C&A Changes?

11 hours ago, drb116 said:

Yes, I agree. While not my first priority, I would be very upset if my kids didn't get credit for all the cruises they do. One of the things our family loves about Royal Caribbean are the nightly receptions in the Diamond lounge and it would be very disappointing if our family could no longer do that once the kids hit 18, even though both would have been on enough cruises to earn D+.

I’d cruise either way.  I’m not cruising for my kids to get points.  Last thing on my mind, but I’m glad they get them.  

On 6/5/2023 at 9:38 AM, topnole said:

Lots of adults cruise with someone else paying for it.  Who pays the bill isn’t a criteria in any loyalty program I’m aware of in other industries either.  

You've got that right. I wish that I had the points for the other people that I've paid for. I'd have a shot at making Pinnacle during my lifetime.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:23 AM, topnole said:

You think anyone on CC could definitely confirm how accurate this rumor is?  We don’t work for Royal so no one here knows for sure.  

Unfortunately, that holds true for about 99% of their own employees, too, even though those employees are entrusted with answering our, the consumers, questions.    I can only think of one of RCCL's phone answerers that I've talked to that seemed very knowledgeable and was and it was about a decade ago.  

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You've got that right. I wish that I had the points for the other people that I've paid for. I'd have a shot at making Pinnacle during my lifetime.

I don't think I'll ever get to the Pinnacle status, being 71, but I'll passively give it a go.  However, I think it is easier, faster, and cheaper to just book Star Class cruises.  Double points, Internet for everyone in the cabin at no extra charge, Specialty Restaurants at no extra charge, all Beverage Packages at no extra charge, being treated with a little better luxury, Terminal Arrival Time solely at your discretion, no one says no to you (except ship's officers, that includes the Genie but they will do everything in their power to say, YES!) and so much more.  Oh, let's not forget, twice-a-day cabin/suite service LOL.  

A lot of that is tongue-in-cheek.  But, all of it is true.

• Like 3

The story you get from RCCL agents varies by who you talk to.  And they've changed the policies over the years.

We just went through a C&A adventure with our upcoming Quantum cruise.  Some background:  My wife and I are Diamond Plus.  We have two daughters, now in their 30s.  When they were young, we took them on a lot of cruises...AND, from the age of 10 and 12, we always got them their own cabins--FULL PRICE--often balconies, even an Alaskan cruisetour in their own suite as teens.  One cruise we took just one daughter as the other's school was in finals and paid FULL fare for her cabin even though she cruised as a "single".  NO REASON I CAN SEE why they should be "reset" at 18 when their cabin was not just 3rd/4th berth in ours.  THOSE should count no matter their age.  I've spent more money on their behalf with RCCL than a lot of Diamonds who went on cheap 3-nighters in inside cabins in the off season to get to Diamond.

Anyway, the older daughter, in her early 20s, went on Mariner of the Seas with her college roommate.  She was DIAMOND for that one and her roomie got the benefits as well even though she'd never cruised before.  Those were the rules then.

When we took the daughters on a cruise in their mid/late 20s, I called RCCL to check and they told us daughter #1 was Diamond, but daughter #2 was not!  Really?  I got nowhere with the agent...Called back the next day, got another agent.  Same story.  I asked "So, when we all go for drinks in the Diamond Club, should we just have the other daughter sit out in the hall outside the Diamond Club door and wait?"  The agent changed daughter #2 to Diamond.

Now, the girls are in their 30s.  We're treating them and our sons-in-law to an Alaska cruise on Quantum.  Daughter #2 called C&A and, no problem, they made HER husband Diamond as well.  Daughter #1 called and the agent she got told her that not only couldn't she get hers upgraded to Diamond, that, somehow SHE wasn't Diamond!  Seriously?  She has been Diamond on TWO cruises now as an ADULT prior to this.  They pulled me into the call as a three way call.  The agent wanted us to jump through all sorts of hoops.  We asked to speak to a supervisor.  We got transferred to the supervisor...explained in about 30 seconds what the problem was...NO PROBLEM.  She confirmed daughter #1 was Diamond and promoted SIL to Diamond as well.  Now we're set.

One issue I discovered in all of this is that our daughters don't necessarily have the same point totals we do...but they weren't reset to zero either.  Only thing is that, though they have that Diamond status for life, they won't get to D+ or to Zenith until their point totals get all the way to the needed numbers...and RCCL has at least one of the daughters actually short of the 75 for Diamond...so she's a little farther away...We're not going to worry about that.  For the time being, we can all at least for the time being, we can all go to the Diamond Club together.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

The story you get from RCCL agents varies by who you talk to.  And they've changed the policies over the years.

We just went through a C&A adventure with our upcoming Quantum cruise.  Some background:  My wife and I are Diamond Plus.  We have two daughters, now in their 30s.  When they were young, we took them on a lot of cruises...AND, from the age of 10 and 12, we always got them their own cabins--FULL PRICE--often balconies, even an Alaskan cruisetour in their own suite as teens.  One cruise we took just one daughter as the other's school was in finals and paid FULL fare for her cabin even though she cruised as a "single".  NO REASON I CAN SEE why they should be "reset" at 18 when their cabin was not just 3rd/4th berth in ours.  THOSE should count no matter their age.  I've spent more money on their behalf with RCCL than a lot of Diamonds who went on cheap 3-nighters in inside cabins in the off season to get to Diamond.

Anyway, the older daughter, in her early 20s, went on Mariner of the Seas with her college roommate.  She was DIAMOND for that one and her roomie got the benefits as well even though she'd never cruised before.  Those were the rules then.

When we took the daughters on a cruise in their mid/late 20s, I called RCCL to check and they told us daughter #1 was Diamond, but daughter #2 was not!  Really?  I got nowhere with the agent...Called back the next day, got another agent.  Same story.  I asked "So, when we all go for drinks in the Diamond Club, should we just have the other daughter sit out in the hall outside the Diamond Club door and wait?"  The agent changed daughter #2 to Diamond.

Now, the girls are in their 30s.  We're treating them and our sons-in-law to an Alaska cruise on Quantum.  Daughter #2 called C&A and, no problem, they made HER husband Diamond as well.  Daughter #1 called and the agent she got told her that not only couldn't she get hers upgraded to Diamond, that, somehow SHE wasn't Diamond!  Seriously?  She has been Diamond on TWO cruises now as an ADULT prior to this.  They pulled me into the call as a three way call.  The agent wanted us to jump through all sorts of hoops.  We asked to speak to a supervisor.  We got transferred to the supervisor...explained in about 30 seconds what the problem was...NO PROBLEM.  She confirmed daughter #1 was Diamond and promoted SIL to Diamond as well.  Now we're set.

One issue I discovered in all of this is that our daughters don't necessarily have the same point totals we do...but they weren't reset to zero either.  Only thing is that, though they have that Diamond status for life, they won't get to D+ or to Zenith until their point totals get all the way to the needed numbers...and RCCL has at least one of the daughters actually short of the 75 for Diamond...so she's a little farther away...We're not going to worry about that.  For the time being, we can all at least for the time being, we can all go to the Diamond Club together.

Are you looking to adopt anyone? 🙂 My parents stopped paying for things for me when I turned 18. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I don't think I'll ever get to the Pinnacle status, being 71, but I'll passively give it a go.  However, I think it is easier, faster, and cheaper to just book Star Class cruises.  Double points, Internet for everyone in the cabin at no extra charge, Specialty Restaurants at no extra charge, all Beverage Packages at no extra charge, being treated with a little better luxury, Terminal Arrival Time solely at your discretion, no one says no to you (except ship's officers, that includes the Genie but they will do everything in their power to say, YES!) and so much more.  Oh, let's not forget, twice-a-day cabin/suite service LOL.  

I get your point. However, most of those benefits, other than internet, mean little to me so I'd be throwing away money just to get to Pinnacle. I'm just not all that needy. Give me my balcony, my D+ drinks,  the Windjammer, and some decent entertainment and I can make the week be pretty enjoyable on the ship.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Only thing is that, though they have that Diamond status for life, they won't get to D+ or to Zenith until their point totals get all the way to the needed numbers...and RCCL has at least one of the daughters actually short of the 75 for Diamond...so she's a little farther away.

Yep, this is the rub.  Our daughter same.  She's listed Diamond plus with like 30 something points on her own.  I think it's cockamamie! 

16 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Star class is so insanely priced for future bookings it just doesn’t make any sense.  No way I’m paying 2-5k per day for my family to cruise.   You can get one hell of an experience with other types of trips for that kind of dough.   But I’m more than happy with sky class and if I want the other restaurants I’ll just get the UDP for a few hundred per person.  Way cheaper than the insane premium for Star right now.  Over the past year we have done star, then sky and then sky again.  We

were more than happy and content with our sky class trips.  And it would’ve been at least double, maybe up to quadruple to get a star cabin.  No thanks at that premium.  Sky perks are enough for us and we got treated extremely well in the SL/CK.  

And when sky, you have all and more perks than pinnacle so no need to be pinnacle if you are go sky class.  

Edited by topnole

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I hear you.  I’ve flipped the bill for every Royal cruise I’ve ever been on.  And of

course many for my kids.  I’m half way to pinnacle.  But I really don’t care.  I’m sure I’ll make it unless I die too young, but I now prefer cruising in suites so I get any perks that way.  I could care less about the status.  Im only interested in any perks and cruising in suites and being D+ give me all that I need or want.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Star class is so insanely priced for future bookings it just doesn’t make any sense.  No way I’m paying 2-5k per day for my family to cruise.   You can get one hell of an experience with other types of trips for that kind of dough.   But I’m more than happy with sky class and if I want the other restaurants I’ll just get the UDP for a few hundred per person.  Way cheaper than the insane premium for Star right now.  Over the past year we have done star, then sky and then sky again.  We

were more than happy and content with our sky class trips.  And it would’ve been at least double, maybe up to quadruple to get a star cabin.  No thanks at that premium.  Sky perks are enough for us and we got treated extremely well in the SL/CK.  

And when sky, you have all and more perks than pinnacle so no need to be pinnacle if you are go sky class.  

You're right, Star Class is now insanely priced and I don't think I can afford to book one again for a long time.  However, the one I have booked right now, Jan 2024, Harmony, out of Galveston, Star Class, there is 6 of us in the suite, and after everything is added up, it boils down to each couple paying about ~$4,500.00 per couple for a 7-night cruise and we booked it about 2 years ago.  I can only think of one other vacation that I enjoy as much as cruising and that is Vegas, baby LOL.  And trust me, I would spend a whole lot more than ~$4,500.00 for a 7-night visit there.  And I'd get a lot less that is included in the vacation, like meals, adult beverages, entertainment (even if a little subpar to Vagas', with the occasional exception of Comedians, some are Vegas quality), and so on. 

DISCLAIMER: These are my preferences and opinions, not arguments and/or disagreements, they don't have to be anybody else's.  I'm just responding as a discussion (this is a discussion board, right?) to a legitimate comment.   

Disclaimers are becoming the norm, I guess.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You're right, Star Class is now insanely priced and I don't think I can afford to book one again for a long time.  However, the one I have booked right now, Jan 2024, Harmony, out of Galveston, Star Class, there is 6 of us in the suite, and after everything is added up, it boils down to each couple paying about ~$4,500.00 per couple for a 7-night cruise and we booked it about 2 years ago.  I can only think of one other vacation that I enjoy as much as cruising and that is Vegas, baby LOL.  And trust me, I would spend a whole lot more than ~$4,500.00 for a 7-night visit there.  And I'd get a lot less that is included in the vacation, like meals, adult beverages, entertainment (even if a little subpar to Vagas', with the occasional exception of Comedians, some are Vegas quality), and so on. 

DISCLAIMER: These are my preferences and opinions, not arguments and/or disagreements, they don't have to be anybody else's.  I'm just responding as a discussion (this is a discussion board, right?) to a legitimate comment.   

At that price it makes a lot of sense and you certainly can’t get Star class treatment in Vegas for $4500.  You’d have to gamble $4500 every 10 minutes for that.  

I’ll say though that our last cabin was a 2 bedroom grand suite on Symphony (for my family of 5) and it was a fantastic experience and set up.  Obviously Star is over the top great.  We did allure last year in the deck 8 ATS.  It was great.  But I realized I am more than content with sky class.  Only thing that I might  miss is showing up to shows and going right to the best seat.  Nothing else was that big of a deal to miss.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

In January of '22, I booked Allure for Sept '23 for just $2121 per person for 4 people in a 2BR Aqua Theater Suite (Star Class). 

I haven't calculated it recently, but at the time of booking, I figured that the intrinsic value of Star Class was $1053 per person per 7 days (then subtract a Genie Tip). A JS at that time was $1021, a balcony $500. 

But yeah, I agree, at current prices, this might be the last Star Class we ever do.

• Like 2