Insurance for a World Cruise

Divi

For anyone not fortunate enough to have insurance through an employer, what are the best options? How much coverage is needed? What, specifically, should be covered?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I found top up our credit card insurance is most cost effective, for about 3 weeks 

not sure it would cover the length of a world cruise 

Limits are much too low, especially if you are over 65. 

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Limits are much too low, especially if you are over 65. 

You are incorrect , you can get what ever coverage you want , 

I am over 65

My cc uses Allianz Global Assistance and you are dealing with a registered insurance broker when you are discuss your insurance needs

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

21 hours ago, Divi said:

For anyone not fortunate enough to have insurance through an employer, what are the best options? How much coverage is needed? What, specifically, should be covered?

Thank you.

Your insurance options may be limited depending on which World Cruise you are considering, specifically, the deposit amount, total cost and how early the full payment is due.

When researching insurance options, I look for, at a minimum:

- Trip cancellation/interruption - insuring the deposit amount at time of booking, which for us can be up to 2-yrs before the cruise. Then increasing the amount when full payment is made, which can be as early as 6 - 12 months before sailing, depending on cruise line

- Medical - we look for a minimum of $5 million pp, to as high as $10 million, c/w emergency evacuation and repatriation.

- Pre-existing condition waiver

Unfortunately, when booking our 2nd and 3rd World Cruises on Viking, no local or online broker would accept the risk, due to the cruise cost, early booking and 6 month PIF date. Our only insurance option was the cruise line insurance, which we supplemented with a local medical policy.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:29 PM, Divi said:

Thank you.

I would be very very surprised if there is anyone in Canada who would have insurance through an employer that would cover the length of a world cruise.  😮

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

I would be very very surprised if there is anyone in Canada who would have insurance through an employer that would cover the length of a world cruise.  😮

There are many employers across Canada, including the federal government and many universities, that offer employees the opportunity to take extended leave without pay, a sabbatical year, etc., during which they can maintain their health insurance.

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There are many employers across Canada, including the federal government and many universities, that offer employees the opportunity to take extended leave without pay, a sabbatical year, etc., during which they can maintain their health insurance.

Health insurance is one thing, but emergency travel health medical insurance outside of the province lasting the entire length of a typical world cruise that is the subject of this thread?  

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

38 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Health insurance is one thing, but emergency travel health medical insurance outside of the province lasting the entire length of a typical world cruise that is the subject of this thread?  

Yes, most limit the out of province coverage to periods of travel not exceeding a given number of consecutive days. As you say, most would probably be too short for a full world cruise.

We've got great travel insurance (unless you have pre-existing conditions...grrrrr....), but the max out of province is 30 days. For an Australian/NZ trip, the insurance carrier gave us a partner who provided top up insurance for days past the original 30. It was cheap.

13 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

We've got great travel insurance (unless you have pre-existing conditions...grrrrr....), but the max out of province is 30 days. For an Australian/NZ trip, the insurance carrier gave us a partner who provided top up insurance for days past the original 30. It was cheap.

How does your post help anyone else when you don’t provide a name or link to the insurance company 🤔

Gee... well, I called our insurance carrier Green Shield and asked them if they topped up insurance for trips beyond 30 days, & if not who did they recommend. They gave me their number . What was the top up carrier's name & number? Can't remember it was a few years back.