Specialty Dining - Platinum dining & FAS speciality dining package

Yes. I done it before. One night I used the dinning package and the other night I used the platinum coupon.

Make sure you tell the waiter which once you want to use so they can put it in the computer system correctly

• Thanks 2

Yes.  We were just on the Epic TA & had he FAS Specialty dining package (2 nights) in addition to our Sapphire status 2 nights.  They'll ask you when you check-in at the restaurant what you'd to use; your FAS or your Platinum.  'Back in the day' when we first achieved Platinum status we had to remember the coupon plus it was only good at certain restaurants.

and if you want to book a mix of cover-charge and a-la-carte restaurants, book the cover-charge ones FIRST.  Otherwise the system will assume you're not using your SDP for it and will try to charge you.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hallux said:

and if you want to book a mix of cover-charge and a-la-carte restaurants, book the cover-charge ones FIRST.  Otherwise the system will assume you're not using your SDP for it and will try to charge you.

Thanks for heads up. Can I cancel my booking online?

18 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

'Back in the day' when we first achieved Platinum status we had to remember the coupon plus it was only good at certain restaurants.

Yep.  Pro tip: when you first get on stick the two platinum coupons in your wallet.

Last cruise I had to abandon DW at Teppanyaki and jet back to the cabin.

27 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  Pro tip: when you first get on stick the two platinum coupons in your wallet.

Wouldn't work for me - all I carry when on board is my phone and my room key.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Wouldn't work for me - all I carry when on board is my phone and my room key.

Well, fortunately, your cabin is never too far away.

So you never tip anybody in cash while on board?  That may not go over well with some folks here. 🤣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So you never tip anybody in cash while on board?

Only person that gets cash is my cabin steward.  I don't drink alcohol so all I'm ever getting from a bartender or server is ice water.

19 minutes ago, hallux said:

Only person that gets cash is my cabin steward.  I don't drink alcohol so all I'm ever getting from a bartender or server is ice water.

The tip is for the service not the type/cost of the beverage. 🤔

• Like 1

23 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The tip is for the service not the type/cost of the beverage. 🤔

Stop. He pays the daily service charge that happens to cover bartenders. Or, I believe he has stated that he pays it, rather than skimping out on it. 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Stop. He pays the daily service charge that happens to cover bartenders. Or, I believe he has stated that he pays it, rather than skimping out on it. 

Really?

Why is there an additional service charge if you take the FAS beverage option?

2 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Really?

Why is there an additional service charge if you take the FAS beverage option?

You have to pay the gratuities on the Free at Sea beverage package when you select it at checkout or when you add it to your cruise later. These are the US terms and conditions. I believe UK/EU terms may be different.

image.png.f626eb6c66a3d591c3a72da46da8aae4.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You have to pay the gratuities on the Free at Sea beverage package when you select it at checkout or when you add it to your cruise later. These are the US terms and conditions. I believe UK/EU terms may be different.

image.png.f626eb6c66a3d591c3a72da46da8aae4.png

Source: https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

I know the point is why are they needed if the daily service cover bar services?

The UK charge includes the additional bar gratuities that are additional to the daily service charge.

3 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

I know the point is why are they needed if the daily service cover bar services?

The UK charge includes the additional bar gratuities that are additional to the daily service charge.

Oh...I understand. I'm stupid. Yea, if he doesn't get the beverage package, he doesn't pay the gratuities. And you're right, daily service charge doesn't cover bar services.

That's what I get for working and posting. 

I still take issue with tipping for a glass of water, but otherwise, you're right. Lord have mercy.

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh...I understand. I'm stupid. Yea, if he doesn't get the beverage package, he doesn't pay the gratuities. And you're right, daily service charge doesn't cover bar services.

That's what I get for working and posting. 

I still take issue with tipping for a glass of water, but otherwise, you're right. Lord have mercy.

What if the drink($40 scotch or water) has ice does it then deserve recognition?

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

What if the drink($40 scotch or water) has ice does it then deserve recognition?

No...the scotch (without a beverage package) would have gratuity added on. Or, gratuity added on above and beyond FAS beverage package $15. 

Water. Water with ice. No tip. I'm ok if you call me cheap or a bad person for this. I can live with myself.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Water. Water with ice. No tip. I'm ok if you call me cheap or a bad person for this. I can live with myself.

Thank you.

When I tip in a restaurant on land I tip based on what I paid for the meal.  Only water?  No charge for drink, no tip based on a drink cost.  I'm not flagging down a waiter and asking them to get me a glass of water, if they happen to be getting drinks for others I'm sitting with or near and they ask then I'll ask for my water.

On my last cruise, however, I simply carried my own container of water with me.

• Like 1