Overnight Port Stays

Rick&Jeannie

I hope I'm not wearing out my "welcome" here on the Celebrity board...I've got so many questions in regards to how Celebrity does things differently from what we're used to!

We've booked an Egypt/Israel cruise that has overnights in both Alexandria and Ashdod (Jerusalem).  We've never had an occasion to do an overnight port before.

How does Celebrity do this?  Do you return to the ship to sleep in your cabin...or (crazy idea!) can you stay on shore until the next day...returning only when the ship is setting sail?

There are a couple of VERY expensive excursions that are described as "multi-day" with included hotel arrangements...so it appears that there is at least a protocol in place.  Perhaps this is *only* available to the members of this excursion...?

You can either return to the ship, or you can spend the night off of the ship.  When we were there, we booked a private excursion with a hotel stay. 

I do not know if it is required, but we notified Guest Services we would be off of the ship overnight.

Edited by Texed

If the ship is overnight you can stay overnight in port or return to the ship the gangway is open the entire time. 
When we are no returning at night we tell the cabin attendant so they don’t waste time with the evening turn down service.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I hope I'm not wearing out my "welcome" here on the Celebrity board...I've got so many questions in regards to how Celebrity does things differently from what we're used to!

We've booked an Egypt/Israel cruise that has overnights in both Alexandria and Ashdod (Jerusalem).  We've never had an occasion to do an overnight port before.

How does Celebrity do this?  Do you return to the ship to sleep in your cabin...or (crazy idea!) can you stay on shore until the next day...returning only when the ship is setting sail?

There are a couple of VERY expensive excursions that are described as "multi-day" with included hotel arrangements...so it appears that there is at least a protocol in place.  Perhaps this is *only* available to the members of this excursion...?

Make sure you have your passports (not copies) as many hotels require to see these at check in. 

Also have your medical insurance details and the phone number of the Celebrity Agent at the port.

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

When are you sailing, September 2024?

Did this in La Spezia last month and overnighted in Florence. Made train and lodging arrangements in advance. Notifying Celebrity isn't required but is recommended.

It was wonderful being able to leisurely explore the city at a more relaxed pace. A backpack with a change of clothes and essentials were all that was needed.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:34 PM, Texed said:

I do not know if it is required, but we notified Guest Services we would be off of the ship overnight.

Even if not required, it's definitely a good idea to. In the unlikely event of an emergency, it would be horrible to have crew and/or emergency personnel risking their lives to find you when all it would have taken was a quick stop by Guest Services to let them know. (Same reason I always let my landlord know when I'm going to be out of town. I don't want emergency personnel risking their lives to find me if something horrible happens while I'm away.)