Oia on your Own (or similar)

suprgrlx

Has anyone done this excursion (or similar) where you go through the new port (ETA I supposed I shouldn't assume the port, the excursion says 'Travel by tender boat to Santorini’s shore then enjoy a scenic 45-minute motor coach drive to the small town of Oia") and then on the bus?  I've read some reviews saying there's a walk up a hill, and then a lot don't mention that.  I have some mobility issues (though not a wheelchair, so some steps are okay) and am not sure what this entails.  I also hadn't realized until after that the excursion itself says "Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account."  I think that I thought, when I booked it, that they were talking about walking around the village, but now I'm wondering if they mean the actual transfer to the village.

1 hour ago, suprgrlx said:

Has anyone done this excursion (or similar) where you go through the new port (ETA I supposed I shouldn't assume the port, the excursion says 'Travel by tender boat to Santorini’s shore then enjoy a scenic 45-minute motor coach drive to the small town of Oia") and then on the bus?  I've read some reviews saying there's a walk up a hill, and then a lot don't mention that.  I have some mobility issues (though not a wheelchair, so some steps are okay) and am not sure what this entails.  I also hadn't realized until after that the excursion itself says "Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account."  I think that I thought, when I booked it, that they were talking about walking around the village, but now I'm wondering if they mean the actual transfer to the village.

Haven't done the excursion (or any excursion on Santorini) but know the island and Oia...well.  The excursion description does sound accurate and may not be very suitable for those with major mobility issues.  The bus parking area lies somewhat below Oia, so once off the bus you will need to walk uphill just to get to the town.  Once you reach the town, it is all walking and the surfaces do involve some up/down, possible steps, slopes, etc.  There is simply no other way to see or enjoy Oia as, like Fira, it is all about walking.  It is possible to use electric scooters or wheelchairs, but on a crowded day that can prove to be a real challenge.

Only you can assess your own ability to handle this kind of thing.  If it is an "on your own" tour (no purpose of having a guide in Oia) than you would have the opportunity to go at your own pace.  But you would certainly need your energy and be motivated to handle the slopes and some steps.

Hank

• Thanks 1

My understanding from research I have done on here is that if you book the excursion through the ship, the tender boats take you to a different dock, where tour busses are waiting (so no walking up the hill or waiting for the cable car).  If you don't book a ship excursion, the tenders take you to the main dock where you can transfer (by foot) to the cable car or alternatively take the donkey ride or walk up the hill to Fira where there is a bus station, taxis etc.

The "on your own tour" drops you in Oia where you can walk around as much or as little as you wish for the period of time you are there.  I do not know if the tour bus returns you to the same dock upon return - there seems to be differing experiences on that.  I suppose you could try to call your cruise line to check that, although often the agents on the phone don't have that level of detail.

The notice you quote above seems like a pretty standard warning about the uneven streets, cobblestones etc found in most European cities and towns.  And I am sure there would be hills, just given the terrain.  Might be worth seeing if you can find a YouTube video showing Oia to see whether you think you'll be able to manage it.  Good luck in your research!

• Like 1

I have a cruise excursion booked for Santorini.  This is the verbiage from the cruise company website.  From the term "drive to Oia" I am assuming we are picked up at Athinios port, bussed to Oia, we walk around Oia then bussed to Thira.  Getting down to the "old port" is on us.  Good luck on your excursion!

As you come ashore to the port of Athinios you will be captivated by the hues of deep blue in the sea and by the vista of the graphic island of Santorini ahead. Enjoy a scenic ascent via the colorful rocky sides of the caldera, affording a spectacular panorama of the island.

Drive to Oia, passing by many traditional villages, the crowning glory of peace and tranquility. Built on the northern part of the caldera rim, it is here where many artists have been inspired due to its magnificent location. Walk through the village along cobblestoned streets marveling at the wonderful panoramic views and admiring the traditional architecture. Enjoy some free time on your own, and browse in tiny shops selling ceramics, paintings, and jewelry.

The tour ends at Fira, the picturesque capital of Santorini perched on the volcano's caldera. Here you will have the option to either stay in town for further exploration or climb Fira’s narrow lanes to the cable car station and descend to the pier where water shuttles will take you back to the ship.

• Like 1

I've been to Oia twice. First time -- took a "quick" boat to Oia (waited inside the boat more than 40 mins until the boat was full....), walked to the bus uphill, bus to Oia, where there was a short walk to the center. After 2-3 hours, back to the place where the bus to Fira was waiting, and on arrival at Fira, on my own. Waited almost 2 hours in line to go down with the cable car.

2nd time I was "clever". Booked the "Oia on your own" through the ship, priority tendering to Athinios port. It was quick and well organized.

I really don't remember if I had to go far to board the waiting bus to Oia. What I remember vividly is that the bus left us in a parking lot at least 10 mins walk to the center of Oia. We were given 2.5 hours to wander, and then walking back to the bus.

Same bus left us in Fira, and again, quite a walk to Fira "center" from the bus' parking lot.

Then you have to find your way to the cable car station.

We were given vouchers for the cable car, but we still had to wait in the long line....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I've been to Oia twice. First time -- took a "quick" boat to Oia (waited inside the boat more than 40 mins until the boat was full....), walked to the bus uphill, bus to Oia, where there was a short walk to the center. After 2-3 hours, back to the place where the bus to Fira was waiting, and on arrival at Fira, on my own. Waited almost 2 hours in line to go down with the cable car.

2nd time I was "clever". Booked the "Oia on your own" through the ship, priority tendering to Athinios port. It was quick and well organized.

I really don't remember if I had to go far to board the waiting bus to Oia. What I remember vividly is that the bus left us in a parking lot at least 10 mins walk to the center of Oia. We were given 2.5 hours to wander, and then walking back to the bus.

Same bus left us in Fira, and again, quite a walk to Fira "center" from the bus' parking lot.

We were given vouchers for the cable car, but we still had to wait in the long line....

We have booked this excursion with Royal Caribbean for Nov. perhaps I’m under the mistaken impression that this is a R/T bus transportation but we are given the option to get off in Fira to spend time there and take the cable car back down if we desire. If your’s was with Royal Caribbean, were you given the option on taking the bus back to the original drop off point?  If not, I might cancel this as I have no desire to use the cable car. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mom4mom said:

We have booked this excursion with Royal Caribbean for Nov. perhaps I’m under the mistaken impression that this is a R/T bus transportation but we are given the option to get off in Fira to spend time there and take the cable car back down if we desire. If your’s was with Royal Caribbean, were you given the option on taking the bus back to the original drop off point?  If not, I might cancel this as I have no desire to use the cable car. 

Unless the written description of the excursion specifically says it will return you, by bus, to the tender port location, I think you should assume it will NOT.  It is only in the last couple years that any cruise line has returned passengers to the tender dock by bus for SOME of their excursions.  In the past, all excursions included the cable car ticket and dropped you off up on Fira.  The majority still do.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mom4mom said:

I know in my cruise planner it says "A roundtrip coach drive lands you in Fira, Santorini’s capital city, where you can explore further or take a cable car ride back to Old Port." and  "Your tour includes motor coach transportation as well as a cable car ticket from Fira to Old Port."  I've definitely taken this to mean that you have no choice but to take the cable car from Fira.  And unfortunately, everything I've been googling seems to suggest the same.  Which is a shame, since I really don't want to use it either.

On 5/30/2023 at 1:10 PM, Hlitner said:

Haven't done the excursion (or any excursion on Santorini) but know the island and Oia...well.  The excursion description does sound accurate and may not be very suitable for those with major mobility issues.  The bus parking area lies somewhat below Oia, so once off the bus you will need to walk uphill just to get to the town.  Once you reach the town, it is all walking and the surfaces do involve some up/down, possible steps, slopes, etc. 

Is this the bus from Athinios or Ammoudi that parks below Oia?

8 minutes ago, suprgrlx said:

Is this the bus from Athinios or Ammoudi that parks below Oia?

We are talking about the island's public bus system vs chartered buses (used by all tours/excursions).  The regularly scheduled public bus (which leaves from the bus station located in Fira) drops folks at a convenient location adjacent to Oia.  But all the other buses, must drop their passengers in a nearby parking lot which is down slope and a bit further from the Oia.  And that includes the buses that are used as part of the private boat transfers from below Fira (where the normal tenders dock).   I should also mention that if you use a taxi, they can drop folks at the same area used by the public buses (close to the entrance of Oia).

The truth is that folks without mobility issues will have no problem with any of the buses or drop points.  The issue, I raised, is if you have major mobility problems, what is easy for some becomes very difficult for the mobility impaired.  Those with mobility issues might want to cross-post this topic on the "Disabled Cruise Travel" blog (under Special Interest Cruising here on CC).

DW and I have been blessed with the ability to walk long distances (we have done 10 miles days on a recent trip to Asia) despite being in our 70s.  The issue of "mobility impaired" covers a wide variety of abilities.  But we seniors (and others with limitations) need to be honest with themselves..or they will pay a price in misery.  The island of Santorini has two popular cities (Fira and Oia) and they both can only be explored on foot (or with the help of a device that can be maneuvered in crowded walkways with slopes.  The good news is that. for folks that have limited endurance, there are plenty of places where you can sit-down (be it in a cafe, on a wall, a bench, etc).

Hank

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mom4mom said:

We have booked this excursion with Royal Caribbean for Nov. perhaps I’m under the mistaken impression that this is a R/T bus transportation

It was always a ONE WAY bus transportation, though lately there have been some reports that SOME tours are R/T.

Personally, I'll double and triple check this issue.

I have to mention that if you're going in Nov., I doubt there will be long lines taking the cable car down.

• Like 1

I recently did the Oia on your Own excursion on NCL. It involved being tendered to the Athinios port in Santorini from which we took a coach up the mountain to Oia. I have some mobility issues and did find this tour a bit challenging. There was no trouble boarding the coach, which occurs in a flat parking lot in Athinios. However, the coach leaves you in a parking lot about a 10 minute walk outside the town of Oia and you have to go up an incline and some steep steps to get into town. The tour guide took us into town at a fast pace which I found difficult to manage on the stairs. Once in town there are a lot of inclines, steps and crooked cobblestones, but you are left on your own and can take your time and explore as much or as little as you want. Oia was packed with so many people that it was difficult to move at times, so it was definitely not as enjoyable as expected, even though the views are wonderful. After visiting Oia for about 90 minutes we had to return to the coach parking lot where they drove us to the town of Fira. We were given tram tickets and left by the guide on a street that was about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the place where you take the tram. The guide did not take us to the tram but gave us directions to find it ourselves. Again, the walk to the centre of Fira was uphill, with steps, inclines and uneven cobblestones. It was challenging for me. Then we had to wait in line for over an hour to take the tram down the mountain to the tender boats. I found the trip to Santorini to be not particularly enjoyable due to the crowds and exhaustion from all of the steps, inclines etc.

Edited by Jenora2012
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Jenora2012 said:

I recently did the Oia on your Own excursion on NCL. It involved being tendered to the Athinios port in Santorini from which we took a coach up the mountain to Oia. I have some mobility issues and did find this tour a bit challenging. There was no trouble boarding the coach, which occurs in a flat parking lot in Athinios. However, the coach leaves you in a parking lot about a 10 minute walk outside the town of Oia and you have to go up an incline and some steep steps to get into town. The tour guide took us into town at a fast pace which I found difficult to manage on the stairs. Once in town there are a lot of inclines, steps and crooked cobblestones, but you are left on your own and can take your time and explore as much or as little as you want. Oia was packed with so many people that it was difficult to move at times, so it was definitely not as enjoyable as expected, even though the views are wonderful. After visiting Oia for about 90 minutes we had to return to the coach parking lot where they drove us to the town of Fira. We were given tram tickets and left by the guide on a street that was about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the place where you take the tram. The guide did not take us to the tram but gave us directions to find it ourselves. Again, the walk to the centre of Fira was uphill, with steps, inclines and uneven cobblestones. It was challenging for me. Then we had to wait in line for over an hour to take the tram down the mountain to the tender boats. I found the trip to Santorini to be not particularly enjoyable due to the crowds and exhaustion from all of the steps, inclines etc.

What month were you in Santorini?  Thanks for your detailed review!

• 7 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 4:56 AM, dani negreanu said:

Hello. So glad to come across your post.
So even if our tour is Oia on your own, they will still drop us to Fira on our way back after 90mins free time in Oia?
I wonder what if I want to spend more time in Oia? 
when you get to Fira, were you immediately required to queue for cable car or were you give free time in Fira before taking cable car?
Can't we go back to ship without cable car?

8 minutes ago, travelali said:

Hello. So glad to come across your post.
So even if our tour is Oia on your own, they will still drop us to Fira on our way back after 90mins free time in Oia?
when you get to Fira, were you immediately required to queue for cable car or were you give free time in Fira before taking cable car?

You can but you would have to walk down the stinky donkey steps.

40 minutes ago, travelali said:

Typically the ship's excursion takes you by bus to Oia where you have 90 minutes on your own, then you board the bus again and it drops you in Fira. They will give you a voucher to ride the cable car down when you're ready. 

If you want to stay longer in Oia, you could take a taxi or the public bus (KTEL bus) back to Fira. But keep in mind that the bus only runs every 30 minutes or so, and can be full.

• Like 1

I am going to toss out a simple factoid and thought since "Santorini Anxiety" seems to an issue on these boards.  DW and I have been to Santorini (on cruises) at least 20 times.  We always do the island on our own (we do not like group tours) and over the many trips have used taxis, local island buses, and rental cars!  My message is simply that we still hear to tell the tale, still enjoy every visit to Santorini (will be there again this spring), and have never missed our ship :).  

Hank

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am going to toss out a simple factoid and thought since "Santorini Anxiety" seems to an issue on these boards.  DW and I have been to Santorini (on cruises) at least 20 times.  We always do the island on our own (we do not like group tours) and over the many trips have used taxis, local island buses, and rental cars!  My message is simply that we still hear to tell the tale, still enjoy every visit to Santorini (will be there again this spring), and have never missed our ship :).  

Hank

I think what leads to the anxiety is the fear of the unknown.  I have never been to Santorini and with 5 ships in port (September), including two that arrive before us, I thought the Carnival excursion Oia and Fira would be best for our group I'm sure once we get there, if we feel more comfortable with a taxi and want more time in Oia, we would take that route rather than be bussed to Fira. But I also have it in my brain that even though our ship leaves at 5, we'll probably have to head back around 2 to avoid a long wait at the cable car. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 5:49 PM, Hlitner said:
On 2/6/2024 at 5:49 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hi Hank, I would love to tap into your wisdom.  We are there with Celebrity on May 31 from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.  There is only one other ship and it comes in the afternoon.  What would you do for the day?

Wisdom?  That I will leave to DW.  I think of the island as having two main options.  Stick to the towns (Fira and Oia) or explore parts of the island outside the towns.  Many visitors simply want to spend their time in Oia and Fira, where you can browse shops, drink, eat, enjoy the view, and soak up the amazing atmosphere.  If that is what you desire, I suggest taking a relatively early tender (before 10am) to the island.  When you get off the tender, on the pier you should see a boat with a sign offering transportation to Oia.  The deal is usually that you pay a fee which includes a boat to the small port below Oia, transportation (usually a mini bus) from that pier up to Oia, and also a ticket for a later bus from Oia back to Fira.

During the morning in Oia it is just about walking around the cliff-top town, admiring all the views, enjoying some coffee or a snack, and browsing the many shops (which open around 10).  Take you time and stay there for lunch (you might want to look at a place that has an amazing view along with the food).  Later, you will take the bus to Fira (about a 20 min ride).  Once at Fira (the largest town on the island) you can again walk around, browse the many shops, eat, drink, etc.  Eventually you will need to brave the queue for the cable car (to get you down to a tender) or walk down the steps and path (sometimes slippery with donkey poo).

Option 2 is completely different,  Once you tender ashore you take the cable car (or a donkey) up to Fira.  You can than spend time enjoying the town.  But you can also arrange (best done well in advance) to rent a car with which you can explore much of the island.  Santorini has some beaches, wineries, and the ruins at Akritori.   Just keep in mind that you must eventually get back to Fira where you still need to get the cable car (or the long downhill walk) to the tender pier.

The queues at the upper cable car station can be nasty, especially when there are multiple ships.  There is no magic way to get down to that tender port.  You either wait your turn (it can only move about 600 persons per hour, of do the long downhill walk.  Cruise ships generally station a staffer at the top station to make sure everyone gets down on time...or they generally will have the ship delay departure until folks are down to the tender pier and back to the ship.  It is rare that a ship leaves folks behind...as long as they are in the line for the cable car!  That being said, we would not want to be among the last to test this theory 🙂  With a 10pm departure, I suspect you and most folks will be back aboard by 5 or 6, so you do not miss dinner :).

A warning.  Some might want to stay in Oia to watch the sunset.  But you would still need to find transportation back to Oia (not always easy) and get down to the tender!  IMHO this is not a wise strategy.  On the other hand, if you miss the ship and get stuck on Santorini.....not so bad :).  There are some wonderful small inns at Oia (with an amazing view) that would only cost $1000 - $2000 per night!

Hank

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zinniagirl said:

This is exactly what I was looking for!  You have been most helpful!!!

You're very lucky - 1) - that you only have one other ship in port and 2) that you're there for 14 hours! Nice!