Princess formal nights dress standard

29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not sure if this has been corrected now. You used to be able to order laundry powder to your cabin via the app N/C, but $2 or $3 via the dispenser in the laundry.

That cost for the powder is per wash load, that is very expensive, definitely take your own powder.

I could be wrong but I don't believe your allowed to use liquid washing detergent in their washers?

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

That cost for the powder is per wash load, that is very expensive, definitely take your own powder.

I could be wrong but I don't believe your allowed to use liquid washing detergent in their washers?

I've never heard of that restriction. I always used Omo capsules. Easy to pack and they did the job. Now we're Elite we just send it to the ship's laundry but I still take a few Omo capsules, plus some hand wash liquid, in case I need to wash something too delicate to send to the laundry.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've never heard of that restriction. I always used Omo capsules. Easy to pack and they did the job. Now we're Elite we just send it to the ship's laundry but I still take a few Omo capsules, plus some hand wash liquid, in case I need to wash something too delicate to send to the laundry.

yeah I'm not sure about it, someone told me some time back, that the detergent slots aren't designed for liquid soaps. But I am just a mere male, and very ginger around washing machines.

I have stood heads down in shame as my DW berated me about colours and whites.🥺

But on cruises before Elite I was the designated laundry bod, and did exactly what I was told.😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

It is, but when we have washed on a cruise it has only ever been 1 or 2 loads and hardly enough to break the budget.

45 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It is, but when we have washed on a cruise it has only ever been 1 or 2 loads and hardly enough to break the budget.

I was thinking in line with longer cruises, and begrudging being ripped off.

On the shorter cruises week to two weeks I just take enough clothes to last, I'm on a holiday, bugger having to do washing.🤣

• Like 3

Dress standards are long gone.  Jus5 wear what you feel comfortable with.  No staff will challenge you, too concerned about rating on survey.  I personally still like to make an effort, but that’s my choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jean C said:

Sorry, another question - do you know the current costs for using washing machine and then dryer? Also, are costs charged to cruise folio, or will they need coins? Thanks 😊

Don't know if it is the same on all ships but I was recently on Pacific Adventure and wanted to do a load of washing. In the laundry there was a box on the wall that was supposed to dispense powder sachets I think but it looked non functional. probably it should be removed.

I went down to the reception desk and asked and was handed 2 metal tokens and 2 sachets of washing powder. It was scanned to my onboard account. The tokens work with either the washing machine or dryer.

I am not 100% sure of the cost. I think the tokens are $2 or $2.50 each. I was charged about $5 in total so he may have given me the powder for free, I don't know.

My advice with the powder would be if you can, dissolve it before you add it to the machine as some of it went clumpy and stuck to some clothes. I used both sachets in the one load though, maybe it was too much.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 8:53 AM, Jean C said:

Hi guys, I'll be travelling later this year with my sons-in-law and families. For formal nights I've told the sons-in-law that they'll be fine with a long sleeved shirt and tie as they don't own suits. One SIL for dressing up wears smart dark jeans and a smart dark shirt - would he be allowed into main dining room with jeans on formal night? Thanks 🛳 🥳 🐧 

Judging by our 20 days on the Grand you can basically wear anything but your togs into the dining room formal or not. Maybe not shorts on the formal night. But it was pretty relaxed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for the good info. Interesting about liquid detergent - my daughter says she doesn't like using powder and was planning to bring liquid. I hand wash all my cruise clothes in the cabin using either or, or a mix of, the supplied body wash and shampoo/conditioner - it works a treat. My grandson informed his mum that he wants his clothes washed "properly" (ie machine washed) - I might need to knock some sense into the two of them! Daughter has 4 kids so she'll need to do a couple of laundry loads.  Thanks everyone 😊

8 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

How old is the grandson?

If he wants clothes machine washed,he could volunteer to be designated laundry person. 

Can he fight if laundry rage erupts, lol.🤼‍♀️

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

How old is the grandson?

If he wants clothes machine washed,he could volunteer to be designated laundry person. 

He's 11 - yes, I thought the same but held my tongue as I don't want to cement myself as the grumpy grandma 👵 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kristelle said:

How old is the grandson?

Or the designated runner - back & forth to the buffet for laundry cocktail snacks.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Judging by our 20 days on the Grand you can basically wear anything but your togs into the dining room formal or not. Maybe not shorts on the formal night. But it was pretty relaxed.

This is good news. Not having cruised since the infamous Ruby Princess 'covid' cruise of March 2020, it's good to hear about the relaxed formal night attire. Hubby will be delighted to know that he won't need a new dinner suit 😉.

Edited by Kinkacruiser
error

2 hours ago, Kinkacruiser said:

This is good news. Not having cruised since the infamous Ruby Princess 'covid' cruise of March 2020, it's good to hear about the relaxed formal night attire. Hubby will be delighted to know that he won't need a new dinner suit 😉.

My partner had brought a new suit for the cruise but he was delighted he only had to wear it once when we went to the speciality restaurant 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

My partner had brought a new suit for the cruise but he was delighted he only had to wear it once when we went to the speciality restaurant 😄 

Rolf is the opposite. After cruising recommenced last year he bought a new dinner jacket - I knew I shouldn't have let him near the South Wharf outlet centre when we were stuck in Melbourne that time. 🤣

He's looking forward to doing a Cunard cruise in January. Hopefully he won't want to pack too many suits. Now he's been retired for several years he enjoys wearing a suit and one of his fancy ties occasionally.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2023 at 4:58 PM, arxcards said:

Or the designated runner - back & forth to the buffet for laundry cocktail snacks.

I read that as just cocktails. 😀 I was thinking how can an eleven year old buy and bring back cocktails. I then re read it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I read that as just cocktails. 😀 I was thinking how can an eleven year old buy and bring back cocktails. I then re read it. 

Princess - there is medallion for the cocktails 😂

On 5/28/2023 at 1:28 PM, Jean C said:

Sorry, another question - do you know the current costs for using washing machine and then dryer? Also, are costs charged to cruise folio, or will they need coins? Thanks 😊

We were on the Coral in February and it was $4 per washer (2 tokens), $4 per dryer (2 tokens) and $2 for washing powder (1 token). There is a token dispenser in each laundry - you simply choose how many tokens you want, tap your medallion and the cost is charged to your account. 😊

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 12:44 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Rolf is the opposite. After cruising recommenced last year he bought a new dinner jacket - I knew I shouldn't have let him near the South Wharf outlet centre when we were stuck in Melbourne that time. 🤣

He's looking forward to doing a Cunard cruise in January. Hopefully he won't want to pack too many suits. Now he's been retired for several years he enjoys wearing a suit and one of his fancy ties occasionally.

I find men who don't have to dress for work, love to dress up on cruises.  Whilst men who have to dress for work, with long sleeves and ties (in Queensland summer), love to dress casually on cruises. Now luggage limits are less on overseas flights, and passengers are flying with hand luggage to avoid luggage going missing.  We used to fly with eight medium large suitcases (4x2), which we would fill with purchases - those were the days!  Our luggage never went missing!!

That's an interesting observation about men and dressing up.

My DH doesn't fit your theory though he is not a ' dressing up person' , and at work he wears a tradie type hi vis uniform,not business attire. 

Edited by Kristelle

8 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

That's an interesting observation about men and dressing up.

My DH doesn't fit your theory though he is not a ' dressing up person' , and at work he wears a tradie type hi vis uniform,not business attire.

My husband also doesn't fit the observation but for the opposite reason. In his working life he always had to wear a long-sleeved shirt/tie with a suitcoat on occasions. On cruises, he wears a dinner suit on formal night.

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My husband also doesn't fit the observation but for the opposite reason. In his working life he always had to wear a long-sleeved shirt/tie with a suitcoat on occasions. On cruises, he wears a dinner suit on formal night.

Rolf enjoyed wearing formal wear even when he was working and wearing suits every day. And he was very fussy about what suits and ties he bought.