Why do Oceania’s cookies have no taste?

Woodrowst

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have another thought!  Since quite a few folks are telling me that O cookies suck, this creates a personal dilemma.  Like Cookie Monster, I do enjoy a decent cookie.  So now I face the awful dilemma of spending 35 days on the Vista without a decent cookie.  This should not happen to any man!  Since we embark from Miami, where there are plenty of decent bakeries, I wonder if I can bring aboard a supply of good cookies without being  charged a "cookie fee."  What say you?

Hank

Corkage?  and now Cookage?

GC

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I think if you put the cookies inside bottles of wine you're okay. Big bottles.

Hmm.  Would that have to be one of those "rare wines" that are priced from $500-$2000 a bottle?

2 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

As long as there's no wine left when you crumble the cookie in.

Oceania is simply making cookies for the pax that think they are on a party ship...no taste.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Oceania is simply making cookies for the pax that think they are on a party ship...no taste.

Which these cruises may become after the Simply More alcohol inclusions take effect. Or, perhaps there is a more disturbing motive at play: cost cutting food quality deterioration. Liquor up the pax, like on Viking (from reading alleged comments) and other mass market lines, so they won’t know the difference.

I acknowledge this is purely speculation. 

On 6/16/2023 at 5:19 PM, cruisemom42 said:

This sounds promising.

I'd rather have good pizza than good cookies. 😍

Aquamar was also really nice for some lighter fare with good quality ingredients.  Smoothies, poke bowl, avocado toast variants for breakfast.  Very nice.

Main dining and new casual specialty were disappointing, with a few exceptions.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:12 PM, pinotlover said:

Currently on the Vista. My take on the pizza at dinner. My wife and I split a pizza for dinner. It was at first very good and I give the staff kudos. However, it was served on an unwarmed white plate sitting up on a holder. At 65-70 degree F ambient, In Waves, it cooled very quickly, and by the second piece we were eating cold pizza. Some people enjoy cold pizza, we don’t. Seems there should be some way to keep it warm at the table. Potentially good pizza, but won’t reorder as is. 

I guess we were onboard together.  Agree.  It is a bit of a ‘feature’ that thinner Italian style pizzas cool faster, so highly recommend sitting by the pizza ovens and eating there vs relying on staff to bring it too your table, where delays hurt the end product.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 4:18 AM, Rainbow3fe said:

I used to think they overbaked them. Then I realized that they served the same awful cookies on every Oceania ship.

Did anyone ever tell you why they are awful? It's really OK with me. I love the cheesecakes, keylime pies, sticky buns and those awesome mini cakes in Baristas.  🎂⚰️ It's better for me not to be tempted by delicious cookies.🍪

Keylime Pie !! Cheesecake !!. OK then I can forgive the tasteless cookies.............

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D. B. said:

Keylime Pie !! Cheesecake !!. OK then I can forgive the tasteless cookies.............

The baked goods are delicious.  That's why people complain about the cookies. You would think they should be wonderful as well.🎂🍪🌻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2023 at 5:48 AM, Woodrowst said:

My wife and I are currently on the Nautica having embarked in Dubai and now entering the Red Sea on our way to Egypt.  We are having a wonderful cruise.  This is our 5th Oceania cruise and we have noticed on all of them that the cookies have no taste whatsoever.  This is clearly the exception since all of the other food is terrific.  So I thought I’d ask if anyone knows why Oceania bakes cookies that have no taste?  Please understand that this is not a complaint.  It would take a lot more than cardboard cookies to ruin our cruise.  I am simply looking for an explanation.

i also realize that the question can be read two ways.  The taste I am talking about involves ingredients.  It does not reference a cookie who wears shorts to dinner ☺️

We fly out tomorrow for our 3rd O cruise. First was in 2018 and 2nd was last year due to pandemic. Personally, I have not liked any of the desserts except the ice cream. My sister traveled with us last summer and she is a wonderful cook and baker, also did not like ANY of the desserts. She thinks maybe they don't put any salt in their desserts. I don't know and don't care. Packed 2 bags of small Snickers for my sweet tooth! 🤣

• Haha 2

Well, it happened!

As promised in a previous post, @zz19  delivered a package of Costco Chocolate Chunk cookies to me after he joined our ATW cruise in Tokyo (thanks again, Steve!).

Yesterday, during our brunch in the Grand Dining Room, I had the opportunity to give some to our Executive Chef, Farid, and he liked them.  He said he would share with our pastry chef.

For dessert last night, I requested chocolate chip cookies, and the ones served were the best I have ever had on Oceania.  If they were just a little moister, they would have been the equals of the Costco ones.  

On our cruise, the quality has been up and down, but I am hoping against hope that they will continue to be better.  If they remain as good as last night’s, I will be very pleased.😋

• Like 8

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

Well, it happened!

As promised in a previous post, @zz19  delivered a package of Costco Chocolate Chunk cookies to me after he joined our ATW cruise in Tokyo (thanks again, Steve!).

Yesterday, during our brunch in the Grand Dining Room, I had the opportunity to give some to our Executive Chef, Farid, and he liked them.  He said he would share with our pastry chef.

This is the most promising cookie post in the whole eight pages! Gives me hope! Go, cookies!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

Well, it happened!

For dessert last night, I requested chocolate chip cookies, and the ones served were the best I have ever had on Oceania.  If they were just a little moister, they would have been the equals of the Costco ones.  

On our cruise, the quality has been up and down, but I am hoping against hope that they will continue to be better.  If they remain as good as last night’s, I will be very pleased.😋

The finest cuisine at Costco, now we need a hot dog thread.

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, bob brown said:

There’s no need for that…Oceania’s grilled hot dogs are just fine, as they are…😉

Why eat hot dogs when fresh tuna and lobster are always available?  This is Oceania 🌊not "Carnival"🎡 

😎🎉

Edited by Rainbow3fe
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Why eat hot dogs when fresh tuna and lobster are always available?  This is Oceania 🌊not "Carnival"🎡 

😎🎉

Because sometimes just a simple old hot dog tastes great. Ketchup, Mustard, & Relish. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Because sometimes just a simple old hot dog tastes great. Ketchup, Mustard, & Relish. 

Ketchup on a hot dog?  

Lou Costello: If I want to put ketchup on a hot dog, there’s no law saying I can’t put ketchup on a hot dog.

Bud Abbott: You don’t put it on. Forget about it.

Lou Costello: This is a free country, and if I don’t want to eat mustard, I don’t have to eat it.

Bud Abbott: Don’t holler.

Lou Costello: You don’t know better. I’m not gonna eat it.

Bud Abbott: Keep quiet. So you don’t like mustard. Why didn’t you tell me that in the first place?

Lou Costello: I don’t like it ’cause it makes me sick.

• Haha 1