Live - May 24, 2023 Celebrity Infinity 10-night France, Italy & Greece (Covid)

patty1955

I hadn't planned on posting live on this cruise but when my husband was diagnosed with covid and I couldn't find any information I thought it might be a good idea.
Eric thought he had a sinus infection while we were in Barcelona but it never occurred to us that it might be something serious. Yesterday he didn't feel well enough to go into Marseille and today he knew it wasn't something minor. The medical center confirmed it is covid. They gave him a pile of medicines and sent him back to our cabin for a 5 day quarantine. The doctor said he will notify room service that he shouldn't be charged for room service. And that's it. No word on what we do about our excursions, our drink packages or what do we do for five days with this incredibly slow internet.
Does the free room service include me or is it just for him? 
We're grateful to the medical service and medicines were free, but more information would be helpful.  
It's still early, he was just diagnosed a couple of hours ago so there may be more information coming. If so all update this and let everyone know

• Thanks 2

Our second day in quarantine and it's already getting a little old. I'm not diagnosed with covid but I don't feel 100% either. It's probably all in my head. I don't have anything concrete. I just don't really feel well so I'm self-isolating. They're really good about getting us the food from the room service. Although the room service food is iffy at best and you don't always get what you ask for This morning we requested bagel, smoke, salmon, tomato juice, eggs Benedict and orange juice. We did not get any tomato juice and the smoked salmon came with a very, very dry English muffin. The Internet is horrible. It is slow. It is unreliable. We can't watch a movie or a TV show right now. We have no TV to watch other than sports. We were watching the movie Big last night and it kept freezing and then would jump a half an hour. So luckily we've seen it before. Wasn't that big of a disappointment to miss it. It's just very hard to entertain yourself when you don't really have anything.
Everybody's been very nice. They have no problem bringing us alcohol off the room service menu. They can't wait to get out of the room when they bring stuff but I don't blame them for that.

Soo sorry this has happened to y’all.

Hope he recovers completely and that you remind well. 

Did you consider moving cabins or was that not an option?

Curious is the cabin being cleaned? 

8 minutes ago, dock said:

Soo sorry this has happened to y’all.

Hope he recovers completely and that you remind well. 

Did you consider moving cabins or was that not an option?

Curious is the cabin being cleaned? 

They didn't offer to move cabins but I wouldn't leave him alone. They are  not cleaning the cabin. They come by twice a day to see what we might need.

I’m so sorry your DH is ill. Fingers crossed that he feels better very soon, and you remain virus free. It’s a pity the Wi-Fi is so poor. Others have posted that they were able to order off the regular menus for delivery by room service. Were you offered this option? I hope you have a veranda.

I assume you’ve already tried calling Medical and Guest Services with your questions. I had hoped the ships would have a quarantine process by now. A process should include clear instructions for those being quarantined, along with instructions for their travel companion(s). I hope you receive answers today!

Edited by Silkroad

If they have a procedure we haven't been apprised of that. We were told that we could order dinner from room service and they don't have a problem with both of us doing that. I'm still fighting to try to get a refund for the excursions that we can't take and they are very slow processing them that it will happen I'm sure.

Guest 4-2-N-8
25 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

If they have a procedure we haven't been apprised of that. We were told that we could order dinner from room service and they don't have a problem with both of us doing that. I'm still fighting to try to get a refund for the excursions that we can't take and they are very slow processing them that it will happen I'm sure.

Never like reading of any illness on a sailing.

What ship and room (or deck and room type) are you in? Fresh air is always good.

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, patty1955 said:

We're on the infinity cabin 7177

Got it. Departed from Barcelona?

How many days did you spend in Barcelona before boarding ship?

That's a terrible outcome all the same.

5 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Got it. Departed from Barcelona?

How many days did you spend in Barcelona before boarding ship?

That's a terrible outcome all the same.

We spent three days in Barcelona and that's undoubtedly where he caught covid

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, patty1955 said:

We spent three days in Barcelona and that's undoubtedly where he caught covid

Good luck to you both.

So sorry to hear about your quarantine.  If you are interested, we would think that Guest Services could at least provide you with a deck of cards to help you pass the time.  Hope you will both be out and about soon.

Mike and Mary

2 minutes ago, MikeMary4449 said:

So sorry to hear about your quarantine.  If you are interested, we would think that Guest Services could at least provide you with a deck of cards to help you pass the time.  Hope you will both be out and about soon.

Mike and Mary

That's not a bad idea. Thank you

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’re back home, recovered from covid and have a stable internet, so I’m here to give an update.

The customer service onboard Celebrity is still as good as ever. We were treated better than I expected but it was still a miserable experience.

We were on the Infinity, which is in serious need of an upgrade. Old television and internet make being confined to your room extremely tedious. Once we were out of quarantine, I realized the internet was better just about anywhere except the cabin. We were lucky to be able to read email in our cabin, let alone surf the internet. Even Celebrity's app was hit or miss. TV reception was horrible! We were in the Mediterranean, not the mid-Atlantic so it was very disappointing. In Civitavecchia, we couldn’t even watch a movie.

Room service was horrible. It’s always been a crap shoot but this was much worse. They were fast but the food was often cold and what we got and didn’t get was random. Silverware, butter and even the entrée was missing. It didn’t help that the quality of Celebrity’s food has gone downhill.

After quarantine, they gifted us with dinner in Tuscan Grill and refunded my husband’s cruise faire for the time he was quarantined. Eric has COPD so when he got sick, he went to the medical center. I didn’t feel sick enough to do the same otherwise I would have had a refund as well.

I became dehydrated and had an issue on our first excursion after quarantine. We didn’t tell them but the tour guide must have reported it because I got a call later from the excursion desk and they refunded our money.

All in all, a wasted cruise. It was not Celebrity’s fault but it would be nice if they would provide better entertainment options for people in that situation (a wifi extender, DVD player, etc). I read 3 of the Dexter books and 3 Patricia Fisher mystery books.

Sorry to hear about this experience.

My husband and I were in Spain on a land trip in November, and also got COVID in Barcelona 

We started feeling Ill on day 5 of a 16 day holiday. It ended up being a total waste of a holiday

It also lingered on when we returned home. I had a cough that I could not shake for over 7 weeks

Be careful when travelling to Barcelona everyone