Arvia Pre-Booking Dining and Entertainment

bee-ess

15 minutes ago, Happy afloat said:

I agree about Iona, it's a bit like an airport departure lounge. Not conducive to a pleasant dining experience, IMHO. Also, when we were on board in november, it was pretty much a tapas style restaurant, possibly due Jose Pizarro being on board.

Does Ventura not have an area that is partially segregated? 

Thats the same menu it always has, different from the menu on Asura and Ventura as it does not ave the full meals, steak etc. Having said that the food was excellent. You could get 3 beef dishes or pork ones or chicken and I think vegetarian as well as a good mix of tapas. I suspect the other dishes were missing as you could get them at the Keel and Cow.

• Like 1

Guest ccpm
1 hour ago, Happy afloat said:

I agree about Iona, it's a bit like an airport departure lounge. Not conducive to a pleasant dining experience, IMHO. Also, when we were on board in november, it was pretty much a tapas style restaurant, possibly due Jose Pizarro being on board.

Does Ventura not have an area that is partially segregated? 

Yes it does have 2 of those but the centre where the old sofas and chairs from the original bar are all on the walkway. I also found on Ventura that the dining area(s) are not open to sit in usually, there is now a podium advising you of that at the entrance. Then on another day they had another area round the corner cut off - as well as where they do the wine talks. I was however just so glad it was fully open again.

Guest ccpm
45 minutes ago, daiB said:

Thats the same menu it always has, different from the menu on Asura and Ventura as it does not ave the full meals, steak etc. Having said that the food was excellent. You could get 3 beef dishes or pork ones or chicken and I think vegetarian as well as a good mix of tapas. I suspect the other dishes were missing as you could get them at the Keel and Cow.

I found the Iona menu not as much to my taste as Ventura etc but tasty all the same. You are 100% correct the Keel and Cow have taken the rest of the Glasshouse menu or most of it with an eye watering additional charge. Surf and Turf Glasshouse Ventura 3 weeks ago £8.50, Iona - £15.50+ 

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Not at all. You can pop in for a drink Selbourne from 11am but you may not like it. On Iona, I have not been on Arvia, it is very open, the seats are, in my opinion not too comfy, lots of banquettes. Plus it is a walkway but that is the same on Ventura from which I have recently returned. It is entirely opn to the Atrium both a plus and a minus - good people watching but can get noisy.  

1 hour ago, Happy afloat said:

I think this must depend on the ship. Recently on Aurora, no pre-booking was required for the Glass House and yes, you can just pop in for a drink. One of our favourite places on Aurora. The wife is very fond of the wine flights!

Food was very good, as was the service. 

Thanks. I agree that the Glasshouse on Aurora is lovely, in a nice quiet area with little passing footfall. I’ve just remembered that we didn’t like it on Britannia, for the reasons that you’ve mentioned, so might give it a miss on Britannia and Iona. That presents me with a dilemma though. The Glasshouse is usually the only place that has Peller Ice Cuvée 🤔

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. I agree that the Glasshouse on Aurora is lovely, in a nice quiet area with little passing footfall. I’ve just remembered that we didn’t like it on Britannia, for the reasons that you’ve mentioned, so might give it a miss on Britannia and Iona. That presents me with a dilemma though. The Glasshouse is usually the only place that has Peller Ice Cuvée 🤔

We found the glasshouse on Aurora to be cold and not good if in a scooter as most of the tables are up 2 steps. Ionas glasshouse is not all in a walkway. you get a fantastic view out to sea. I like it as a bar as well and it does haqve some nooks and cranniies in the bar area.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I have never had a Peller Ice Cuvee,,,,, but after everyone’s recommendations on here, I will be heading straight to the Glasshouse on Aurora in a few weeks time to try it 🍾

• Like 2

Guest ccpm
1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Yes it is now not like in the past when you could order in Epicurean.

I too have just returned from Arvia and the only slots for the 710 Club that were available to book, on the odd occasion, was the very late show which started after midnight.

Also a lot of the MDR virtual queues often showed up as "queue full"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It doesn't work now because people are still queuing before the theatre doors are opened, if your booking allocated you a firm seat number, then there would be no need for queueing, and the limited accessible seating could then be specific for wheelchair dependant carers.

I agree something specific for accessible seats 100 per cent. And perhaps a staff member  dedicated to helping and monitoring the accessible seats for those that really need them. I really sympathise with this issue

For others they actually don't need to queue at all. Unless they really want a specific seat or area. And  if so let them happily carry on with their queuing. After all it's their choice even though I personally think they are  bonkers. But they aren't harming anyone. And perhaps they actually like being sat in the theatre extra early chatting away etc.  It would cause loads of extra messing about for the vast majority in the venue that don't need anything to change if all of a sudden we had to get there early in order to hunt for and  find our seats. 

And there would be so many mix ups it's untrue

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

They had a "sale" on handbags last week, 20% off.  They were priced £50 with stickers each the day before, on the day of the sale they had no price tags.  I watched a lady buy one - £57 then minus the 20% rang up. She remonstrated as to the sales person's embarrassment the bag she was buying had the original £50 sticker accidentally left on.  Fascinating to watch as the wriggling began to say the bags had gone up in price.  The lady got her bag for £50 minus 20% though .

Nothing surprises me in these shops

I don't trust or like the art gallery sales either 

I know the trade/cost price of many of those frames and the art gallery makes an absolute fortune on anything they sell and seriously hypes up the artists they promote. Those pieces aren't an actual investment - just a very high retail price 

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I agree something specific for accessible seats 100 per cent. And perhaps a staff member  dedicated to helping and monitoring the accessible seats for those that really need them. I really sympathise with this issue

For others they actually don't need to queue at all. Unless they really want a specific seat or area. And  if so let them happily carry on with their queuing. After all it's their choice even though I personally think they are  bonkers. But they aren't harming anyone. And perhaps they actually like being sat in the theatre extra early chatting away etc.  It would cause loads of extra messing about for the vast majority in the venue that don't need anything to change if all of a sudden we had to get there early in order to hunt for and  find our seats. 

And there would be so many mix ups it's untrue

As a matter of interest ICF how do you think the staff are going to handle and check 900 people in if everyone arrived 5 minutes before a show?  If everyone did as you suggest and get there just a few minutes before show start would there be a different problem? 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Nothing surprises me in these shops

I don't trust or like the art gallery sales either 

I know the trade/cost price of many of those frames and the art gallery makes an absolute fortune on anything they sell and seriously hypes up the artists they promote. Those pieces aren't an actual investment - just a very high retail price 

I remember the Rolf Harris push for sales on almost all the ships in 2013 ... those certainly weren't a good investment a short time later.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As a matter of interest ICF how do you think the staff are going to handle and check 900 people in if everyone arrived 5 minutes before a show?  If everyone did as you suggest and get there just a few minutes before show start would there be a different problem? 

That crossed my mind too! 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I have thought about that and have no idea!!

Lol

But I think  we are a couple of decades away from the habit of getting to the theatre early on a cruise for many to fade away

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Lol

But I think  we are a couple of decades away from the habit of getting to the theatre early on a cruise for many to fade away

Why does it bother you so much? You like a cocktail, I like to sit in the theatre with my Kindle or chatting to people around me. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Lol

Basically doors open 30 minutes before the show.  Some people form a queue in the run up to that time as they are keen to get a seat. The remainder start joining the queue around ten minutes after doors open.  P&O staff have to check on their tablets every booking, it takes time.  If those early arrivals hadn't gone in when you arrive 6 or 7 minutes before curtain up, you'd be outside in the queue. I guess those bonkers people actually need to continue their queues and early arrival to facilitate your late one.  Perhaps you should be thanking them.

• Like 6

I'm an impatient person. Always want to be doing something.

Just waiting for a show to start for 10 minutes I find boring. 

I can't comprehend queuing to enter a theatre that's not open and then wanting to be sat in and theatre with nothing happening for 30 minutes as being something to choose to do when you don't have to do it

But I accept it helps spread the time people enter the theatre - so long may it continue 

Do people take knitting in with them?

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Only for the guiĺottine scene in The Hunchback of Notre Dam.

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

can't comprehend queuing to enter a theatre that's not open and then wanting to be sat in and theatre with nothing happening for 30 minutes as being something to choose to do when you don't have to do it

But as we just discussed others making that choice are the very reason you don't have to do it, if they all decided I can just breeze in 5 minutes from curtain up you'd be in an even longer queue. As I say, you can't have it both ways.

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I'm an impatient person. Always want to be doing something.

Just waiting for a show to start for 10 minutes I find boring. 

I can't comprehend queuing to enter a theatre that's not open and then wanting to be sat in and theatre with nothing happening for 30 minutes as being something to choose to do when you don't have to do it

But I accept it helps spread the time people enter the theatre - so long may it continue 

It’s called chilling and it’s highly recommended! I don’t want to be entertained every minute and don’t need to be entertained every minute. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

It’s called chilling and it’s highly recommended! I don’t want to be entertained every minute and don’t need to be entertained every minute. 

We always plan time to chill late afternoon either on a sunbed or with a mini siesta if weather Is poor before we go out for the evening

So we go into the evenings already chilled and ready to make the most of everything you can see or do on  the ship in the evenings

Too many other places we would rather be where we are entertained and or chilling in a different way. We struggle to visit and see everything we would want to do on the ship as It is

Chilling listening to a pianist or admiring a great view or enjoying a cocktail - way preferable to sitting in a theatre with nothing happening to us. Or we are enjoying a great meal (hopefully) all the way up to the time of the show

Don't you sit down and chill and chat enough in a restaurant or bar before and/or after the theatre ?

710 club is super chilled?

Served  restaurant dining super chilled?

Any of the cocktail bars super chilled?

Listening to any of the pianists supper chilled?

Theatre with nothing happening wouldnt honestly make my list of  places to  want to sit and chill

Sitting in the theatre with nothing happening is just like queuing but  being sat down IMO

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

16 hours ago, daiB said:

We found the glasshouse on Aurora to be cold and not good if in a scooter as most of the tables are up 2 steps. Ionas glasshouse is not all in a walkway. you get a fantastic view out to sea. I like it as a bar as well and it does haqve some nooks and cranniies in the bar area.

Ok. We will check it out and maybe try it on a port day when most people are ashore. Same approach with Keel & Cow. We didn’t like the Glasshouse on Britannia as it was too open, used as a general seating area and difficult to get served. Presumed it would be the same on Iona and Arvia due to the same position adjacent to the atrium. 

As for the Glasshouse on Aurora, if you go past the raised area there are plenty of tables that have level access. They are all along the side where the windows are, although the only ‘view’ is the side of the lifeboats 😂 

50 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We always plan time to chill late afternoon either on a sunbed or with a mini siesta if weather Is poor before we go out for the evening

So we go into the evenings already chilled and ready to make the most of everything you can see or do on  the ship in the evenings

Too many other places we would rather be where we are entertained and or chilling in a different way. We struggle to visit and see everything we would want to do on the ship as It is

Chilling listening to a pianist or admiring a great view or enjoying a cocktail - way preferable to sitting in a theatre with nothing happening to us. Or we are enjoying a great meal (hopefully) all the way up to the time of the show

Don't you sit down and chill and chat enough in a restaurant or bar before and/or after the theatre ?

710 club is super chilled?

Served  restaurant dining super chilled?

Any of the cocktail bars super chilled?

Listening to any of the pianists supper chilled?

Theatre with nothing happening wouldnt honestly make my list of  places to  want to sit and chill

Sitting in the theatre with nothing happening is just like queuing but  being sat down IMO

In answer to your four questions:

No, no, no and no.

As you seem to love to leap into every topic and tell everyone else they're doing it wrong I think we are all fully aware of your hyperactivity issues now ICF!!  

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

In answer to your four questions:

No, no, no and no.

As you seem to love to leap into every topic and tell everyone else they're doing it wrong I think we are all fully aware of your hyperactivity issues now ICF!!  

I have found the block button useful. 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 9