Bringing the JOY with as live-ish a review as the lousy wi-fi will allow: Bermuda 7/9-7/16!

Dorhead1230

Ahhhhh! In 48 hours, we’ll (hopefully) be boarding! Time to play Guess How Many Items Dorhead Has in Suitcases! Price is Right rules—closest without going over! And the winner is…

…whoever had zero! That’s right, nothing at all packed despite many good intentions lol. There are piles, so it’ll all migrate to suitcases eventually.

I am happy to announce, though, that I’m finally a cool kid and received emails to watch the safety video again. Only two emails, so perhaps not so cool.

Ok, off to do some packing! Just kidding! LM needs a haircut, so off to the barber. I better make sure I look super cute on Sunday, because I’ll be wearing those clothes for a week.

Edited by Dorhead1230
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Ahhhhh! In 48 hours, we’ll (hopefully) be boarding! Time to play Guess How Many Items Dorhead Has in Suitcases! Price is Right rules—closest without going over! And the winner is…

…whoever had zero! That’s right, nothing at all packed despite many good intentions lol. There are piles, so it’ll all migrate to suitcases eventually.

I am happy to announce, though, that I’m finally a cool kid and received emails to watch the safety video again. Only two emails, so perhaps not so cool.

Ok, off to do some packing! Just kidding! LM needs a haircut, so off to the barber. I better make sure I look super cute on Sunday, because I’ll be wearing those clothes for a week.

I'll be starting my piles in approximately 9 days!

My last 2 cruises I've become real good at not packing too much clothes. I spend some time thinking about what we'll be doing during the days (which is practically nothing) and knowing our dinner/show plans in the evening helps a lot too. I plan on 4 gym days, so I account for that too. Also, we had a club balcony suite last summer and we do again in 16 days and that provides us with the one free bag of laundry, so that comes into play with the packing. Hey, as long as I don't run out of underwear, I can successfully cruise!!

I'm really looking forward to all you have to say about Joy.

We had so much fun last summer on her and expect the same this year.

Have an epic time!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok now I’m a super-cool kid…another pair of safety video emails has arrived! For a moment, I thought to myself “Should I be using the link and watching them every time? Will we have a problem on Sunday when we check in?” Then I snapped back to reality and realized NCL can barely keep their website operating fully all the time, so I needn’t worry that they can somehow track who clicks the email video links 🤭.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@Dorhead1230

Loving your Live (pre) TR! 

Former teacher here, too.

A couple tips on your "extras" you pack.

I bought tiny ziplocs (snack bags could work too) & fill each one with meds to take up less space. 

I use a label maker to tag each one, but a sharpie would work too.

Also--no need to bring laundry detergent or dish detergent--soap at sink works just as well (seriously, there is VERY little differentiation between ingredients in various detergents/soaps)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

@Dorhead1230

Loving your Live (pre) TR! 

Former teacher here, too.

A couple tips on your "extras" you pack.

I bought tiny ziplocs (snack bags could work too) & fill each one with meds to take up less space. 

I use a label maker to tag each one, but a sharpie would work too.

Also--no need to bring laundry detergent or dish detergent--soap at sink works just as well (seriously, there is VERY little differentiation between ingredients in various detergents/soaps)

I used to take the blister cards out of all the boxes of meds and put them all in the little red first aid bag, and fill little bags with pills from the bottles, too. But then I realized we’d often end up leaving everything like that instead of putting it back away and using it up when we got home. So I started just playing Tetris with the boxes and bottles and get them to fit pretty well in a not-too-large zipper mesh bag. Because we’ve always sailed from NYC or Boston, we’ve always driven to our embarkation ports and although we try to keep our luggage reasonable, we also don’t make too much effort to squeeze into small suitcases. When the day comes that we finally fly to an embarkation port, then we’ll bust out all the space-saving tricks! 😊

You didn’t find the soap in the pump to leave any residue in cups or to be hard to wash out? I’d totally use it on clothes (not like much gets washed in the sink anyway—more for emergencies), but I just wouldn’t want any soapy taste in our cups.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

I used to take the blister cards out of all the boxes of meds and put them all in the little red first aid bag, and fill little bags with pills from the bottles, too. But then I realized we’d often end up leaving everything like that instead of putting it back away and using it up when we got home. So I started just playing Tetris with the boxes and bottles and get them to fit pretty well in a not-too-large zipper mesh bag. Because we’ve always sailed from NYC or Boston, we’ve always driven to our embarkation ports and although we try to keep our luggage reasonable, we also don’t make too much effort to squeeze into small suitcases. When the day comes that we finally fly to an embarkation port, then we’ll bust out all the space-saving tricks! 😊

You didn’t find the soap in the pump to leave any residue in cups or to be hard to wash out? I’d totally use it on clothes (not like much gets washed in the sink anyway—more for emergencies), but I just wouldn’t want any soapy taste in our cups.

I have never had issues using hand soap for washing out a cup or clothing--works quite well actually!

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:18 PM, mking8288 said:

If you have trouble posting, log in quickly (start the countdown on airtime minutes used AND log into your CC account, then sign or log out of ship's inTERnet - make sure the summary screen pop-up & you stopped the meter.  Then, continue to browse and post on CC.  Otherwise, you might run into issues posting on CC for free.  

Thanks for this tip, it worked for me. I could get the main CC site to load with the free ship Wi-Fi on Joy, but not the boards. I logged into my Wi-Fi package and loaded the boards then logged out again. Now it’s working like a charm!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, weisla said:

Thanks for this tip ... working like a charm!

Pssst ... this "trick" worked well recently on the Sun, Getaway and Epic.  Can't "vouch" personally or directly on the Prima - will check this on the Escape soon, LOL.   Well, it's also device/hardware "dependent" on how/what I ("we") use to connect onboard optimally ... not with older iOS or Android gadgets running 802.11n as those are a bit "dated" to get 6 to 7 Mbps download when the servers aren't too busy with 2,000+ souls connecting at sea.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Well, well... I followed you on the Getaway this spring b/c we were doing the same trip a couple weeks later... and now I get to follow you on the Joy to Bermuda.  Thanks again for doing this.  I really appreciate it and look forward to reading!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier…the stress of packing really must have gotten to me 😅. I’m pasting it here for posterity:

Diligently avoided all distractions today, and everyone was completely packed with suitcases zipped up and locked at 9:42 PM! Huzzah! Aiming to head out in the morning around 10 AM (we’re only 50 miles from the terminal). Doesn’t look like the best weather for tomorrow, but the forecasts around here have not been very accurate lately where rain is concerned, so maybe it’ll turn out better than the forecast says!

In addition, let it be known that I received no less than 4 safety video emails today…I think I’ll just walk around all day tomorrow (omg wait no! It’s today! I better go to sleep lol) wearing my life jacket to prove I was a good student.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

So I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier…the stress of packing really must have gotten to me 😅. I’m pasting it here for posterity:

Diligently avoided all distractions today, and everyone was completely packed with suitcases zipped up and locked at 9:42 PM! Huzzah! Aiming to head out in the morning around 10 AM (we’re only 50 miles from the terminal). Doesn’t look like the best weather for tomorrow, but the forecasts around here have not been very accurate lately where rain is concerned, so maybe it’ll turn out better than the forecast says!

In addition, let it be known that I received no less than 4 safety video emails today…I think I’ll just walk around all day tomorrow (omg wait no! It’s today! I better go to sleep lol) wearing my life jacket to prove I was a good student.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!

• Thanks 1

We actually left on time! This may not seem like much of an accomplishment for 3 grown adults, but for this family it is lol. We’re very punctual people for appointments, family functions, etc. but for trips and fun stuff we’re usually a disaster getting out of the house.

Now, we’re on the Northern State Pkwy. around exit 36 already and it looks like smooth sailing to the terminal!

• Like 4

Major crisis averted! LM has a doll (which he named baby Sam) who he sleeps with every night. I casually remarked to DH that I hope LM doesn’t flip out when he finds out we decided not to take his stroller on this trip, and he suddenly looked at me with such horror in his eyes that I just gasped. He didn’t even have to say it—baby Sam was left at home. We decided it would be better to let the meltdown happen in the car rather than later on the ship. But we staved it off by telling him we’d stop at a store so he could pick a new friend to come on the cruise to sleep with. Luckily we were near Westbury (if you know the area, you know how many stores are there), so DH pulled into Walmart and LM and I ran in. He picked a stuffed Mickey Mouse and is very happy to take him on his adventures now. And thus we were pulled back from the brink of ruin 😅.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Dorhead1230 said:

We actually left on time! This may not seem like much of an accomplishment for 3 grown adults, but for this family it is lol. We’re very punctual people for appointments, family functions, etc. but for trips and fun stuff we’re usually a disaster getting out of the house.

Now, we’re on the Northern State Pkwy. around exit 36 already and it looks like smooth sailing to the terminal!

Sunday mornings are great for going to the pier from LI. I'll be coming from Smithtown in 14 days, but my group of 13 is meeting in Deer Park at 7:30am to start our journey as we like to board as early as possible! 

Have a fabulous time! 

Can't wait to hear all about it! 

• Like 1

Major crisis averted! LM has a doll (which he named baby Sam) who he sleeps with every night. I casually remarked to DH that I hope LM doesn’t flip out when he finds out we decided not to take his stroller on this trip, and he suddenly looked at me with such horror in his eyes that I just gasped. He didn’t even have to say it—baby Sam was left at home. We decided it would be better to let the meltdown happen in the car rather than later on the ship. But we staved it off by telling him we’d stop at a store so he could pick a new friend to come on the cruise to sleep with. Luckily we were near Westbury (if you know the area, you know how many stores are there), so DH pulled into Walmart and LM and I ran in. He picked a stuffed Mickey Mouse and is very happy to take him on his adventures now. And thus we were pulled back from the brink of ruin 😅.

I love this story.  we had the same thing with Snoopy.  we finally  got a backup Snoopy and eventually we just called them his "Guys ".  always had tuck in older guy first, then the newer guy.  (one tag was more worn than the other). 

Loving ❤️ the review.  have a safetrip!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Sunday mornings are great for going to the pier from LI. I'll be coming from Smithtown in 14 days, but my group of 13 is meeting in Deer Park at 7:30am to start our journey as we like to board as early as possible! 

Have a fabulous time! 

Can't wait to hear all about it! 

Ha! We’re from Smithtown, too!

13 minutes ago, cruiser52forever said:

I love this story.  we had the same thing with Snoopy.  we finally  got a backup Snoopy and eventually we just called them his "Guys ".  always had tuck in older guy first, then the newer guy.  (one tag was more worn than the other). 

Loving ❤️ the review.  have a safetrip!

So cute! And thank you!

Oh, my we understand this! 

DD had a soft doll (creatively named Baby)--we wisely bought another when it became her lovey, as we learned from DS1. We could wash it, not worry if it was lost, etc.

Bless that girl--she is 25 & Baby is still on her bed (at HER home!)

• Like 1

Thinking embarkation MDR lunch is once again a distant dream…never waited in a security line quite like this before. It was within a couple lanes of the end of the stanchions when we entered the terminal, and now that we’ve made it about halfway through, it’s pretty much all the way to the doors. We have observed that it looks like they’re periodically stopping the line in order to let the check-in lines go down, and then they let another stream of people through security. LM is being patient and getting a little antsy, and DH just keeps saying I told you we should have gotten here at 2…I am closing my eyes and silently repeating to myself that I’ll have a cocktail in my hand soon enough. 

• Like 4