NCL AIR

brer111

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Go directly to Delta with your Delta number and you can.

Just reread your info, sounds like its the other way around with Delta first. Still double check that you've got the right number on Virgin's website directly - not Delta even though they're the ones 'operating it'. 

Thank you. Yes, I've tried both Virgin Atlantic and Delta with their respective record locator numbers and neither will allow me to choose seats. I keep checking hoping that I'll be able to, but so far I've not been able to. When I called Delta the rep said I couldn't choose seats because it was a Virgin ticket, but I don't think that's the case. I think it has to do entirely with the segments being basic economy. I'll just be happy to be on the flights! 

• Like 1

My concern with norwegian air is i understand i could get a redeye from vancouver to east coast if booked through them. I’m wondering if i book a 2 day deviation i’m more likely to get a regular flight as thats a friday and less busy. Isn’t orlando where disneyworld is%-that would be fun! Oops forgot leaves from port caneveral-maybe something there.

If you book online do you just let them know by phone you want the deviation?

Edited by latebuyer

NCL just put out a warning for Europe-bound passengers on the impact of airline workers strikes in Italy.  

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-advises-guests-of-strike-impact/106555

In a marketing-driven world of everything-is-wonderful, I appreciate NCL warning about that.  My last attempted (and failed) cruise was a nightmare because of the airline.  

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, omahabob said:

Don't the airlines take 'ownership' of the ticket a certain number of days from the flight date, which allows them more leeway to make changes?

If this is an international flight, there may not be a first class. I run into that all the time. Sorry sir, only business class on this flight. So, I book business. And where do we sit? In the first class section. They just rename it for international flights. Go figure. But it's usually cheaper, so I don't complain.

I could not change to an earlier flight on Virgin the day of from London even though the airlines were very OK with it.

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. Are checked bags extra?

Depends on the airline and where you're going. But generally, yes. NCL doesn't include bags for you - so it would be dependent upon the airline they book you on. Most airlines give you checked bags free on international flights. If you have status with an airline you are able to put in that reward number when you manage your booking on their website.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, latebuyer said:

9 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. Do people find norwegian generally leaves a decent amount of time to get to the airport the day you are leaving or is it better to get a 1 day variance at the end.

Our flights next month include one checked bag and one carryon per person.  It depends on which airline ends up being booked.  Some airlines don't include any baggage and others permit one or two.  When you get your air confirmation from NCL Air, contact the airline(s) to book your seats (NCL doesn't book your seats), then check your booking for baggage information.

DW & I always plan to stay one night post cruise even if we book our own flights directly with an airline.  It makes for a much less stressful trip home.  People we met on our last cruise, ended up having to pay for a night in our hotel due to their flight being delayed thereby missing their next connection.  It made for a stressful situation all the way around.  (There's no guarantee this wouldn't happen the day after you disembark though...)

On 7/15/2023 at 2:46 PM, Daniel A said:

I am hoping that your statement about 'bagging' on NCL Air wasn't directed to me or my posts. 

It was just a general statement, it had nothing to do with you in particular. As Julig22 pointed out, many people have an opinion without experience. First hand experience is fine. 
The OP started off by pointing out they know all about NCL Air good and BAD. That's what prompted my comment. I know much of the bad is "well, I heard...or I would never..." It's not helpful. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 3:48 PM, latebuyer said:

It depends on where you are going. Domestic flights, yes. However, we each had one free bag for Panama. I think it's an airline thing moreso than NCL. We flew United there and Delta back. 

We did NCL air in 2022 Denver to Hawaii with 2 day deviation (went to Honolulu 2 days in advance of cruise) and had no problems. Direct flight, good arrival and departure times. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 9:31 PM, omahabob said:

We don't use NCL Air.

...but still felt the need to chime in on a topic from someone who clearly made an informed decision to use NCL air and asked about the experiences of others who made the same choice. I too booked a 2 day deviation for international cruise recently and would actually like to hear from those who have done it. I already know why I made the decision I made and thanks to so many topics/posts on CC why so many of you do not to use the BOGO. It would be nice if those who do could discuss specifics without the naysayers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 7/16/2023 at 12:56 PM, NCMtnBoys said:

Thank you. Yes, I've tried both Virgin Atlantic and Delta with their respective record locator numbers and neither will allow me to choose seats. I keep checking hoping that I'll be able to, but so far I've not been able to. When I called Delta the rep said I couldn't choose seats because it was a Virgin ticket, but I don't think that's the case. I think it has to do entirely with the segments being basic economy. I'll just be happy to be on the flights! 

Delta is really finnicky about changes. I fly with them alot because the family member I fly with has tons of miles so she gets alot of upgrades and preferential treatment. Even for her, you have to purchase certain fare classes of tickets to be able to upgrade them (which isn't immediately obvious even when booking direct- she always calls them). And it is more difficult/impossible to upgrade your ticket class when flying on a partner airline. That is probably what you are running into. Your ticket was booked as basic economy, so you couldn't pick your seats. You want to upgrade to a main cabin ticket so you can, but it's with a partner airline. We have run into this before in Europe. All you can really do is show up on the day of and see if you can upgrade/choose seats with the gate agent. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:16 AM, Uff da said:

I get so sick of people bagging on NCL air. We've done it 3 times in the last year with great success and zero issues, including a flight to Panama and back. If you can go with the flow it can save you a lot of money and there is nothing wrong with that. If you want to pay twice as much, fine. Do it. 

As for the OP's original question, we always deviate 2 days everywhere we go. We research and book our own hotels and any transportation needed. It's not hard and it's really nice to visit the embakation city prior to the cruise. We've had no issues...Orlando, Seattle, Panama with more to come. Fear not and have fun!

Happy sailing! 

And I'm sure that works great when everything works they way it's supposed to. The problem is when it doesn't. Your options are much more limited than booking direct.

We booked a vacation package with hotel, flights, and insurance through a travel agency. We arrived at the airport for our flight and after sitting there for 2-3 hours it was cancelled. They couldn't get on us another flight that day; so we ended up booking a one way with another airline. We called the original airline first and asked if we could get a refund for half the ticket since they cancelled the flight. They said we could. The problem came up when we went to request our refund. Since our flight was booked through a package, we didn't have a line item for what the airfare was worth. And the airline ended up valuing the flight at much less than going rate and what we believed we paid for it. We didn't have much recourse. Luckily, the insurance stepped in and made up the difference. 

• Like 1

Do you think if you’re from canada and have to go through us customs you would request a day deviation on way back? Or are they good about taking that in account? Also i asked this in another thread but i’m wondering if your airfare is fixed at time of your initial payment or if it could change. I’m not clear on that.

9 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Do you think if you’re from canada and have to go through us customs you would request a day deviation on way back? Or are they good about taking that in account? Also i asked this in another thread but i’m wondering if your airfare is fixed at time of your initial payment or if it could change. I’m not clear on that.

I've been told that it could change if you make changes and the current cost of airfare is higher.  But I have been in that situation twice now - just repriced a cruise today where the airfare increased - and my airfare did not change. Your mileage may vary.

Your airfare cost is fixed when you book and would only possibly be subject to change if you alter your reservation.

As to customs, I'm not understanding what US/Canadian customs has to do with a deviation?

On 7/14/2023 at 8:27 PM, kessdarln said:

Which airline to Hawaii? Thank you. 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:33 PM, omahabob said:

We usually use Delta to Hawaii.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:31 PM, omahabob said:

We don't use NCL Air.

2 hours ago, Reese15233 said:

...but still felt the need to chime in on a topic from someone who clearly made an informed decision to use NCL air and asked about the experiences of others who made the same choice. I too booked a 2 day deviation for international cruise recently and would actually like to hear from those who have done it. I already know why I made the decision I made and thanks to so many topics/posts on CC why so many of you do not to use the BOGO. It would be nice if those who do could discuss specifics without the naysayers.

@Reese15233 - If you look at the thread again, what @omahabob was doing was to let someone else know which airline is good for Hawaii.  @omahabob responded that he likes Delta.  Less than an hour later, @omahabob clarified that he doesn't use NCL Air to secure his Delta flights to Hawaii.  I didn't see any of his posts as being a naysayer, but even if he was being a naysayer his opinion is just as valid as anyone else's and nobody has the right to say he cannot post on any thread as long as it is within the community guidelines.  This thread is not an "NCL Air Cheerleaders Only" thread.  Also, your concerns were about international flights and last time I checked, Pittsburgh to Hawaii isn't an international flight, so were your concerns of the appropriateness of @omahabob posts really warranted anyway?

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

Thanks julig22, i think thats what i recall in the other thread too that if there is a refare your airfare could change. To rephrase my other question, i guess i’m wondering on the last day if ncl gives you enough time to get to the airport/ go through customs.

Also, can people speak to if they’ve done a red eye what they thought about it? I’m debating between mexico and caribbean. With caribbean ncl airfare costs 400.00 which is dirt cheap. The catch is there is a possibility its a red eye flight. It may be a bit of a tangent but i think its related as ncl can give these red eye flights. I wouldn’t take one otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

@Reese15233 - If you look at the thread again, what @omahabob was doing was to let someone else know which airline is good for Hawaii.  @omahabob responded that he likes Delta.  Less than an hour later, @omahabob clarified that he doesn't use NCL Air to secure his Delta flights to Hawaii.  I didn't see any of his posts as being a naysayer, but even if he was being a naysayer his opinion is just as valid as anyone else's and nobody has the right to say he cannot post on any thread as long as it is within the community guidelines.  This thread is not an "NCL Air Cheerleaders Only" thread.  Also, your concerns were about international flights and last time I checked, Pittsburgh to Hawaii isn't an international flight, so were your concerns of the appropriateness of @omahabob posts really 

So am I not entilted to state an opinion? Did I violate the guidelines?Also, did I say anything about anyone else's right to opinions or expression of them? Did I merely respond with my own? Even when way off topic, is that not the point of discussion boards? Cheerleading?? As for appropriateness, the topic is Ncl air not flights to Hawaii or any of this nonsense.  Perhaps I am not the only one with questionable reading comprehension skills?

22 minutes ago, Reese15233 said:

Also, did I say anything about anyone else's right to opinions or expression of them? 

Well, yes, in fact you did.  I don't want to get into a pi^^*ng match over this, but what you said to @omahabob was:  "still felt the need to chime in on a topic....It would be nice if those who do could discuss specifics without the naysayers."

I'm thinking that was exactly what you were writing.  You may wish to re-read what you wrote.  If I offended you with my response to your comments, I am truly sorry to hear you took offense.  Please enjoy your participation of Cruise Critic, it is a great platform for exchanges of ideas and suggestions.  ☺️

• Like 1