Cancellation near sailing date questions

moonjelly

Well, here's a cheery topic, sorry about that!

However, I anticipate that I may have to cancel my cruise, but won't know for sure until near sailing date.

I know it would involve 100% forfeiture of cruise fare, but would I get my port taxes and fees refunded? Is there an additional penalty of $100 for the cancellation?

The other person in my cabin would still go.

If I don't get a refund of the port taxes and fees, should I just no-show to avoid a $100 fee, if there is one?

I am comparing the policies of the various lines to see if one has a better policy than the others between Princess, NCL, Holland America, and RCI.

Thank you for any help you can provide.It is advice I need, but hope I won't have to use!

15 minutes ago, moonjelly said:

Well, here's a cheery topic, sorry about that!

However, I anticipate that I may have to cancel my cruise, but won't know for sure until near sailing date.

I know it would involve 100% forfeiture of cruise fare, but would I get my port taxes and fees refunded? Is there an additional penalty of $100 for the cancellation?

The other person in my cabin would still go.

If I don't get a refund of the port taxes and fees, should I just no-show to avoid a $100 fee, if there is one?

I am comparing the policies of the various lines to see if one has a better policy than the others between Princess, NCL, Holland America, and RCI.

Thank you for any help you can provide.It is advice I need, but hope I won't have to use!

Are you saying you have not yet booked Greg cruise but are already thinking about canceling ?  If you have already booked did you get insurance ?

Some more information is needed.

Are you pre-planning and asking what if questions?

Will you purchase insurance?

Here is one possible scenario:  Have your friend book the cruise as a single.  Add your name at the last minute.  Friend would have to pay solo fare until you add your name.  

Are you trying to help your friend out so that they do not need to book as a solo?  Be sure to read "cancel for any reason" policy.

Yeah your post is a little confusing. If you have not yet booked but want to protect yourself in the event of  a last minute cancellation, be sure to purchase insurance, probably with CFAR (cancel for any reason) coverage.  Insurance is a good idea anyway (a necessity imho) but I dont always get CFAR. I figure if cancelling last minute it will likely be for an already covered reason. But CFAR gives you more flexibility. Read the insurance coverage closely as policies differ. 

Hi All,

thank you for your input.

My future mother in law has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and has always wanted to go on an Alaska cruise. For that reason, we do not want to wait till next year. We have to take this shot, but my work is VERY busy this summer. It will be her and her husband in one cabin, and their son and me in the other. Since yesterday, we have decided it will be on Princess.

I am relatively sure I won't have to cancel. However, my job could require it (I'd say 5% chance) if things got crazy and I wouldn't know until close to sailing.

I booked this morning and the Princess Agent quoted a $100 change fee. I asked her if this was for name changes, sailing date changes, she said yes. In the past, this was all that was charged, or a name change was even free. Now as I read the policies, I question whether it is a $100 change fee AND a 100% loss of cruise fare. I am thinking that port charges and fees would be refunded, but I am not positive about that.

So I am asking the experts about your experiences with this issue on Princess. On NCL I have heard of them waiving a name change fee (plus not considering it a cancellation), but I wonder how Princess is handling it in real life.

I may purchase insurance, but it is not a very expensive cruise. If I knew I would get my port taxes and fees back, it might not be worth purchasing the insurance. Also, knowing if I would be charged a $100 fee to have them take all the cruise fare back would factor in to my decision.

So my questions are:

Would I get my port taxes and fees refunded if I cancelled late notice?

Is there an additional penalty of $100 for the cancellation on top of 100% loss of cruise fare?

Has anyone had experience with a name change such that my cabin mate could replace me at the last minute without it being considered a cancellation (having the penalties waived, as I have experienced and heard of over the years)?

Thank you for any insights you can provide about how this has worked for you.

I like to consider all the factors before making a decision.:)

Port fees and taxes are refunded if you cancel.

Insurance is a % cost of the cruise - so even if it is not expensive, it maybe worth it because with Princess insurance, you get Future Cruise Credit if you cancel for not a valid reason (employer). You have to buy Princess insurance by final payment - not sure when your final payment is but I hope it wasn't this morning when you booked the cruise.

I have no idea the $100 change fee. It could be to change the name. I doubt it would be to change the date. With a name change - you can just change the person on the booking (one person on booking must stay). This doesn't apply to air.

Did you just hold the cruise or did you actually pay for it entirely?

Edited by Coral

Hi Coral,

thank you.

I put a hold on it through tomorrow and am sorting everything out in the meantime.

Yes the Princess agent's comment about a $100 fee for name change or sailing date change was strange to me. That's one of the reasons I want to clarify what this fee is.

1 minute ago, moonjelly said:

Hi Coral,

thank you.

I put a hold on it through tomorrow and am sorting everything out in the meantime.

Yes the Princess agent's comment about a $100 fee for name change or sailing date change was strange to me. That's one of the reasons I want to clarify what this fee is.

Was it a $100 non refundable deposit?

To my knowledge Princess does not, and never has had, a ‘name/date change’ fee.  However, any changes or cancellations post final payment deadline incur penalties against the cruise fare, any pre/post hotel/land packages, or air booked through Princess 

Changing from double to single occupancy is subject to cancellation penalties being applied to guest 2 and guest 1 being re-fared at the prevailing single rate as of time of cancellation of guest 2, which could result in additional cruise fare being owed for guest 1. Taxes are always refundable.  

This is for North American consumers booking through US/Canadian agencies/Princess.  The rules for international customers vary based on the sales office their booking is tied to (UK, EU, AU/NZ, etc.)

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Name change used to be $50 a very long time ago.  If summer is iffy...what about a late season cruise (September)?  Will you have to fly?  

Insurance is generally about 8%.  There is regular (75%) or Platinum (100%) refundable/FCC.  Do NOT book with a non-refundable deposit if there is even the remote chance of cancelling.  

I have had cabin mates cancel on me.  No insurance...I had to eat the difference.  Insurance...I continued cruise with no additional charges (insurance refunded to cabin mate AND absorbed my single supplement).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

To my knowledge Princess does not, and never has had, a ‘name/date change’ fee.  However, any changes or cancellations post final payment deadline incur penalties against the cruise fare, any pre/post hotel/land packages, or air booked through Princess 

After final payment - in North America, Princess has always had a name change fee (well at least the 25 years I have been sailing) if one person changes on the booking in a double. I don't know if it is was $50 or now is currently $100 but there has been a fee.

Edited by Coral