Live Report: Suddenly, I’m Going to Norway!

*Miss G*

On 6/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, *Miss G* said:

Today we went to watercolor class.  Have I mentioned that I am hopeless at art?  Here is my attempt at painting the northern lights.  Before I turned it this way up and attempted to fix it, I called it “Dead Porpoise”.  Now that it’s upside down I call it “Despair”.

Oh. My. Goodness.  I laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

I gave up on art a long time back. What I put onto paper never bore any relationship to the image in my mind and no amount of classes ever helped....

Thank goodness for photography (and yours is smashing, btw).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh. My. Goodness.  I laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

I gave up on art a long time back. What I put onto paper never bore any relationship to the image in my mind and no amount of classes ever helped....

Thank goodness for photography (and yours is smashing, btw).

I married an art teacher, but I am sure my art is as bad as yours. But, I have learned a lot about museums.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2023 at 1:21 PM, fusion927 said:

Sounds like a non-answer to me 😵‍💫 But actually works for us (she can walk short distances and it's a light scooter I can carry over any threshold.

Thanks again...

Not sure if it would be the same as they are different class ships, but last month for Panama Canal Volendam opened the bow and required entry via the show room ( instead of access from Lower Promenade and then climbing the ladder).

They had several staff set up, and pax were able to walk a flat path to the door leading to the bow. At that point there was a short a-frame ramp covering the step-over lip. A lady using a rollator was supported by staff as she walked up and down the small ramp. Then they gave her back her rollator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/3/2023 at 6:17 AM, *Miss G* said:

Shall we talk about door bangers?  

They were also bad on our cruise.  The passengers in the cabin above ours would walk into their stateroom and slam the door.  Then they would loudly walk across the room and go out unto their balcony once again slamming the door.  A few seconds later, they would repeat the pattern.  They did this at all hours, including at 2:00am when they would come in from wherever they had been. 😫

On 6/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, *Miss G* said:

Bergen.  We didn’t do any research for this port but, to be fair, we didn’t do research for any of the other ports either.  One doesn’t have time for that when one books last minute.

We are docked at an industrial port and Clare says it’s a 1.5 mile walk to town.  We opt to stay onboard and enjoy some peace and quiet.  (And a little rest.)

Too bad that you did not go into Bergen.  We loved it!  The walking was not bad because it's mostly flat.  We saw many old homes along the way.  The city center was very pretty with flowers blooming everywhere.  Interesting history, as well.  

BB Kings - What do mean you "thought the band off"?    Was the main male lead a guy with dreads?  If it's the same band that we had last cruise, we thought they were great!  

BTW- I like the water colors.  Interesting design and beautiful colors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I married an art teacher, but I am sure my art is as bad as yours. But, I have learned a lot about museums.

Giggling!  Our son is an artist,  when he was young he wouldn’t leave the Louvre as he hadn’t seen all the sculptures 🤷‍♀️

When we visited the Tate modern in London we quickly walked through a room we thought under construction with step ladders, cans of paints, peanut shells on the floor etc.  DS exclaimed later how realistic the peanut shells were..   later the caretaker made the same mistake as we did and swept up the art.  Only to be fired and later hired as one of the London papers art critic 😉😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Giggling!  Our son is an artist,  when he was young he wouldn’t leave the Louvre as he hadn’t seen all the sculptures 🤷‍♀️

When we visited the Tate modern in London we quickly walked through a room we thought under construction with step ladders, cans of paints, peanut shells on the floor etc.  DS exclaimed later how realistic the peanut shells were..   later the caretaker made the same mistake as we did and swept up the art.  Only to be fired and later hired as one of the London papers art critic 😉😀

Wow, the Louvre is GIGANTIC. Our funny story for there is we had trouble finding a way out. 🤣 We did stumble upon a handicap entrance which was nice to find since I was in a walking boot at the time.

• Like 5

Miss G, how I miss you. I do hope you have been busy enjoying the last few days of your cruise, and that you have not picked up any kind of a bug from the bad coughing you mentioned that was going on. 

• Like 2

Oh my gosh, everyone.  Thank you so much!  I will be responding soon.  I am a it burnt out with so many things going on but I have been keeping notes and pictures and will update soon!  So many fun and exciting things to post.  🥰

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Oh my gosh, everyone.  Thank you so much!  I will be responding soon.  I am a it burnt out with so many things going on but I have been keeping notes and pictures and will update soon!  So many fun and exciting things to post.  🥰

Good to hear, lots of stuff for all of us to look forward to. 😊

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 3:34 AM, *Miss G* said:

Following watercolor class we went to the Polar Bear Plunge where some hardy souls threw buckets of ice into the Seaview Pool then jumped in after them.  As you can tell in this video, the wind was strong and it was cold.  That made the next part of the initiation even funnier, since they were now wet and freezing and had to do a very long swearing in ceremony, which was all part of the joke.  🥶  

Okay, never mind.  I would love to show you the video but the upload speed is way too slow.  Here is a picture instead.

I’m back!  And I am now able to upload the Polar Bear Plunge video.  This was the part where they had already been in the pool… and that wind was biting!

• Like 4

I have been home for 12 hours and have spent the night intermittently snoozing then waking up in a panic having absolutely no idea where I was!  Also, my body still feels like it is on a ship so I am listing a lot.  😳

On 6/6/2023 at 6:45 AM, ontheweb said:

Hmmm, maybe I should see if DW could apply for a job as a watercolor instructor. She is a retired art teacher, and watercolors is one of her main interests. If they also did quilting and/or crocheting,she could double up.

And BTW, I am also terrible at art.

I apologize for the lack of clarity in my next few sentences because I wasn’t paying attention due to studious concentration on my art but… Our instructor said she had been working on NCL and somewhere else in an entertainment capacity or something.  She had an interest in crafts because she was a knitter so she took a couple of certifications and applied for the crafts job.  She gave classes on origami, coloring, watercolors, calligraphy number painting, and basic knitting.  Your wife could so do this!  Tell her she wants to teach on a world cruise or the pole to pole to maximize the experience.  🙃

On 6/6/2023 at 10:26 PM, Iamthesea said:

Too bad that you did not go into Bergen.  We loved it!  The walking was not bad because it's mostly flat.  We saw many old homes along the way.  The city center was very pretty with flowers blooming everywhere.  Interesting history, as well.  

BB Kings - What do mean you "thought the band off"?    Was the main male lead a guy with dreads?  If it's the same band that we had last cruise, we thought they were great!  

I have regrets that we didn’t get into Bergen!  But that’s okay because I will do that another time.

I’ve been to B.B. King’s on a number of sailings and this time something was just off.  The energy was missing and each member kept disappearing backstage behind the curtain!  I said to my sister “Maybe they have snacks back there?”  🤷‍♀️ With all that coughing and sneezing on the ship, maybe they were feeling rundown and going back to blow their nose.  I don’t recall a guy with dreads but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have them.  As you can tell by my art, I wasn’t focusing on detail.  🫠

On 6/8/2023 at 4:53 PM, LnWG said:

Miss G, how I miss you. I do hope you have been busy enjoying the last few days of your cruise, and that you have not picked up any kind of a bug from the bad coughing you mentioned that was going on. 

I didn’t catch the plague!  It did make me diligent about eating my sister’s gummy vitamins, though, so maybe that did the trick.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 6

It is the same BB Kings group that we had.  Saw their photo on another review.  You would not be able to miss the guy with the dreads.  He was one of the two main singers.  Good looking guy!  See photo. Perhaps you would catch the portion of the show when just the woman was singing.  Though there were some duets, they mostly took turns.  That's what all the "going back stage" thing was about.  Just taking a needed break.  They both also took part in two of the production shows.  We thought they both had fantastic voices.

BB King.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DAY SIXTEEN - continued

Kristiansand is a lovely little town just a short walk from the ship.  You will find walking maps by the information/souvenir shop as you leave the terminal.

Ship in a bottle.  (Sorta)

F0D0E41D-AD7C-4175-9D02-D43649BB914B.thumb.jpeg.b436635f5df7878fefd78d3072a4ffbc.jpeg

It was less disturbing than the view from this direction:

23D00458-C859-4F39-98EC-3331CB54F67C.thumb.jpeg.2a822f920e312df2ed3c284ce77ffefc.jpeg

If you turn down the wrong street you will find a lovely graffiti wall.  (There is also an Irish pub across the street if you want to get in on the Fish and Chip World Challenge™.)

817711C0-D1AE-44BC-B41B-2E27CE22853F.thumb.jpeg.286d4c6160a59793cf2e89b3d7b489ff.jpeg

Follow the water’s edge, go underneath the viaduct, and you will emerge into a little seaport village!

01511EBA-BB4F-4CA7-9E9A-874787A9C3A7.thumb.jpeg.7a04a105ad82cd2458c1770b94c99734.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

In the seaport you will find the fish market where they have lovely bugs and fishes to take home to your kitchen table (if you lived here).

3188F3F8-2BEE-4895-9A4C-D1831DB553F4.thumb.jpeg.427fd5660a3344fc313fe79ecd9816f6.jpeg

B60D2602-2D5D-477E-9E01-A31ECA8296AC.thumb.jpeg.ac3e4140573b98013c27dbd0b6a6b5f1.jpeg

2ECDED4C-5B4D-43A6-A386-BA3E5C08560D.thumb.jpeg.2b7eea8adb178c2972b767823fe135ff.jpeg

This guy didn’t look so happy about that.

4FEF2130-F582-40CC-9EBE-802C2A384261.thumb.jpeg.9e19620479ee555a5215dd0ea346a65d.jpeg

After the encounter with Mr. Fish Head, I couldn’t get that song out of my head for the rest of the day.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I have been home for 12 hours and have spent the night intermittently snoozing then waking up in a panic having absolutely no idea where I was!  Also, my body still feels like it is on a ship so I am listing a lot.  😳

Welcome home, get a good rest!!  Catch up here when you feel like it.

And huge thanks again for sharing your amazing trip with us and your beautiful photos!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

It is the same BB Kings group that we had.  Saw their photo on another review.  You would not be able to miss the guy with the dreads.  He was one of the two main singers.  Good looking guy!  See photo. Perhaps you would catch the portion of the show when just the woman was singing.  Though there were some duets, they mostly took turns.  That's what all the "going back stage" thing was about.  Just taking a needed break.  They both also took part in two of the production shows.  We thought they both had fantastic voices.

BB King.jpg

Oh, now I remember him!  (I am a visual learner lol) Yes, good voices.  Just a little lacking in energy.  I probably caught them on an off night.  It happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I’m back!  And I am now able to upload the Polar Bear Plunge video.  This was the part where they had already been in the pool… and that wind was biting!

There were about 20 people for the previous itinerary that did the Polar Bear plunge. It was done in the Arctic Circle, while the ship was moving at the standard 20 knots or so, overcast, and of course the arctic air was blowing. I didn't join b/c I had already gone for a swim earlier that day and with the water at 80 F, it honestly was not too bad to jump in.

• Like 2

To the right of the fish market (building on the left with the picture of the crab) is a takeaway place (under the grey awning to the right).

DCB09F6B-2368-413A-97A1-F54091AAF0EA.thumb.jpeg.6bb7aaa0341f50b966027b3e1ab2098a.jpeg

We decided to enlist them for the Fish and Chip World Challenge™.  Despite appearances, their fish rated a “Meh” on a scale of Yuck-to-Yum.  Their chips rated a Yuck because they were covered in some sort of seasoning dust and had no soft insides; it was all crispy exterior.  We tried a couple but couldn’t eat the rest.  To give them their due, however, the fish was definitely fresh.

3E4DC561-948A-45FD-9A5B-A343E6006275.thumb.jpeg.6a759f0f4653c6b4b20f72754980baa5.jpeg

9590EB25-B954-49EB-8AF8-A3BDE60F5736.thumb.jpeg.db5dc915d001cc70a98132359ced2d9f.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 8

On 6/4/2023 at 9:07 AM, Tigrou said:

Another example of lack of manners (and common sense) on this cruise.

While I was sitting in Explorations Cafe this morning I saw and heard a woman stop one of the servers and loudly demand, as she gestured out towards Haugesund, “What is there to do here? There was no information on the TV. How are we meant to know what to do?” Unsurprisingly the guy looked a little startled but politely suggested she speak to Shore Excursions or Guest Services.

To be fair, the guest was asking a valid question though it was completely inappropriate to believe anybody on the hotel staff has any power over the ship's itinerary.  That all comes from the corporate office. All Captain Noel does is direct his staff to navigate the ship safely to whatever ports of calls HAL's home office tells him to attempt on any given cruise.

I hiked about 15 miles the day before in Bergen, so I don't think I even got off the ship but to get a tourist map.

If memory serves, there might have been an okay hike north of the ship along the coastline.... it was a beautiful day.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

Continuing our walk into town…

I just don’t know.  🤷‍♀️

F1BCAACD-E096-4E15-BFF6-46A3EF0B188E.thumb.jpeg.9044775ea9fedb92f60f2fd02f73bbc8.jpeg

Here is where you find a bakery.  (Just out of the picture, to the left.)

2D4F3CF7-A573-409D-B198-2134495BB389.thumb.jpeg.c6a37bad2f92a3a30cd4044e04ba23bf.jpeg

Snacks.  I think if either one of us had caved and bought one of these, we would have had no problem eating it.  I bet they were good.

5DD57D3C-BA9F-4FF3-863C-94BFA60A4F95.thumb.jpeg.71c496202c6212e233804ff4858a00c7.jpeg

• Like 8

I can’t even begin to describe how absolutely gorgeous the flowers at this port are.  Everywhere you go, it smells like a flower shop.  They really do go all out.

On the walk to downtown.

AD78A681-3D25-4A46-8487-8319EC8EE5C9.thumb.jpeg.8822a83f3a438f7ca17885b00ab7a71e.jpeg

A fountain at the waterfront park.  This pic looks toward the seaport village.

4803DB7C-FF74-4D60-A7D7-7AD5DC777DC7.thumb.jpeg.e0ed1c49bfbddad29a616ecf761ecb14.jpeg

Seagull photo bomb.

6EE5B96B-3F25-462B-9739-8B73EAC0F849.thumb.jpeg.69fb9ee3720bf486254dc0d0e4386b79.jpeg

Heading back to the village.

FDCA8554-82BC-478A-855C-E77A87A12270.thumb.jpeg.60be3fab3b164da77a530076f429d142.jpeg

B7534EE1-574F-4BEE-8473-65C7583FEBDD.thumb.jpeg.821266e752ca7911a9782a7da7c92f18.jpeg

This pic shows the NS stacks at the top left to give you a sense of how close the village is to the port.

FEA04BDA-ABE7-4325-8FD6-EC82E37187D9.thumb.jpeg.1e17ce6d4907d899844e12dab4d1abf6.jpeg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Oh, now I remember him!  (I am a visual learner lol) Yes, good voices.  Just a little lacking in energy.  I probably caught them on an off night.  It happens.

Must have been an off night.  They had so much energy when we were on that I often wondered how they could go on.  You said that one band member was missing?  I would not be surprised that the band caught the dreadful cold virus that was all over the ship!

The last group of photos are gorgeous!  Very charming looking village.  Wish we had stopped there on our cruise. 

Thanks for sharing your review and welcome home!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

They had so much energy when we were on that I often wondered how they could go on. 

I agree!  Whenever I see a live show or a band, I am always amazed by how well they do in keeping it fresh.  But I am realistic enough to know that sometimes that’s impossible so you do the best that you can.  I enjoyed what they were able to put out and it didn’t ruin the cruise for me.  🤭

I will be working on the rest of the report soon!

• Like 2