Formal or not?? (rant)

On 6/16/2023 at 4:24 PM, darknightsdespiser said:

I have been so in favour of retaining the formal nights and was looking forward to 2 evenings wearing my lovely purple dress. Today with less than 2 weeks to go an email arrives saying the 2nd formal is white and gold. No British adult I have ever met would ever go for a night out in white and gold so for many (most?) this would now entail frantic online shopping. My point is that if the existing dress can only be worn once there isn't a lot of point in it taking up space and this could herald the end of many of us bothering which would be sad.

On my US based sailings I have seen few white and gold dresses on 'white and gold' . I would not worry about it at all and wear your lovely new purple dress! I certainly did NOT go purchase any white and gold clothing. 

I have a white sleeveless,  lace overlay, knee high, dress I really like & have worn on previous formal nights. Now I feel like I should be leaving it at home as "no one looks good in a white dress" "especially if they are not a bride or 6". No need to tear down to build up.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2023 at 6:52 AM, eltigre said:

I have a white sleeveless,  lace overlay, knee high, dress I really like & have worn on previous formal nights. Now I feel like I should be leaving it at home as "no one looks good in a white dress" "especially if they are not a bride or 6". No need to tear down to build up.

Whatever you are happy with!

• Like 1

The only people who do not look good in a white dress are those that have convinced themselves of that misapprehension. Adding the lace overlay gives it a touch of historic elegance. You will look great, @eltigre

Actually white, black, and other neutrals look fine on just about everybody, everywhere!

I would never hesitate to wear white, although I mainly wear it in Summer, but I have a few beautiful white cashmere and angora sweaters I wear in the Winter.  A white silk blouse with a nice suit is striking year round.

There is no better time than a vacation to wear a special (new) outfit.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 7:52 AM, eltigre said:

I always say beauty emanates from the soul.  If you feel fabulous in your dress and you are kind you will be fierce!

• Like 3

Is the White and Gold theme and “Love Boat” party for US based sailings only?  I’m already struggling a little with packing for formal night for a Med cruise in February so to try to dress for 2 additional theme nights would be a real challenge.

I might try to incorporate elements of each theme somehow if I can be creative.

Hi all, came upon this thread as DH and I prepare for our first Princess Cruise in September (Canada/New England 10 days). As we are unfamiliar with the dress code for Princess would someone kindly answer a few questions below:

1. How many formal nights on a 10 day cruise?

2. Is the formal attire expected in just the MDR or in all specialty restaurants as well?

3. What about in the buffet restaurant?

4. Will we know before departure which nights will be the formal nights so we can Plan reservations?

5. Finally what does one normally wear for formal night if you’re on a colder climate cruise?

Thank you so much for your responses and if you have any other clothing tips that would be great!

7 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

Hi all, came upon this thread as DH and I prepare for our first Princess Cruise in September (Canada/New England 10 days). As we are unfamiliar with the dress code for Princess would someone kindly answer a few questions below:

2. Is the formal attire expected in just the MDR or in all specialty restaurants as well?

4. Will we know before departure which nights will be the formal nights so we can Plan reservations?

5. Finally what does one normally wear for formal night if you’re on a colder climate cruise?

Thank you so much for your responses and if you have any other clothing tips that would be great!

1. If you can see your booking in ‘My Account’ on the Princess website, the Itinerary page there will tell you how many formal nights there are. At a guess I’d say 2 on a 10 day cruise.

2. whether you wear full formal clothing or not is really down to you. Just follow the general rules such as no shorts in the restaurants, you’ll be fine.in all dining venues.

3. No need for formal clothes in the buffet

4. Formal nights tend to be on sea days, but it will be confirmed once you’re on board what nights they’re on.

5.As a Brit, I’d wear the same for formal nights in all climates - the air con in the restaurants can be a bit ferocious for me!

Whether you choose to dress to the nines or not, enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sun Queen II said:

Two.

It's suggested but not enforced if you don't wish to comply.

Any dress will do short of a wet bathing suit which requires a cover up as well as shoes of some sort.

Yes. They'll email you prior leaving. 

I ALWAYS bring my sweat shirt to the DR. I get cold and the AC gets drafty.

See above.

7 minutes ago, c-boy said:

huh, purple! so your feeling romantic 😆

e-Ítaca - COLOURS AND MOOD

I knew there was another reason I don’t wear white. Pure simple & calm? Triple whammy of things I’m not 😆 

that and I’m dyspraxic and it makes me terribly clumsy. That white dress would have stains on it less that 60 seconds after I start eating

It would be white, gold & the MDR special! 😜 

• Haha 1