed

same here,  :))  We're watching things closely, communicating with friends who live in Ravenna and following the Italian news services.  If we hear any updates we'll post the info here.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Curious how this has worked out for those impacted on this turn around.

The crew did an amazing job with a very difficult situation.  Overnight, they arranged bus transfers to get cruisers to the Bologna & Venice Airports, and the Trieste Train Station from the Trieste Commercial Dock.  Everyone with Royal paid transfers were automatically scheduled with departure times for busses taking them to their destinations.  Everyone else went to the Train Station on shuttle busses.  

Crew were available in a Conference Room for hours to answer questions and help with changes.  Multiple announcements were made, a departure schedule with Luggage Tag Departure times was delivered to everyone’s cabin, and there was information on the TV.  Guest Services was fully staffed and they were busy!

The Windjammer opened around 3am for breakfast and the MDR also opened early.  We found everything incredibly smooth.  We were on Deck 9, Midship, and had to depart from the forward gangway.  There was no problem wheeling our bags down the hall and no wait to get an elevator.  Downstairs, there was a bus waiting for the short (15 minute) ride to the Train Station.  

As Trieste was a Commercial Dock, there were no luggage services, so you did have to get your bags to Deck 1 where Security scanned you off the ship.  We were surprised to see Crew waiting right there to take bags and load them on a bus sitting right at the bottom of the ramp.   

The entire process was incredibly smooth for what must have been a logistical nightmare.  The EX crew went above and beyond to make an unsettling situation as easy as possible.  Many worked through the night and still had to welcome the next guests with smiles later in the day!  We are grateful to all of them!

I know some cruisers were annoyed due to a longer bus ride or a plan change at the eleventh hour, but in our opinion, Royal did everything they could to make the process as easy as possible.  The terminal in Ravenna was unavailable due to the terrible flooding.  People in Ravenna lost lives, homes, and property,  Our thoughts are with them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2