EPIC VS ESCAPE

Now that the Epic is going to Orlando this winter, I am debating if I should book it.   I feel like over the years I have heard negative comments about the Epic but I can't remember exact reasons.  I have been on the Escape, Breakaway, and Getaway for reference.  The Epic is about $500 less than the Escape for the same week so tell me why I should or should not book the Epic.  Thanks in advance!

The Epic--you either love it or hate it!  The MAJOR complaint is the bathroom set-up.  When first entering the cabin, the shower is on one side and the toilet is on the other side.  Both are enclosed with frosted glass, so you can tell if someone is in there, but can't really see them.  I have been on the Epic with 2 people to a cabin and 3 people to a cabin.  Both times we loved it!!  One could shower while one used the toilet!  There is a curtain that you can pull to seperate the shower/toilet area from the rest of the cabin.  It would be akward for a family with teens--especially since there is no room to towel off or dress before exiting the shower.  It would also be akward if a cabin attendant walked in while one of the areas were in use.  The sink in the main cabin area is small, but no problems.  I would recommend booking a cabin with the couch closest to the door as opposed to the bed, due to the sink position.  I love the Epic and have sailed on her 5 times--3 TAs and 2 other cruises.  Only draw back is no observation lounge.

• Like 1

I have been on boat..... aye pun intended 😆

I like the Epic and I like the Escape (to be honest I would be happy in a dingy with the bar open and a bit of craic with other cruisers!)

I preferred Spice H2O and Bliss (Escape has a smaller open plan alternative to Bliss) on the Epic.

However, the board walk on the Escape was epic.....  aye pun intended again 😆

It was a great, walking, viewing, drinking and eating location.

• Like 4

Also been on both, and would have to agree that the Boardwalk on The Escape was wonderful!

Now that being said we were on the Epic twice and really enjoyed her. 

Escape over Epic for me. Epic has a Weird layout… very closed off from the water when in interior spaces. The kid in me loved the toilet bowl flush water slide on Epic, though. Overall I’m a one and done for Epic. The cabin layout is a deal breaker for any future cruises but I’d sail on the Escape seven ways To Sunday. She’s awesome! 

If you're a beer drinker, any ship with a District wins hands-down. The typical beer selection on NCL ships without a District is downright dreadful.

Having said that, we recently canceled our Epic cruise for next September and substituted another cruise on the Escape. And we were just on the Escape TA last November, so that should tell you something about which we like better.

Edited by schmoopie17

We have been on both as well, and I would probably choose Escape over Epic mainly due to the room configuration (that bathroom set up is awkward).  Loved the waterfront on the Escape and the beer district!  Epic has an escalator (first time we encountered one on a ship) that helps moving along versus using elevators.  Epic also has ice bar which is a novelty thing to do once.  

Overall - Escape is the choice for us in this debate, but both have their own unique things.

We've been on the Escape twice and Epic three times. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the Escape -- no hesitation.

The Escape has the wine bar, District Brewhouse and the waterfront. There are also more indoor bar options than the Epic. The waterfront makes you feel connected to the sea -- the Epic is closed-in.

Good things about the Epic -- the Haven is pretty awesome with Posh and the Courtyard Grill. Spice H20 is very nice with the tiered seating and pool. The Ice Bar can be a fun experience to drink an insane amount of vodka in 30 minutes.

Along with price, look at port times and whether or not you have to tender as well. These things will often sway me towards one ship over the other.

18 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Good things about the Epic -- the Haven is pretty awesome with Posh and the Courtyard Grill. Spice H20 is very nice with the tiered seating and pool. 

Is Posh and the Courtyard Grill within the Haven, or is it a separate area that you have to pay extra for?

(We've only been in the Haven once, on Joy.)

The Posh is the Haven sundeck and a very limited number of passes are sold to non-Haven passengers.

The Courtyard Grill is within the Haven complex.

Both are included in the ridiculously high Haven fare.

10 minutes ago, mafig said:

Is Posh and the Courtyard Grill within the Haven, or is it a separate area that you have to pay extra for?

(We've only been in the Haven once, on Joy.)

Posh is part of Haven. There is a bar, but no hot tubs. The Courtyard Grill is a bar and open-air restaurant area that is part of the Haven. No extra charge for either.