Suggestions on 2024-2025 transatlantic round trip

We are ready for a transatlantic trip. My preference would be leave the states go to Europe stay a few days or longer and then cruise back to the states. I’ve been reading forums and looking at cruises from different lines and my eyes are crossing. I am hoping maybe a few of you have something like this booked and can help narrow my search. We usually cruise NCL or Royal Caribbean but will entertain almost anything. This may be the only time I can get my husband to do such a long trip so I want to see as much as I can. Any guidance would be so appreciated. 

Edited by Welk
Timeframe

• Welk changed the title to Suggestions on 2024-2025 transatlantic round trip

It may be tricky finding a TA back to the USA in the spring   other than Cunard

Usually TA's  do not stop at many ports  but you could always  pick one that goes to Spain/Italy/Portugal/UK  then spend a week or so there touring

In addition to Cunard, you can also check out cargo ships that accept up to 12 pax. Another potential option is the Sydney based Princess World Cruise segment, but that would require a few weeks in UK/Continent, as it is normally July.

11 hours ago, Welk said:

We are ready for a transatlantic trip. My preference would be leave the states go to Europe stay a few days or longer and then cruise back to the states. I’ve been reading forums and looking at cruises from different lines and my eyes are crossing. I am hoping maybe a few of you have something like this booked and can help narrow my search. We usually cruise NCL or Royal Caribbean but will entertain almost anything. This may be the only time I can get my husband to do such a long trip so I want to see as much as I can. Any guidance would be so appreciated. 

I will second [or third] the suggestion to look at Cunard for a transatlantic round trip itinerary.

So far we have done three round trip crossings, with different numbers of days between Southampton 'turn around' days [12 days for this past autumn, 4 days for our 2024 booking]. We book these as complete round trip sailings, so we only need to embark and unpack once.

With QM2 making frequent crossings [when she is not sailing a 'world cruise'] it is usually easy to arrange a pair of crossings with a land portion in-between of any desired duration [or paired with another line's 'repositioning cruise']

On our 2019 round trip, there were passengers on a 'Road Scholar' group booking with a 'D Day' focus - special lectures for the group on the eastbound crossing, Southampton disembarkation [with luggage storage], visits the D-Day sites in southeast England and Normandy while QM2 visited Hamburg then sailed to LeHavre in Normandy - then the Road Scholar group re-embarked in LeHavre for the westbound crossing back to Brooklyn.

• Like 3

We have done many TAs. They aren't round trips because we want to be in Europe longer than a RT would be.

I pick a TA itinerary I like on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity, then I look at Cunard's Queen Mary 2 crossings to see what will coordinate with the amount of time we want to spend abroad. Book both, and done. We have done Queen Mary 2 both East and West depending on what other travel we plan.

For 2024 we have them booked again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 8:53 PM, SPacificbound said:

For 2024 we have RC Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston to Barcelona.

We'll have 22 days in Europe, then Queen Mary 2 from Southampton UK to NYC. The only flight will be coming home from NY.

Do you use a tour company for Europe?

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

Do you use a tour company for Europe?

Most of our travel in Europe is on our own, and primarily by rail. That includes Europe and the UK. We just look at a map and say "where do we want to go this time". That is the plan for 2024, we come into Barcelona, which is one of our favorite cities. We haven't really plotted our path yet, other than I really want to go back to Belgium.

The exception to that has been Croatia and Turkey. I generally use Tours By Locals when we want a guide. In Croatia I wanted to go everywhere, so we did. 

We had been to Turkey as ports of call while cruising, but I really wanted to spend time in Istanbul, so in 2017 we spent 8 days in Istanbul and had a driver and a guide. It was an amazing trip, Istanbul is my very favorite cities in the world. 

We are in the 'older' range, 79 and 82. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

Most of our travel in Europe is on our own, and primarily by rail. That includes Europe and the UK. We just look at a map and say "where do we want to go this time". That is the plan for 2024, we come into Barcelona, which is one of our favorite cities. We haven't really plotted our path yet, other than I really want to go back to Belgium.

The exception to that has been Croatia and Turkey. I generally use Tours By Locals when we want a guide. In Croatia I wanted to go everywhere, so we did. 

We had been to Turkey as ports of call while cruising, but I really wanted to spend time in Istanbul, so in 2017 we spent 8 days in Istanbul and had a driver and a guide. It was an amazing trip, Istanbul is my very favorite cities in the world. 

We are in the 'older' range, 79 and 82. 

This will be our first trip other than the normal cruises to the Bahamas and Caribbean but the kids are all grown..we are early 50’s. 

• Like 1

I found a NCL JOY trip in Nov/December to Panama from Miami and back again. It’s two purchases/trips but back to back. I may have to start my husband off on something like that to break him in while I get the Europe trip worked out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Welk said:

I found a NCL JOY trip in Nov/December to Panama from Miami and back again. It’s two purchases/trips but back to back. I may have to start my husband off on something like that to break him in while I get the Europe trip worked out. 

I say whatever works, sometimes it's in little steps.  😀

On 7/1/2023 at 10:47 PM, Welk said:

I looked into R/T cruises to Europe and there are not a lot of option as most ships reposition to the Mediterranean in spring (mostly traveling late March and all of April) and return to the US in the fall (Mostly October and early November).   I couldn't figure out any other solution for R/T that didn't involve the QM2.   

So, in April 2024 we're taking RC Odyssey from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome and then the QM2 back to NY in late June.  That puts us on the ground in Europe about 7 weeks.   There was an earlier QM2 transatlantic to NY in June, that would have shortened the time on the ground to about 5 weeks.   But we figured what's another two weeks.   There was also a May 16 Southampton to NY that would have put us on the ground about 10 days, which wasn't enough time for all we want to do, but that might work for you as you mention staying in Europe a few days.   Maybe this would get your husband on board if it wasn't too much time in Europe?   

Originally, we really weren't too excited about the QM2, but the more we read and research, we are getting very excited.   Definitely a different experience than RC, which should be pretty fun.  I did a little research on the ocean shipper thing, but that was way too "rustic" and I don't think I could ever convince my SO that that was a viable mode of transportation.   

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 9:53 PM, SPacificbound said:

For 2024 we have RC Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston to Barcelona.

We'll have 22 days in Europe, then Queen Mary 2 from Southampton UK to NYC. The only flight will be coming home from NY.

we are also looking at doing this type of trip.  How are you getting from Barcelona to Southampton?

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

we are also looking at doing this type of trip.  How are you getting from Barcelona to Southampton?

There is a fast train from Barcelona to Paris (TGV Inoui) that takes about 6.5 hours  Service is twice a day, except for in summer when I think that there are three trains per day.  The Eurostar from Paris to London is about 2.5 hours.  The connection would be at Gare du Nord in Paris, so you wouldn't have to change train stations in Paris.     

You could always fly from Barcelona to London, but why not make your way northwest and visit Paris a couple of days and then London a couple of days and ultimately in Southampton....    

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

There is a fast train from Barcelona to Paris (TGV Inoui) that takes about 6.5 hours  Service is twice a day, except for in summer when I think that there are three trains per day.  The Eurostar from Paris to London is about 2.5 hours.  The connection would be at Gare du Nord in Paris, so you wouldn't have to change train stations in Paris.     

You could always fly from Barcelona to London, but why not make your way northwest and visit Paris a couple of days and then London a couple of days and ultimately in Southampton....    

For Barfinegan, you have a good point!

For us, we'll skip over France because we have been there many time on both land trips and cruise ships. We've spent less time in Germany, so probably Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, then London to Southampton for Queen Mary 2.

• Like 1

The connection would be at Gare du Nord in Paris, so you wouldn't have to change train stations in Paris

Sadly not correct.  The trains for Spain leave from Gare du Lyon, so if you came in from London to Gare du Nord, you do have to cross Paris for the onward journey

On 7/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, Joe33472 said:

I looked into R/T cruises to Europe and there are not a lot of option as most ships reposition to the Mediterranean in spring (mostly traveling late March and all of April) and return to the US in the fall (Mostly October and early November).   I couldn't figure out any other solution for R/T that didn't involve the QM2.   

So, in April 2024 we're taking RC Odyssey from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome and then the QM2 back to NY in late June.  That puts us on the ground in Europe about 7 weeks.   There was an earlier QM2 transatlantic to NY in June, that would have shortened the time on the ground to about 5 weeks.   But we figured what's another two weeks.   There was also a May 16 Southampton to NY that would have put us on the ground about 10 days, which wasn't enough time for all we want to do, but that might work for you as you mention staying in Europe a few days.   Maybe this would get your husband on board if it wasn't too much time in Europe?   

Originally, we really weren't too excited about the QM2, but the more we read and research, we are getting very excited.   Definitely a different experience than RC, which should be pretty fun.  I did a little research on the ocean shipper thing, but that was way too "rustic" and I don't think I could ever convince my SO that that was a viable mode of transportation.   

Joe this may work with the 10 day layover. Shorter layover is best because my husband isn’t keen on the whole idea of being away for so long. 

• Like 1

The OP is speaking my language :).  We love to plan and do this kind of trip.  But the OP does not give us enough info.  What kind of budget do we have, what months are OK, and just how long are you willing to stay in Europe.  So, for example, if we wanted to do this in 2024 here is one quick idea.  The Oceania Insignia has an excellent 27 night itinerary (Aug 5 2024) from Copenhagen to NYC.  One could simply use one of the Queen Mary 2 cruises (from NYC) to get to Europe, have some fun traveling in Europe, and make your way to Copenhagen for the return cruise.  And that is just one idea out of many,

Another more common option is to take one of the spring repositioning cruises (generally from Florida) to Europe, spend some time in Europe, and than make your way to either Hamburg or Southampton and catch the QM2 back to NYC.  

There are many options and its just a matter of time, money, and your spirit of adventure.

Hank

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Welk said:

Joe this may work with the 10 day layover. Shorter layover is best because my husband isn’t keen on the whole idea of being away for so long. 

Lot's of options for short stays in Europe.   QM2 would probably be part of that plan, at least one way, or perhaps round trip.   Happy planning. 

8 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

We have come East or West a bunch of times on QM2. No she is not a "cruise ship" in the sense of CC, RC, NCL, etc. She is a wonderful way to cross an ocean! 

Tell us what you mean about not being a “cruise ship.” I’m curious.  

On 7/16/2023 at 5:14 AM, Island2Dweller said:

The connection would be at Gare du Nord in Paris, so you wouldn't have to change train stations in Paris

Sadly not correct.  The trains for Spain leave from Gare du Lyon, so if you came in from London to Gare du Nord, you do have to cross Paris for the onward journey

As Welk said, QM2 is a true ocean liner. Their dress code is a little more upscale than RC, CC, etc.