NCL stock? Newbie questions

LauraAnneC

Hi all, I’ve seen a few people mention that they have NCL Stock and I’m curious about this. I know less than zero about the stock market but am wondering if maybe I should invest. 

How much stock do you need to buy? What are the advantages? Can you give me a ballpark figure of what you need to spend to do this? 

I’d be very grateful for any info you can give me! I did try searching but didn’t find what I was looking for. 

Many thanks,

Laura

You need to own 100 shares.

By Friday's close price this would run you $2177. ($21.77/share)

That is near it's record high price the last year.

I just opened an Etrade account--took about a week to get money transferred in.

You then must submit a form & proof of ownership (I take screenshots).

I do this at least a month before leaving but it can be done later---you just never know for sure how long it will take.

Benefit:

$50 OBC 6 days or less

$100 OBC 7-14 days

$250 OBC 15+ days

• Thanks 1

If you own 100 or more shares of NCL stock you get non-refundable onboard credit for each cruise you take.  The amount varies from $50 to $250 per cabin depending on the length of the cruise.  See https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/shareholder-benefits.

You have to submit a form with proof of ownership.  It’s a great benefit.  The stock closed at $21.77 yesterday, so at today’s value it would cost $2177 to buy the stock.  You don’t have to prove that you still own the stock at time of sailing, only when you apply for the credit.  PersonLly, we’re way underwater on the stock - bought it years ago. But we’ve gotten thousands of dollars of OBC over the years.  I look at it as an untaxed dividend

• Thanks 1

Hi Laura

i have been cruising with NCL for years and finally purchased stocks.  
You need to purchase a minimum of 100 shares. Once you or your broker make the purchase you will get a receipt of purchase.  Keep this as you will need to send a photo of this or a recent statement for each cruise.

Once you have purchased stocks you can download NCL’s Shareholder Benefit Form which looks like this.  
IMG_4243.thumb.jpeg.313f20c483db312728a194fddb145a08.jpeg

Note that shares are per cabin, not per person. So, both my dad and have 100 shares. I thought we would each get $100 onboard credit. I was wrong. 

If you are doing a back to back cruise you need to submit the form for both cruises.

Shareholder onboard credit can be used in the gift shops, in the spa and salon, for specialty dining and for excursions that have not been prebooked/prepaid.  It can be used for beverage packages, extra cost beverages such as the espresso martini or for onboard experiences that have a fee such as Go Karts or whiskey tasting.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi Laura

Note that shares are per cabin, not per person. So, both my dad and have 100 shares. I thought we would each get $100 onboard credit. I was wrong. 

True.  It’s per cabin.  They divide the OBC among the people in the cabin.  I often travel with a friend.  We each have selerate accounts and our own charges are put on our separate credit cards, I own the stock,  but they give her half the credit.  LOL.  Not an issue.  We work it out between ourselves.  But be warned - this is how it works.  

Edited by Russiamomm
Typo
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

The shareholder benefit form needs to be submitted at least 15 days before the sail date.

Yes, bit there’s no similar requirement for how soon it can be submitted. We just booked a transatlantic for December.  Submitted the form and the credit was posted to the account within two days. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cjonthesea said:

For a 12 night TA cruise, $100 is the expected amount of OBC per cabin. However, a solo cruiser gets only $50 unless they pay 200% of fare. It's in the fine print. 

Huh.  I just did a 15 day solo cruise. And got my 250.00 OBC and I did t pay 200%.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Huh.  I just did a 15 day solo cruise. And got my 250.00 OBC and I did t pay 200%.  

That’s really interesting to know as I’m a solo cruiser so that would make a big difference to me. 

6 hours ago, Cjonthesea said:

For a 12 night TA cruise, $100 is the expected amount of OBC per cabin. However, a solo cruiser gets only $50 unless they pay 200% of fare. It's in the fine print. 

I’ve also travelled solo several times.  Sometimes in a studio and others in balconies.  I’ve never paid the full supplement and have always gotten the full credit.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KKB said:

You need to own 100 shares.

By Friday's close price this would run you $2177. ($21.77/share)

That is near it's record high price the last year.

I just opened an Etrade account--took about a week to get money transferred in.

You then must submit a form & proof of ownership (I take screenshots).

I do this at least a month before leaving but it can be done later---you just never know for sure how long it will take.

Benefit:

$50 OBC 6 days or less

$100 OBC 7-14 days

$250 OBC 15+ days

it may be at the high for last year, but is in the mid 50's prior to the market going down due to the pandemic.   It has been rising steadily the last few weeks, as more people have been travelling internationally, compared to mostly domestically last year.   I would expect (though not necessarily as fast as the last few weeks) for the stock to continue to grow as people travel farther and more often.  That will also assist in paying off the debt taken on during the pandemic.  If you can afford more than the 100 shares, maybe consider buying some to sell at a profit down the road.  I bought enough of NCL and Carnival to get the OBC and sell in the future to offset the 100 shares I plan on keeping for the OBC.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I’ve also travelled solo several times.  Sometimes in a studio and others in balconies.  I’ve never paid the full supplement and have always gotten the full credit.

I too have travelled solo several times, not paying double, and have always gotten the full OBC

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cjonthesea said:

I've done 17 cruises with the SH benefit, most with a reduced solo supplement.  Got the full SH amount on all but 1.  And I got a letter explaining why.  So it does happen but rarely.  In theory I understand but think if they are reducing the amount they should reduce it by the %, not just cut it in half.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. I may be confusing a $50 OBC with a different $100 OBC.  Even with using the Promo Code List posted in a separate topic here on CC, it's hard to figure out what's what, as they don't put the amounts next to the codes on the invoice.

Edited by Cjonthesea
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

True.  It’s per cabin.  They divide the OBC among the people in the cabin.  I often travel with a friend.  We each have selerate accounts and our own charges are put on our separate credit cards, I own the stock,  but they give her half the credit.  LOL.  Not an issue.  We work it out between ourselves.  But be warned - this is how it works.  

It doesn't have to be. If you aren't traveling with a spouse or partner just put a note on the application form that you want the OBC to all be posted to your account and not shared. I've done it before when I cruised with friends....my shares - my OBC!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peg013 said:

It doesn't have to be. If you aren't traveling with a spouse or partner just put a note on the application form that you want the OBC to all be posted to your account and not shared. I've done it before when I cruised with friends....my shares - my OBC!

Thanks!  I didn’t know that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Langham1865 said:

I would expect (though not necessarily as fast as the last few weeks) for the stock to continue to grow as people travel farther and more often. 

Not a fan of efficient market hypothesis?

• 2 weeks later...

I usually apply for my SH OBC as soon as I book, and as we book very early that can be 18-24 months out.  Never a problem, but on my most recent booking I got an email that I needed to reapply with a proof of shares not more than 90 days prior to cruising.  I find that reasonable but it is the first time I’ve had that happen.  it’s NCL, so of course, YMMV 😂

• Like 1

My son gave me shares for Christmas a few years ago - I cruise enough that i

I've gotten more than what he paid in benefits. As far as stocks are concerned i don't think its a huge advantage to a portfolio, but for me its the gift that keeps on giving...and since that benefit is available I haven't booked on another line since i got this stock, so it good for NCL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I usually apply for my SH OBC as soon as I book, and as we book very early that can be 18-24 months out.  Never a problem, but on my most recent booking I got an email that I needed to reapply with a proof of shares not more than 90 days prior to cruising.  I find that reasonable but it is the first time I’ve had that happen.  it’s NCL, so of course, YMMV 😂

Interesting. Applied 4 mos. prior & it quickly posted!

• Like 1