Experiences on joining a segment of a world cruise

We have a 17 day RSSC cruise booked (Penthouse C, Voyager) but are now considering changing it to an 18 day cruise which would be a segment of a world cruise (Concierge is highest that is left) as this segment goes to some of my husband’s bucket list places (particularly Easter Island) which are difficult to go to otherwise and are not standard ports in most cruises. 

I am looking for experiences of what it is like to join a world cruise just for a segment. We are in particular a bit worried about shore excursions.  As those who are taking the whole world cruise  have started their cruise already 1,5 months before this segment I assume they will of course get to reserve all of their shore excursions already 1,5 months before us even though we would be in a Concierge suite. Is there usually anything interesting left at this point for us to book anymore (interesting = other than the very standard bus tours)? Restaurant reservations I don’t think will be a problem as everyone can book all restaurants just once in beforehand but these shore excursions are a serious worry to us. We’d hate to be at those bucket list places and then be stuck without a nice shore excursion. There are some overlapping ports on both of the cruises so for the 17 day non-world cruise we’d get first grabs on those excursions but on the 18 day world cruise segment we’d get to book only after others. Decisions, decisions. 

So any experiences or knowledge about joining the world cruise just for a segment mid cruise would be highly appreciated. Although I wrote much about the shore excursions I’m interested in all aspects of joining the world cruise mid cruise, not just the excursions part. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

We just finished a world cruise and joined after the first segment.  All the people who started on the first segment got to select their excursions before we did.  We got about 75% of what we wanted and waitlisted for the others.  Of the waitlisted excursions we got another 20%.  In 4 of 53 ports we did private tours.  Another consideration in joining later is that the world cruisers have formed friendships for drinking and dining.  You'll be the "new guys."  But I assume there will be more people joining with you so that may not be a negative and may not matter to you.  I recommend you make a list of your "must do" excursions and call Regent to check availability.

• Like 1

In the past we have joined a segment of a Regent World Cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, there is the risk of some excursions being waitlisted and not being able to get your first choice of speciality restaurant dining times, but we do not recall this being a huge problem.

1 hour ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

We have a 17 day RSSC cruise booked (Penthouse C, Voyager) but are now considering changing it to an 18 day cruise which would be a segment of a world cruise (Concierge is highest that is left)

Are you able to change without penalty?

I assume the World Cruise is on Mariner.

A concierge suite on Mariner is significantly smaller than a PHC on Voyager, plus you will not have the services of a butler.

Although we prefer Mariner to Voyager (better layout of public areas), we find the suites D-H a little snug.

If you do change the booking to Mariner, I would keep an eye out for a Penthouse C coming available.

Edited by flossie009

Thank you Flossie and Paul 😊

Flossie: yes we are still able to change without penalty. We’d miss the very lovely aft balcony if we change the cruise but then again gain some bucket list ports. Of course there is always a risk on a cruise that we don’t get to those ports for various reasons… So it’s a tough decision. 

Paul: yes that ”new guy” thing we have been thinking too. Will we feel awkward as others have already formed tight knit groups. But well we are two couples so have each other already.

For some reason this is a very tough call for us. We have had the 17 day Voyager booked for a long time already so letting go of it is though. But the world cruise segment would just be perfect for us. The other couple are more of a ”go with the flow” people and say whatever we decide is fine for them. They just cruise for the cruise, not for the ports. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

Both our Regent cruises were segments of a Grand Cruise.  We made many friends who had already been on the ship from day one.  You likely won't see much difference in atmosphere.  Yes, friendships will be made among the World cruisers, but that doesn't mean that you will be snubbed or excluded.  Most Regent passengers are very friendly and easy to talk to.  So go on the cruise that best suits your itinerary and don't worry about being excluded. Remember, if everyone on the ship was World cruisers there would be no segments to sell cabins on.  So you'll be boarding with others who are just joining the cruise.

• Like 3

Only one World Cruise for us so do not know if this is normal, but - At the end of all segments, the World Cruisers were offered another restaurant booking on the next segment before those people boarded.  I never heard anyone complain they could not get an additional reservation.  We also did numerous walk up to the restaurant and got a table with no reservation.  But if every World Cruiser booked an additional reservation before you board, you will probably not get an extra reservation.  This would not stop me from booking the cruise.  

Have been to Easter Island on a land package.  If this is on your bucket list, a cruise stop will only convince you to book a land package.  You cannot see it all during a cruise stop.  And you need to see it all.

• Like 1

Back near the end of 2018, we did a cruise on the Silversea ship Silver Whisper, from Barbados to Barbados, up the Amazon to Manaus and back. We really enjoyed our firs Silversea cruise, even though we had to dress up more then we usually do. We were able to afford a Silver Suite, which was very nice.

In January of 2019, we were notified of the 2021 World Cruise on Silver Whisper. While we couldn't afford the whole cruise, we booked 2 segments, Fort Lauderdale to New Zealand. We are a 2 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale, and had friends in New Zealand at the time that we wanted to  visit. The first segment was wait listed right away, but it cleared in a few months. We were really looking forward to it, especially Easter Island. Since we were boarding in the first port, we weren't worried about joining those already onboard. We did understand that those doing the whole cruise would have advantages over us for reservations, and included perks.

Then I started following the 2020 Silversea World Cruise here on Cruise Critic. As it turned out, they didn't stop at Easter Island, after 4 days at sea. There were passengers who had taken an excursion to Machu Pichu, and they flew to Easter Island. A boat took them to the ship anchored offshore, but no one on the ship was allowed to go ashore. A crazy guy had recently crashed a stolen truck into the only statues you could previously see from the ship. Some passengers onboard had tried 4 or 5 times to go to Easter Island from a cruise. Hmmmm.... I thought to myself. That was the biggest destination on my bucket list for that cruise. How would I feel if we couldn't go ashore?

Shortly thereafter, Covid shut down cruising (including my dream cruise which was booked 2 years earlier, Fiji to Bali on the Paul Gauguin, for a celebration of my Birthday on our 4th PG cruise). We then checked if we could get our money back on our future cruises, and we still could on the 2021 Silversea cruise the following January. There were other cruises later in 2021 that we could not get any money back for 2021, so they were all postponed, and mostly were taken in 2023. Ponant had bought our Paul Gauguin, and they only offered us future cruise credit for the cruise they cancelled  less than 2 weeks before it sailed. But after many reschedules to other cruises, with each costing more than the one before, and a health related problem with insurance coverage, we didn't lose much, and while we loved the Paul Gauguin, we wouldn't book with Ponant again.

But the chance to do a World Cruise to ports we mostly haven't visited before (or loved the first time), rather than any specific port that was on a bucket list occurred last August. We booked the 2025 Silversea World Cruise, from Tokyo to New York on Silver Dawn. We couldn't afford the Silver Suite, but Silver Dawn has a lot more restaurants, bars, and public spaces than Silver Whisper. We're down to just 603 days until we sail from Tokyo and are still hoping to live long enough to take this cruise.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Another consideration in joining later is that the world cruisers have formed friendships for drinking and dining.  You'll be the "new guys."  But I assume there will be more people joining with you so that may not be a negative and may not matter to you.  

We joined the 2018 world cruise in Perth for a segment to Singapore on the Navigator (smaller ship). We definitely felt the above. We are outgoing, relaxed people but found it difficult to integrate into the wc’ers. 
Don’t remember any problems getting tours. 

I am on Mariner now and would advise anyone - irrespective of paying for a segment or the entire World Cruise - to carefully evaluate reports on the ship's condition.  Personally, Mariner is dated and in dire need of repairs, updating and refurbishing staterooms & public areas.  Another problem we are experiencing is chronic understaffing and incompetence in the service levels in the restaurants.

I can say those who joined us for one of the seven legs reported to me little problem getting on tours. While most of the tours they wanted were "sold out" in advance they were placed on the "waitlist" and in the final moments were, at times (but not always) granted access to a tour.  Not ideal.  But it seemed to work for some, but not all, of the tours they wanted to join.  Dinner reservations were not an issue.

I have not sensed an "us versus you" attitude among World Cruisers and single leg passengers at bars or activities.  Far from it - most WCers are welcoming and happy to engage with you.  Frequently, WCers have joined single leg guests for dinner and lunch. In a group situation, of course, a minority unfortunately are difficult personalities.  Their problems are not yours and will not spoil your cruise.

I hope my observation offers reassurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and perspectives on Mariner. I was on the Los Angeles to Lima repositioning cruise debarking early December 2022. It was my first regent cruise and I could not fault Mariner for anything. On the cruise prior to mine, I did hear of reports of the bathroom toilet, not flushing. Yikes. It happened to me once and I contacted my steward or butler I don’t recall. It was fixed quickly.
Could you share with us any details of repairs or renovations needed. Thank you.

We are currently on the last leg of the World Cruise.  It has been one of the most friendly cruises we have ever taken.  Yes there are groups, they have been in close quarters for over 4 months now.  They are still very friendly, it seems more like a big family party than individuals on a cruise.  I have enjoyed the camaraderie.  

I booked our shore excursions as soon as I could.  There were 2 that had to be waitlisted, one cleared quickly and the other had openings the day of the tour.  So, we got 100% first choice.

Dinner reservations were made as soon as possible.  I got the days I wanted, but had to book an hour later  for one, no big deal.

The ship is just fine.  Yes, there are some things that could be redone, perhaps, but the overall condition is good, I can find nothing about which to complain.  The toilets did have a flush problem one morning, but it was fixed and I just looked on this as a cruise experience!

Traveling with the World Cruise on the Mariner has been a super experience.  If the itinerary is what you want, book it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PhD: there are other disappointing aspects of Mariner I won't address here (such as service levels and food quality and food shortages) but you asked about repairs.  Based on my experience:

One elevator (out of three) has not worked for several months.  A second is periodically taken out of service. 12 of us were stuck in a third elevator which failed to open or move. 

Internet service has been unreliable and inconsistent - at stretches not available - throughout the entire cruise.  Culprit claimed are "parts missing."  Unacceptable and frustrating.

Our stateroom and others visited have frayed & soiled carpeting, furniture is worn & in need of replacement (sofa pillows offer very little support making it a struggle to raise oneself up).  There is mold on the balcony door base along with chipping and rust on the balcony interior & exterior door and railings. 

There have been ongoing water issues - ours lacks cold water in the shower which, on a hot day in port, is unwelcome.  As noted, toilets have separate issues. Maintenance crew are kept busy!

Mariner is obviously not a new ship but it has sentimental value as it has been in Regent's fleet for some time.  But it needs considerable repair work and significant updating in the staterooms and public areas.  It is nowhere near the condition of Voyager and Splendor. 

For the substantial fare charged by Regent - prices are increasing every three months - caveat emptor.  Above are my observations & opinion based on 5 months onboard. Others interested should consult CC passenger trip reports so you can consider the views of other passengers who may or may not agree with my assessment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are also just finishing the world cruise and have similar observations as the previous poster. At least we have hot water - heard some people talk about taking cold showers. Toilet issues are frequent for us. The other problem is that Mariner apparently can’t handle the transition from a warm to a cooler climate. The air conditioning just pumps out more cold air and the whole ship becomes a big freezer - people coming to dinner in overcoats and wrapped in shawls. Twice in our cabin, we had set the thermostat to the highest level and it kept blowing cold air, at one time it went down to 63 degrees. At least our cabin air seems to be fixed now.

But, as wristband hints, the biggest issue is really the decline in service since the significant crew changeover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1