Airport Timing - Barcelona

Bask

Hello:

Planning a Celebrity Cruise for 2024 that terminates in Barcelona. The ship arrives at 6am (not sure about embarkation time) and I am looking at potentially booking a 11am flight back to the US from Barcelona's airport - El Prat. Never been to Barcelona before...does the timing work? Are taxis or transfers the best way to go?

Thanks 

Flights by Celebrity is showing a 11:05 flight out of BCN for my March TA ending in BCN.   I believe 11 am would be the earliest.   Generally they start walk off (carry your own luggage) by 7:30.  Some of the earliest luggage tags by 8.  I believe the airport is about a 20-30 min taxi ride.

I would use a taxi and not wait for the transfer bus to fill up.

I would think it would be ok.

How many ships in port that day?  Is it a weekend?  The check-in/baggage lines and security at BCN can be long.  If you can carry your own luggage off and do as @wrk2cruise suggests and get a taxi.  You should be able to be at the airport around 8-8:15.  If you have to collect your luggage in the port terminal you will be getting to BCN close to 9 which IMO is pushing it for a international flight.

Barcelona is a wonderful day why not stay in Barcelona overnight and catch the 11 flight the next day. Less stress.

Yes to pre booking a private transfer to the airport.

Check on Viator and you will see them at a range of prices.

Do Not depend on a Taxi or a Ship shuttle for an 11AM flight.

To speed up your departure from the ship consider slepping your own bags off the ship if it's physically possible.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bask said:

Hello:

Planning a Celebrity Cruise for 2024 that terminates in Barcelona. The ship arrives at 6am (not sure about embarkation time) and I am looking at potentially booking a 11am flight back to the US from Barcelona's airport - El Prat. Never been to Barcelona before...does the timing work? Are taxis or transfers the best way to go?

Thanks 

We wouldn't even consider it.

Just one delay at any point and you are, to use an English term, stuffed.

Don't know about Barcelona but the minimum check in time for International flights in UK is 3 hours which would mean arriving at the airport by 08.00.

Relax and fly later.

11:00 departure from BCN airport is doable.

The area outside the cruise terminal is a bit chaotic on disembarkation day as taxis, buses and autos all converge in one area. Expect 10-15 minute taxi queues. Prebook a car. BCN is a city worth staying in for a day or two or more if you can swing it.

• 1 month later...

So tagging onto this thread instead of a new one.  Has anyone used the combo check in option at the Port of Barcelona?  The airport states that you can hand your bags over at the port and they will go to the airport.  Not available for all airlines but American is one of them.

"For passengers from a cruise and must to take a flight at Barcelona airport, Barcelona port facilities have 16 check-in desks intended for this operational Port-airport. The luggage is transferred directly to the airport, controlled by the automatic baggage handling system."