Canadian Travel insurance following prostate treatment

Louise245

We have a cruise planned for October. My husband will receive radiotherapy for prostate treatment that will finish just before leaving for Europe.

Does anyone knows a travel insurance that will insure you in that situation. I understand that cancer would not be cover but anything else would?

1 minute ago, Louise245 said:

We have a cruise planned for October. My husband will receive radiotherapy for prostate treatment that will finish just before leaving for Europe.

Does anyone knows a travel insurance that will insure you in that situation. I understand that cancer would not be cover but anything else would?

Best to call an insurance company and ask 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Best to call an insurance company and ask 

That is my next step. I did a google search and there are many links and most seems to be from the US or UK. I am taking a chance that someone might know of a company.

Primelinkinsurance.ca 

Snowbirdinsurance.ca

Travelinsurance Plan.ca (cancer patients)

You can read these websites, get some ideas and learn quite a lot and then phone them.  It will be focused on your husband's exact situation. There are riders, exclusions, stability time periods and exclusions, different deductibles, waiver of pre-existing conditions. Quite a bit to learn :)

I would really appreciate knowing what you find:   rentalrichmond@gmail.com

Good luck to both of you: it is a slog!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Louise245 said:

That is my next step. I did a google search and there are many links and most seems to be from the US or UK. I am taking a chance that someone might know of a company.

It has been many years now but after cancer treatment we found a company that would insure- SBIS in Ontario, 1-800-667-0429.  Maybe give them a call and see.  

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, JoyMBee said:

Try Medi Pac endorsed by the Canadian Snowbird Association or Tour Med.  Medi Pac are very good at answering questions when you call.

I called MediPac. What I found is that, in our case, if the treatment is radiotherapy, he can be insured and there is no waiting period at the end of the treatment. If the treatment is chimio, he has to fill  a more in depth questionnaire that they send you by email and is sent to their  underwritten plan for evaluation.

They were very helpful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louise245 said:

I called MediPac. What I found is that, in our case, if the treatment is radiotherapy, he can be insured and there is no waiting period at the end of the treatment. If the treatment is chimio, he has to fill  a more in depth questionnaire that they send you by email and is sent to their  underwritten plan for evaluation.

They were very helpful.

Thank you, Louise! The no waiting period seems a bit unusual but just shows you do have to shop around.   Good for you.  Would be interested in knowing if the pricing is astronomically high or just high compared to obtaining normal travel insurance :)

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thank you, Louise! The no waiting period seems a bit unusual but just shows you do have to shop around.   Good for you.  Would be interested in knowing if the pricing is astronomically high or just high compared to obtaining normal travel insurance 🙂

I had heard of someone who left for Florida with travel insurance the day following his last radiotherapy treatment. This is what I am looking for. 
It is 650$ CDN for 19 days. 
This exclude any problem that might arise from the cancer but everything else is covered. Also that there is no metastase.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Louise245 said:

I had heard of someone who left for Florida with travel insurance the day following his last radiotherapy treatment. This is what I am looking for. 
It is 650$ CDN for 19 days. 
This exclude any problem that might arise from the cancer but everything else is covered. Also that there is no metastase.

Louise

Thank you so much.  This sounds reasonable since you are travelling soon after the end of treatment. I wish you a wonderful trip!

Hi Louise 

We were in this same situation in April of this year.  I can tell you that my husband was not ready to travel until 6 weeks after radiation treatment.  He was tired (among other side effects) all the time and he was so thankful we postponed our trip by 8 weeks time!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Hi Louise 

We were in this same situation in April of this year.  I can tell you that my husband was not ready to travel until 6 weeks after radiation treatment.  He was tired (among other side effects) all the time and he was so thankful we postponed our trip by 8 weeks time!

Hi Roxxy,

This is what I am now reading and realizing now. That no one reacts the same. Will have to cancel our cruise at the beginning of October and book something at the end of November.

21 hours ago, Louise245 said:

Hi Roxxy,

This is what I am now reading and realizing now. That no one reacts the same. Will have to cancel our cruise at the beginning of October and book something at the end of November.

Better to have an awesome vacation than fear of it not going best.  I trust you made a good decision.  I know we did.  

On 7/7/2023 at 9:19 AM, Roxxy said:

Hi Louise 

Thanks for your post!  How is your husband now? Did you have much added cost for insurance for the timeline you ultimately chose?

On 7/7/2023 at 1:35 PM, Louise245 said:

Hi Roxxy,

Louise

Please let us know how it goes for you and your husband.  This is such an informative thread you started and we thank you for that :)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is totally fine.  Finished Treatments in March.  Lingering symptoms from continuing hormone injections are low energy (can still do somewhat the same activities but needs to rest inbetween), and hot sweats.  Injections will continue until May of next year.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

My husband is totally fine.  Finished Treatments in March.  Lingering symptoms from continuing hormone injections are low energy (can still do somewhat the same activities but needs to rest inbetween), and hot sweats.  Injections will continue until May of next year.

Hi, Roxxy

This sounds pretty good news for you. Radiation and hormone therapy seems the best bet.  I understand you did cruise, though.  How did that go?  

On 7/24/2023 at 1:42 PM, SilvertoGold said:

Hi, Roxxy

This sounds pretty good news for you. Radiation and hormone therapy seems the best bet.  I understand you did cruise, though.  How did that go?  

Cruise went great! No concerns at all.  We did not purchase additional medical or any type of insurance.

3 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Cruise went great! No concerns at all.  We did not purchase additional medical or any type of insurance.

Good to hear that all went well.  Interesting about the insurance.  I know it is a real hassle, very expensive, very time-consuming and frustating.

Best wishes!