Separate Accounts Needed?

DMP609

I will soon be sailing with my husband and 16 year old daughter. Currently, I am the only one in our family with an NCL.com account. Is it necessary to set up a separate NCL.com account for my husband? A few questions that come to mind:

1. If I set up an separate account for my husband, will I still be able to do online check-in for the 3 of us at one time or will I have to do myself and daughter and then do my husband separately under his account?

2. If I don't set up a separate account for him, will he still be able to use his free 150 internet minutes if I upgrade my minutes to unlimited premium Wi-Fi?

3. If I don't set up a separate account for him, how will it work for the NCL app? I doubt he will even want to use it but if he does, can he just sign into in using my account info?

4. Regarding the app, the NCL site says this for children:

"The Cruise Norwegian mobile app is not intended for children under the age of 13. However, permission by a parent or guardian in the same stateroom can be granted through their mobile app. To grant permission, a parent must log into the app with their information, open the main menu and navigate to the Preference Center, select the CHILD ACCESS menu option, and follow the instructions."

I don't understand how this works in practice. Do I grant Child Access but then my daughter logs into the app using my login information? I'm assuming she may not create her own NCL.com account since she's 16?

Thank you for your help!

If you are all on one reservation, no need for other accounts.  That being said, I created accounts for DW and kids years ago.  Nice to make sure points are correct.  Not sure how they handle kids now, but you could not see their history until 15 or 16.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DMP609 said:

I will soon be sailing with my husband and 16 year old daughter. Currently, I am the only one in our family with an NCL.com account. Is it necessary to set up a separate NCL.com account for my husband? A few questions that come to mind:

1. If I set up an separate account for my husband, will I still be able to do online check-in for the 3 of us at one time or will I have to do myself and daughter and then do my husband separately under his account?

2. If I don't set up a separate account for him, will he still be able to use his free 150 internet minutes if I upgrade my minutes to unlimited premium Wi-Fi?

3. If I don't set up a separate account for him, how will it work for the NCL app? I doubt he will even want to use it but if he does, can he just sign into in using my account info?

4. Regarding the app, the NCL site says this for children:

"The Cruise Norwegian mobile app is not intended for children under the age of 13. However, permission by a parent or guardian in the same stateroom can be granted through their mobile app. To grant permission, a parent must log into the app with their information, open the main menu and navigate to the Preference Center, select the CHILD ACCESS menu option, and follow the instructions."

I don't understand how this works in practice. Do I grant Child Access but then my daughter logs into the app using my login information? I'm assuming she may not create her own NCL.com account since she's 16?

Thank you for your help!

1. No. You don’t need a separate account. if everyone has an account, one person can still check in for all. Each person will be checked in separately from your account and you will have to authorize your husband and daughter to charge to your form of payment. and accept the cruise contract for all. 

2. Internet minutes have nothing to do with your NCL.com account. Onboard, your husband will log on with his name and birthdate. 

3. if he sets up his internet account, he will be logging into the app as himself. Or he can log on as you so long as he remembers your birthdate (which is a monumental feat for some husbands). 

4. no idea. Follow the instructions. It basically says that once you are on the app, you can book things (shore Ex, go karts, restaurants and will be charged to account). 

• Thanks 1

As a family of 7, we’ve always have had two accounts, two cabins can’t be on one reservation. I’ve had to booked excursions on the two accounts, although for dining just booked under one for 8 (and removed one onboard).

• Thanks 1

It's a little confusing.  I booked on my own and we needed to end up having two accounts because the website wouldn't let me book two cabins for 6 people. I ended up just logging into both and doing all the payments and everything.  I did contact customer service and asked them to combine the two reservations (thinking that it would bring everyone into one account when I logged in), but that wasn't the case.  We're still split up 3 and 3.  So, I'm not sure what the customer service rep did (if anything) 😄 . Anyway, it's not a huge hassle.  The one benefit of everyone getting the app (and an account) is that you can pay $10 per passenger to have access to a chat feature - which works independently of any internet plan or cell service.  Handy if you have a group that'll be splitting up fairly often. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, quagmire0 said:

It's a little confusing.  I booked on my own and we needed to end up having two accounts because the website wouldn't let me book two cabins for 6 people. I ended up just logging into both and doing all the payments and everything.  I did contact customer service and asked them to combine the two reservations (thinking that it would bring everyone into one account when I logged in), but that wasn't the case.  We're still split up 3 and 3.  So, I'm not sure what the customer service rep did (if anything) 😄 . Anyway, it's not a huge hassle.  The one benefit of everyone getting the app (and an account) is that you can pay $10 per passenger to have access to a chat feature - which works independently of any internet plan or cell service.  Handy if you have a group that'll be splitting up fairly often. 

I always booked one phone for our connecting cabins, I think thy were even separate charges on my credit card. It was two separate reservations, even had different cabin stewards for each cabin.

6 hours ago, DMP609 said:

I will soon be sailing with my husband and 16 year old daughter. Currently, I am the only one in our family with an NCL.com account. Is it necessary to set up a separate NCL.com account for my husband?

It is not necessary, but if you think you may want to sail with NCL again some time, then loyalty points earned in the NCL Latitudes program may be important to you.  Each individual who sails is eligible to earn reward points, but each must have an NCL account for those points to be registered.  You can earn free nights in specialty restaurants, discounts on shore excursions, free laundry service, and much more, but each person must an NCL account to receive the points.

4 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

It is not necessary, but if you think you may want to sail with NCL again some time, then loyalty points earned in the NCL Latitudes program may be important to you.  Each individual who sails is eligible to earn reward points, but each must have an NCL account for those points to be registered.  You can earn free nights in specialty restaurants, discounts on shore excursions, free laundry service, and much more, but each person must an NCL account to receive the points.

Thanks so much for your response. I'm not sure, but it seems like the Latitude points will be credited even if you don't have an account. But I'll know for sure after my cruise. Right now when I go to my account and look at the cruise guests for our cruise, it shows all of us with our Latitude numbers. They even already assigned one to my daughter who has never sailed with NCL. My husband and I sailed with them in 2008 in Hawaii so it shows us as Bronze level. For my daughter it says Tier Level: First Timer 😊. Maybe my TA requested her number.

2 hours ago, DMP609 said:

Thanks so much for your response. I'm not sure, but it seems like the Latitude points will be credited even if you don't have an account. But I'll know for sure after my cruise. Right now when I go to my account and look at the cruise guests for our cruise, it shows all of us with our Latitude numbers. They even already assigned one to my daughter who has never sailed with NCL. My husband and I sailed with them in 2008 in Hawaii so it shows us as Bronze level. For my daughter it says Tier Level: First Timer 😊. Maybe my TA requested her number.

If they have been assigned Latitude numbers, then an account has been created for each of them.  Check with NCL or your TA for access to their accounts.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

If they have been assigned Latitude numbers, then an account has been created for each of them.  Check with NCL or your TA for access to their accounts.

OK! Got it. Thank you!

On 5/31/2023 at 11:37 AM, The Traveling Man said:

My husband does not have his own NCL account and his Latitudes status shows the same as mine. You just have to make sure you use the same Latitudes number each time when booking.

The wife and I have been cruising with NCL since 2002 and we both have our own latitudes numbers. I have the account in my name and she is listed as my second passenger. I can check us in, make reservations, book excursions etc. Her points accrue just like mine. A couple of times we cruised with her mother and I was even able to add her as a third pax to the account. Actually she can also us the ap and the account using my login and password.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:37 PM, The Traveling Man said:

On 5/31/2023 at 6:50 PM, DMP609 said:

It is my understanding that when you have been given a Latitude number, then an NCL account is automatically created in your name? At least that was the case for my husband - we have always booked all our NCL cruises with me as "first passenger", and allthough he has never "used it" to book anything (and also not "created it himself") - it is available online. Only time it was ever actually used for anything was in 2020, when we received some FCC because of a couple of cruises that NCL cancelled because of covid, then 50% of the FCC was put in my husbands NCL account.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

It is my understanding that when you have been given a Latitude number, then an NCL account is automatically created in your name? At least that was the case for my husband - we have always booked all our NCL cruises with me as "first passenger", and allthough he has never "used it" to book anything (and also not "created it himself") - it is available online. Only time it was ever actually used for anything was in 2020, when we received some FCC because of a couple of cruises that NCL cancelled because of covid, then 50% of the FCC was put in my husbands NCL account.

That is my understanding of things as well.  It may be necessary for @DMP609, the OP on this thread, to contact NCL to gain access to her husband's account.  NCL may have set up a temporary password that would need to be changed before the account holder can fully utilize the account, but I believe you are correct that an account must have been set up by NCL for a Latitudes number to have been assigned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1