Parking Question

JDB78

Hope someone can help. Only used parking at Southampton once before for P&O, last time was CPS. This time we're with parking4cruises. Was just checking what the difference is in process. From memory last time we waited in quite a long queue, eventually it was our turn, car was photographed, we unpacked and car was taken. Was just checking if the queue we were in was specifically for CPS? If so and you're with P4C instead, where do you head once you get to Southampton? Don't want to get in a queue behind 50 other cars, only to get to the front and the people say you're not with CPS. 

I know once we unload we head to the short stay car park, but where do we park whilst we unload the car?

From the FAQs on Parking4cruises website:

Our Service

How does your Meet & Greet service work?

On the day of your cruise, you drive to the cruise terminal short stay car park and drop off your car with one of our Meet & Greet team. You are then free to go ahead and board the cruise ship, while a fully insured Parking4Cruises driver moves your vehicle to our secure compound, less than 3 miles away.

How far away from the terminal is the short stay car park?

The location of the short stay car park varies depending on the cruise terminal. The approximate distances for each terminal are as follows: 

• Queen Elizabeth II: 120 metres. 
  • Ocean Terminal: 50 metres. 
  • City Cruise Terminal: 310 metres. 
  • Mayflower: 100 metres. 

Are the drivers fully insured to drive my vehicle?

Yes! All of our drivers are fully insured to drive all of our customer's vehicles through insurers QBE.

Don't you need to know my drop off time?

A lot of cruise parking companies will insist that you specify a drop off time for your car. However, we know in the real world, there are times where plans change or traffic causes you to be delayed.

To make sure your cruise parking is hassle and stress free, we instead send you a text message on the morning of your drop off. All you need to do is make your way to the specified cruise terminal, and let us know when you're about 30 minutes away. This means we can have a member of our Meet & Greet team waiting for you.

Where should I drive to?

You'll need to drop your car off at the cruise terminal that your cruise ship is docked at. 48 hours before your cruise, we'll email you with the most up to date information, including directions to your cruise terminal.

We'll also send you a text message on the morning of your cruise to let you know we're expecting you.

When I arrive at the cruise terminal where do I drop off my car?

Once you have arrived at the cruise terminal you will be directed by the traffic marshals into the baggage drop off lanes to unload your bags. Once you've done this, head over to the short stay car park (around 20 metres way) and keep an eye out for the Parking4Cruises flag. 

Our Meet & Greet staff will be waiting for you.

• Thanks 2

Having used both CPS and Parking4Cruises, the latter can often be quicker, especially with the bigger ships. 

As most passengers use CPS, you need to be very clear to any Marshalls that stop you on your drive into the terminal that you are just dropping off. You go to one of the drop off lanes (that taxis etc use), rather than the lanes used by CPS, and unload your luggage. Passengers can alight from the car at this point and wait for the driver to return. The driver then drives the car the very short distance to the short stay car park for that terminal. Look for the Parking4Cruises flag and there will be a staff member (or members) checking in cars. Once they have checked your car, you leave them the key (same as CPS) and walk the short distance back to meet your travel companions. 

When you return at the end of the cruise, you just go to the short stay car park to collect your car. This can often be a much shorter walk than where CPS may have parked your car, as the car parks they use are massive!

Whilst it sounds more complicated it’s actually very simple and at busy times with the bigger ships is much quicker, as you don’t get caught in the long holding queues that CPS deploy before they commence checking in cars, when the lanes are full, or when waiting for their drivers to return from parking cars. Plus, of course, the cost saving can be considerable, especially with cruises of 14 days or above. We have taken On Board Credit in lieu of CPS parking and the cost of Parking4Cruises has been £100 less than the OBC offered!

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

you need to be very clear to any Marshalls that stop you on your drive into the terminal that you are just dropping off.

Never found that a problem if you display the P4C badge that you print off.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, david63 said:

I wasn’t suggesting that it was a problem, just that the ‘default’ parking is CPS and I have seen some P4C customers lugging all their luggage from the short stay car park, so I find it easier just to say that I’m dropping off so that I am directed to the taxi lane. 

6 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Forgot to specify; amended now

Thanks. I knew it wasn’t Mayflower, as the short stay car park is in a completely different position there and would be off the photo to the right 😂 

Edited by Selbourne

For some of the longer cruises, CPS may be cheaper than P4C.  For our Worldie and a 35 night roundtrip TA CPS are  £160 each cruise. 

However, fortnight cruises this year seem to be in the region of £250 for CPS, yet as pointed out, if on Select fare the reduction in OBC can be half that.  Marginally less than paying for P4C.  Our last cruise, we took the "free" parking with CPS.  First time we'd used them for several years.

31 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Screenshot_2023-06-04-09-50-45-125~4.jpeg

This is Ocean Terminal 

This is a great example.

We switched to P4C after waiting nearly an hour to park with CPS before boarding Britannia back in 2015. The longest delay we have had with P4C was around 10 minutes when I arrived at the same time as another driver.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. I knew it wasn’t Mayflower, as the short stay car park is in a completely different position there and would be off the photo to the right 😂 

We've only used them at Ocean Terminal and, like you, found them to be user friendly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

For some of the longer cruises, CPS may be cheaper than P4C.  For our Worldie and a 35 night roundtrip TA CPS are  £160 each cruise. 

However, fortnight cruises this year seem to be in the region of £250 for CPS, yet as pointed out, if on Select fare the reduction in OBC can be half that.  Marginally less than paying for P4C.  Our last cruise, we took the "free" parking with CPS.  First time we'd used them for several years.

I've just paid £129.96 with P4C for the "Standard Meet & Greet" (including cancellation option and vehicle spray down) parking service for our 14 night Arvia cruise in August. There are usually discount codes available if you shop around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

This is a great example.

We switched to P4C after waiting nearly an hour to park with CPS before boarding Britannia. The longest delay we have had with P4C was around 10 minutes when I arrived at the same time as another driver.

We've yet to use CPS; we have them booked for September.

When we last used P4C, my son and I arrived at the same time, along with two other vehicles. Less than five minutes later, we were walking back to the terminal.

After returning, I reviewed my dash-cam footage (bit sad, I know); our driver followed my son's car to the compound. Both cars were treated well on the drive and at the compound. The cars were returned by 07:00 on the day of disembarkation.

We will certainly use them again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Having used both CPS and Parking4Cruises, the latter can often be quicker, especially with the bigger ships. 

This is what I was thinking. We're on Arvia so would imagine no matter what time we arrive, there will be a big queue. Last July we were in a queue for about 45 mins for Ventura in the middle of that heatwave - very uncomfortable to say the least. Will follow the directions for taxi/ drop off then make our way to short stay car park after unloading.

Sounds like slightly more inconvenience in exchange for a much quicker experience? Was definitely cheaper for C4P vs CPS. Think it was something like 150 vs 250

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Passengers can alight from the car at this point and wait for the driver to return. The driver then drives the car the very short distance to the short stay car park for that terminal. Look for the Parking4Cruises flag and there will be a staff member (or members) checking in cars.

As Selbourne has said Parking4Cruises is very easy and we find it easier/simpler/quicker than using CPS. We have only used Ocean terminal post covid and when using Parking4Cruises as you enter the short stay car park then drive to the far left hand corner, this is where you will find P4C. 

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Last Arvia cruise where we were parking with P4C we were told due to a very short term backlog of cars that we were better off just driving to short term car park and to lug all cases back to the terminal from there. While that was totally doable next time I will just say I’m dropping off. As I cruise with my mid 80’s mother that will be the easier option for me. Then I will just drive over to P4C myself with the empty car. In many many cruises we have only been prevented the once from dropping off passengers and cases directly at the terminal.

30 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

As Selbourne has said Parking4Cruises is very easy and we find it easier/simpler/quicker than using CPS. We have only used Ocean terminal post covid and when using Parking4Cruises as you enter the short stay car park then drive to the far left hand corner, this is where you will find P4C. 

As per the map at post #7

1 hour ago, smokey01 said:

Yes, apologies, I replied before reading subsequent posts. Lesson learnt!

No need to apologise; I wasn't having a dig, just highlighting for the OP. 🙂

Really grateful for all the advice and shared experiences in this thread - thank you! We've blindly used CPS for years and years having always been happy with their service. But last summer's experience wasn't great and when I was quoted £267 for 16 days this summer, I decided to look around. We've booked P4C for £142 now instead... 

• Like 2

See I have had 3 emails fro p and o on 3 future cruises asking to make sure we have booked parking and must be done by 35 days before cruise date..We always book straight  away but if you did a late deal guess parking is not guaranteed .

5 hours ago, binman2 said:

See I have had 3 emails fro p and o on 3 future cruises asking to make sure we have booked parking and must be done by 35 days before cruise date..We always book straight  away but if you did a late deal guess parking is not guaranteed .

We haven’t yet booked for 2025 yet but I guess will have to now, but does anyone know if we have to cancel the parking say because we might have to use the coach instead whether there is a cancellation charge? 

6 hours ago, binman2 said:

Yes, strangely enough I had an email today saying that there is heavy demand for CPS and availability is not guaranteed. As you say, they suggest booking very early and that it must be at least 35 days before departure.