First Timer Planning AUS/NZ and would Appreciate your Insight

Legend has it that Mel, in his efforts to keep costs down and revenues up would save all the leftovers from the night before and pour them into a single container. Port, brandy, wine, you name it, Mel saved them all and experimented with various brewing techniques. Dr. Jurd’s Jungle Juice was created. This was eventually followed by a “spirited” marketing campaign. But, you could only obtain this special drop at Mel Jurd’s Wollombi Wine Bar, which stands by the old convict built Great North Road about 100 miles north west of Sydney town. The product has remained the trademark for the establishment ever since.

And he was related to me via marriage to one of mums cousins.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Legend has it that Mel, in his efforts to keep costs down and revenues up would save all the leftovers from the night before and pour them into a single container. Port, brandy, wine, you name it, Mel saved them all and experimented with various brewing techniques. Dr. Jurd’s Jungle Juice was created. This was eventually followed by a “spirited” marketing campaign. But, you could only obtain this special drop at Mel Jurd’s Wollombi Wine Bar, which stands by the old convict built Great North Road about 100 miles north west of Sydney town. The product has remained the trademark for the establishment ever since.

And he was related to me via marriage to one of mums cousins.

The bold bit ceased being exclusive decades ago. I used to buy it in the bottle shop of David Jones in Newcastle in the early 80's. Pre-covid, I bought a bottle from the cellar at Drayton's and it is available on their website as well. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, crewsgirl said:

oh, Blackduck.....I am still looking at the options. Seems I read another thread that discussed Qantos airfare, and prices weren't as bad as I had imagined. What are your thoughts on Qantos? And you're right, we may be looking at 2025, to be honest. 

Please, continue the Jungle Juice information, I am enjoying the convo!  

Not sure where on the east coast you are located, but we flew Delta to Sydney in March of 2020.  There were quite a few options on times and connecting flights. We found the prices to be reasonable .  We also used the cruise company airline department to secure our flight and it gave us the ability to get a lower price up to balance due.  You might want to look into that too.  We did Princess and they offer EZAir. ( We chose the airline we wanted, times, and dates)  I'm not sure what other cruise lines offer.  I also flew Qantas and found them to be a very good airline.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2023 at 4:41 PM, sciencewonk said:

Yes.  I am originally from California where it is also called syrah, but it's the same grape.  I'm not positive, but I think Australia may be the only place that calls it shiraz.  By either name, I love the wine.

I'm currently working my way through a bottle of Piggs Peake (Pokolbin) Feral Pig. Good stuff.

https://www.vivino.com/AU/en/piggs-peake-feral-pig/w/9439381

• Like 3

On 6/30/2023 at 3:14 PM, BRANDEE said:

Regarding your plan to stop in Hawaii to get use to time change:

We flew from NYC to LAX had a 4 hr layover and than on to Sydney.  We were not as tired as you might think.  We checked into the hotel, had a shower, lunch and spent the rest of the day touring.  A stop in Hawaii for two days really isn't necessary and would give you more time in Sydney.  ( You will be confused what day since somewhere over the ocean we lost a full day.  the time difference between NY and SDY was 16 nrs.)  Sydney area had a lot to do.  The Blue Mountains is a must and it is a full day tour. All my info regarding touring came from so many of the great Aussies here on CC. We toured for 6 days then a two week cruise to NZ.  You will need to pack layers especially for the cruise.  South NZ was chilly.  And at night on the cruise the Aussies were dressed , some even in formal attire.  BTW we were in our late 60's and early 70's at time of cruise

I always find (apparently this is borne out by research) jet lag is worse going from West to East and not so noticeable the other way - so it would mean the trip home to the US is worse than the flight to AU. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

I always find (apparently this is borne out by research) jet lag is worse going from West to East and not so noticeable the other way - so it would mean the trip home to the US is worse than the flight to AU. 

That's my experience also.

• Like 1

Desperate for some quick help here. If you are on the Eurodam sailing from Sydney to Auckland, do I want to choose Port or Starboard cabin location to view the Fijords? I know its a small detail, but I want to be on the correct side of the ship. I am going to try to book it!

The three fjords you go through are Milford, Doubtful and Dusky.  The last two have more than one entrance and exit, so you don't go up and back. Milford, you go in the only entrance, up and do a U turn and go back out the same way you came in.  

If you have a balcony, you get to see both sides in Milford, but not in the other two.  Milford is better seen from outside your cabin at the start, because the entrance is a very grand, so worthwhile going up on deck so you can look forward. After that, you'll see both sides from your cabin.

The other two sounds, you will see different views from port or starboard, but both are good.  Travelling between them along the south coast, you will see land only on the port side.

I don't think port or starboard makes much difference really. I was in a starboard cabin, and just went up on deck for some of the views on the port side.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, crewsgirl said:

Desperate for some quick help here. If you are on the Eurodam sailing from Sydney to Auckland, do I want to choose Port or Starboard cabin location to view the Fijords? I know its a small detail, but I want to be on the correct side of the ship. I am going to try to book it!

Going Sydney to Auckland, I would go for port side, mostly for the coastal views when approaching/departing each fjord. For the fiords themselves, best viewed up on deck or get a forward facing view - bear in mind that the Crows Nest and Tamarind Bar are likely to have all the good seats taken before breakfast.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Going Sydney to Auckland, I would go for port side, mostly for the coastal views when approaching/departing each fjord. For the fiords themselves, best viewed up on deck or get a forward facing view - bear in mind that the Crows Nest and Tamarind Bar are likely to have all the good seats taken before breakfast.

ahhh, good to know. thank you! we will be up early!

8 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

The three fjords you go through are Milford, Doubtful and Dusky.  The last two have more than one entrance and exit, so you don't go up and back. Milford, you go in the only entrance, up and do a U turn and go back out the same way you came in.  

If you have a balcony, you get to see both sides in Milford, but not in the other two.  Milford is better seen from outside your cabin at the start, because the entrance is a very grand, so worthwhile going up on deck so you can look forward. After that, you'll see both sides from your cabin.

The other two sounds, you will see different views from port or starboard, but both are good.  Travelling between them along the south coast, you will see land only on the port side.

I don't think port or starboard makes much difference really. I was in a starboard cabin, and just went up on deck for some of the views on the port side.

this is also very helpful, thank you for your comments. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:06 PM, crewsgirl said:

Do you really mean Eurodam? Noordam will be down here for the 2023/24 season and then I believe Westerdam for 2024/25.

Edited by boeckli