NCL website and LA port hotel question

jrbeccles

Two questions (well maybe one comment and one question) for you.  

We are Platinum on NCL, but it's been 18 months since our last Norwegian cruise as we have been having fun on HAL and Princess. I just booked, via NCL, the Bliss Panama Canal cruise this coming January 2024. 

Comment - (and I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed ad nauseum on the site). The NCL website has changed since I last used it, as it does not show port charges and taxes now when looking at a specific cruise. You must wait till the final checkout to see those additional costs. I wonder what their logic is behind this? I found it very annoying. It's like going to the store and buying a jar of coffee and the sticker says, “Well the jar is $8 for the base cost, but you won't know the shipping charges and our markup until you get to the cash register. 

Question - What are the good Los Angeles port hotels, where we could have very easy access to the Bliss on the morning of sailing? Suggestions are greatly appreciated as I've never gone out of LA on a cruise. 

Thanks! 

15 minutes ago, jrbeccles said:

We are Platinum on NCL, but it's been 18 months since our last Norwegian cruise as we have been having fun on HAL and Princess. I just booked, via NCL, the Bliss Panama Canal cruise this coming January 2024. 

Comment - (and I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed ad nauseum on the site). The NCL website has changed since I last used it, as it does not show port charges and taxes now when looking at a specific cruise. You must wait till the final checkout to see those additional costs. I wonder what their logic is behind this? I found it very annoying. It's like going to the store and buying a jar of coffee and the sticker says, “Well the jar is $8 for the base cost, but you won't know the shipping charges and our markup until you get to the cash register. 

Question - What are the good Los Angeles port hotels, where we could have very easy access to the Bliss on the morning of sailing? Suggestions are greatly appreciated as I've never gone out of LA on a cruise. 

Thanks! 

I believe the best option is the Crown Plaza San Pedro followed by the Doubletree in San Pedro.  They may not be the least expensive option.  But they are the most frequently mentioned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrbeccles said:

Thanks!

Check out the West Coast Departures forum for lots of good hotel/transportation info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

• Like 1

We took the same cruise this past January.  The only hotels near the port of San Pedro are the Crown Plaza and the Doubletree, as MeHeartCruising advised.  The Crown Plaza is about a 10 minute walk if you are embarking from the main terminal but they also have a shuttle.  We stayed there and were happy with it. 

Sometimes NCL does not embark from the main cruise terminal but uses another berth down in what is called the Outer Harbor.  There are no real facilities at the Outer Harbor, just a big tent full of folding chairs and it is not a good set up.  There were long waits and status (other than Haven) was ignored.  We had been warned in advance and were spared most of it by signing up for the earliest check in time and getting down there early.

4 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

Thanks! 

check out hotels in Long beach.  it just the other side of the Port Of Los Angeles.  Short ride to the port.  Some might have shuttles.  Lots to do in the Pine Street Entertainment Area ( I think that's what it's called).  Im on the cruise after you ( Miami-Los Angeles)

7 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

The NCL website has changed since I last used it, as it does not show port charges and taxes now when looking at a specific cruise. You must wait till the final checkout to see those additional costs. I wonder what their logic is behind this? I found it very annoying. It's like going to the store and buying a jar of coffee and the sticker says, “Well the jar is $8 for the base cost, but you won't know the shipping charges and our markup until you get to the cash register. 

I was just booking a hotel for an upcoming trip.  Web site for example lists $100 for the room.  Get to the checkout and here come the add-ons.  $10 if you want to be able to cancel. $2 if you want to pay onsite instead of now. $10 if you want breakfast included. $11 in taxes. And so forth.

I can't speak to the logic.  But fairly common in my experience with hotels and airlines.  And most online purchases don't give you shipping charges until you get to the checkout.

3 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

check out hotels in Long beach.  it just the other side of the Port Of Los Angeles.  Short ride to the port.  Some might have shuttles.  Lots to do in the Pine Street Entertainment Area ( I think that's what it's called).  Im on the cruise after you ( Miami-Los Angeles)

I will do thanks. We almost booked your trip, but decided to finish in Miami (we live in Central Florida) . We booked port cabins hoping we will see land on the way west. 

11 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I was just booking a hotel for an upcoming trip.  Web site for example lists $100 for the room.  Get to the checkout and here come the add-ons.  $10 if you want to be able to cancel. $2 if you want to pay onsite instead of now. $10 if you want breakfast included. $11 in taxes. And so forth.

I can't speak to the logic.  But fairly common in my experience with hotels and airlines.  And most online purchases don't give you shipping charges until you get to the checkout.

I think they are all using the "airline" model where they nickel and dime you for everything. Soon it will be pay toilets on the plane.

10 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

The NCL website has changed since I last used it, as it does not show port charges and taxes now when looking at a specific cruise. You must wait till the final checkout to see those additional costs.

When I go on the website and do a mock booking it shows me the final price before having to give passenger details. I am on the NA website.

11 hours ago, jrbeccles said:

It's like going to the store and buying a jar of coffee and the sticker says, “Well the jar is $8 for the base cost, but you won't know the shipping charges and our markup until you get to the cash register.

Caution: snarky response ahead.

They do it precisely so "you won't know the shipping charges and our markup until you get to the cash register.

31 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Caution: snarky response ahead.

They do it precisely so "you won't know the shipping charges and our markup until you get to the cash register.

They hope that, having invested the time and interest, the buyer will feel like, "Oh, what the heck.  It's just a bit more."  But it also leads to a lot of abandoned internet shopping carts.  Remember THAT recent NCL bungle?

We always use the Crowne Plaza on cruises out of San Pedro. it's a nice location. You can get a package including breakfast. There's a good Mexican restaurant next door. Watch for the trolley that takes you all around the area for free.