Notes from Queen Mary 2 to the Med (& back)

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, techteach said:

I’m disappointed to hear about the tough lamb and steak. Was there any explanation? Do you think Osman is aware?

There's a different Daily menu in the Grills so it's unlikely he had as many complaints as in Britannia.

Mr HH had lamb again tonight and it was much better.

We had neighbours, they spoke to us !

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

There's a different Daily menu in the Grills so it's unlikely he had as many complaints as in Britannia.

Mr HH had lamb again tonight and it was much better.

We had neighbours, they spoke to us !

Are you sure they didn’t mistake you for someone else? 🙂

• Haha 2

We had a lovely day in Tivoli yesterday. We've never been to Villa d'Este before and it was absolutely stunning. I'd post pics, but we're not great photographers and there are so many better ones online. We also went to Hadrian's villa which was interesting. It was a long, hot day but so worth it. Then back just in time to get ready for dinner, which was excellent and on to the show. By 9 pm we were pooped so, walked back to bed via the Queens Room to watch a little ballroom dancing and in bed by 9.30 pm. 

• Like 7

On 6/11/2023 at 7:12 AM, NE John said:

QM2 looks ok, but not as bad as other reviews. I was expecting to see this:

image.jpeg.7f1396baf2c291765626f32a08a957a2.jpeg

Yes, it’s painful to look at. When I see her on old photos, going at full speed, with those enormous funnels, I always think of her as the last four-stacker.

4 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

The photos of the various screens on the Voyage Tracker navigation appear to be quite thorough.

Previous posts had mentioned a downgrade of information.

Does QV use a different program?

Seems to. Perhaps it will change.

4 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

The photos of the various screens on the Voyage Tracker navigation appear to be quite thorough.

Previous posts had mentioned a downgrade of information.

Does QV use a different program?

Yes QV system is basic gives lat/long  course speed pressure and wind across deck. Maps are very basic.

16 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Unfortunate, also odd that each ship would use a different system, you would think corporate would rationalise it same for all.

And if they did, which one would you guess would become standardised?

On 6/10/2023 at 5:01 PM, Host Hattie said:

We stayed in our favourite New Forest hotel, our check in time was 1.30 and the taxi company had recommended a 12.30 pick-up. The driver was a little early and because of bad traffic on his outbound journey took us back through the forest to rejoin the road to Southampton. We got to the terminal just before 1, there were no queues and we were directed to the Priority check in line and then straight through to the security line. This was the longest bit of the process but we were onboard ordering lunch in the Golden Lion by 1.30.

By the time we got back to the cabin all our luggage had arrived and we unpacked. No Pol AKer and we left the replacement for another day. It was a glorious afternoon so we went to the Terrace Pool for sailaway, a canny barman managed to sell Mr HH a bottle of Prosecco !

After dressing for a Smart Attire evening we went to the Champagne Bar, 2 glasses of pink champagne and some warm canapes went down very well. 

We’d requested late sitting dinner on a table for 6 so we were a but puzzled when our seating assignment sent us to Deck 3. We had to wait a few minutes for those who were on open dining to be shown to a table and were taken to a table for 2 right at the back of the restaurant. It was right by a window which was a nice surprise but otherwise wasn’t really what we’d asked for. The table for 2 very close to us was empty so we might get company tomorrow. Dinner was fine, crab and shrimp starter and pork for main course. The sommelier managed to find us in time for us to get wine with our mains and at least we have some for tomorrow.

The show was Indigo May, a pair of female singers, one of whom lives in the same village as us so we felt we should go along to support. There was plenty of room in the theatre and waiter service.

We called it a night after the show.

The 3rd table from us was occupied by a pleasant Chinese/Asian heritage couple who we have meet a few times since. Tonight we bumped into them just after dinner, they had just experienced a Kings Court dinner, completed with racial abuse, it puts our dining  on our own again into perspective. Apologies in advance if racial abuse should be on a different thread. 

1 hour ago, Mr H. H said:

The 3rd table from us was occupied by a pleasant Chinese/Asian heritage couple who we have meet a few times since. Tonight we bumped into them just after dinner, they had just experienced a Kings Court dinner, completed with racial abuse, it puts our dining  on our own again into perspective. Apologies in advance if racial abuse should be on a different thread. 

What a shame.  I hope they can put it behind them.  I have more to say, but will restrain myself.

• Like 1

It is not great to hear the story of the radial abuse. However in general the atmosphere on board is convivial, friendly, and sociable for the mix of nationalities who are enjoying the voyage. Although we have seen a small number of obnoxious people everyone else we've met have been lovely. The atmosphere on the Queens Room has been fabulous for 10 consecutive days, though it was a bit dead with the party night last night.

• Like 5

The two sea days have passed in a blur of room service breakfast, Carinthia Lounge lunch, lots of reading on the balcony and the company of dolphins several times yesterday. Dinner with both tables filled and then none ! The weather has been glorious.

Cadiz today, horses and sherry for us.

20230619_111629.jpg

20230619_160300.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks for the updates.

So sorry to hear of dining woes, I wonder if there's 'anyone' you can escalate your criticisms [and I think your experiences are worthy of that word] to, who will actually listen?

Have you tried the Hotel manager?

As for 'blur days'. Our cruise over two weeks ago certainly fitted that phrase. Lovely.🙂 We don't do hectic any more.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

The two sea days have passed in a blur of room service breakfast, Carinthia Lounge lunch, lots of reading on the balcony and the company of dolphins several times yesterday. Dinner with both tables filled and none ! The weather has been glorious.

Cadiz today, horses and sherry for us.

20230619_111629.jpg

20230619_160300.jpg

Last night the 2 nearest tables and the next 1,  across the Isle were empty. The last 1in the row a table for 4 had 2 staff and another couple, the male was interestingly dressed. 

• Like 2

Cadiz is always a lovely place to just amble, and having the coloured lines for the standard tourist routes both on the real pavements as well as on the tourist map, makes it very easy to get around for first timers to the town.

I don't even want to think about the next two sea days leading to the disembarkation at the end of the week. So far it's been a glorious voyage and fabulous weather so who could ask for more.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Thanks for the updates.

So sorry to hear of dining woes, I wonder if there's 'anyone' you can escalate your criticisms [and I think your experiences are worthy of that word] to, who will actually listen?

Have you tried the Hotel manager?

As for 'blur days'. Our cruise over two weeks ago certainly fitted that phrase. Lovely.🙂 We don't do hectic any more.

Port days are good, but a nice sunny sea day is better, in fact better than most things.

• Like 4