WE MADE THE SWITCH TO SIMPLY MORE! A PERFECT FIT FOR US!

stonepebble

We are just getting ready for our first O cruise sailing this month. We are so excited! 

We had already booked Nautica for Aug '24. We couldn't wait to book on board as the ship virtually sold out very quickly! So for that sailing we made the switch!

Yes, it is $400/pp more for us (vs original price without O Life...and no sales), but for us the value is great...

We like each of us to have internet for seas days to catch up on things, go over our upcoming port plans, take care of travel that might need to be done right away, etc. On port days if there are things that need tended to we both need to be on at exactly the same time.

So saving the cost of the 2nd internet. I think I read it is typically $30 per day...if so that's $300 right there!

On cruises we will have 1 cocktail before dinner so will try to do the 2 for 1. Other than that we only drink wine with dinner so it will be a big savings for us to not have to purchase wine. I had O email me the current list and I think we will be fine with the options.

We usually end up doing a combo of private (mostly) and ship tours and if our upcoming cruise is any indication we will use up the allotted excursion budget very quickly!

I think we are going to really enjoy Oceania!! And that Simply More will work very well for us!

Chris

PS-When we first started looking at Oceania pricing for our upcoming sailing it was very confusing to me! The more I played around with the options & asked questions I understood it but it took some work...maybe that's what O is trying to avoid.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, stonepebble said:

We are just getting ready for our first O cruise sailing this month. We are so excited! 

We had already booked Nautica for Aug '24. We couldn't wait to book on board as the ship virtually sold out very quickly! So for that sailing we made the switch!

Yes, it is $400/pp more for us (vs original price without O Life...and no sales), but for us the value is great...

We like each of us to have internet for seas days to catch up on things, go over our upcoming port plans, take care of travel that might need to be done right away, etc. On port days if there are things that need tended to we both need to be on at exactly the same time.

So saving the cost of the 2nd internet. I think I read it is typically $30 per day...if so that's $300 right there!

On cruises we will have 1 cocktail before dinner so will try to do the 2 for 1. Other than that we only drink wine with dinner so it will be a big savings for us to not have to purchase wine. I had O email me the current list and I think we will be fine with the options.

We usually end up doing a combo of private (mostly) and ship tours and if our upcoming cruise is any indication we will use up the allotted excursion budget very quickly!

I think we are going to really enjoy Oceania!! And that Simply More will work very well for us!

Chris

PS-When we first started looking at Oceania pricing for our upcoming sailing it was very confusing to me! The more I played around with the options & asked questions I understood it but it took some work...maybe that's what O is trying to avoid.

Congratulations.  It sounds like you made the right decision and it's win-win.  BTW, the cost of the 2nd internet package would have been $25 per day...but still a good savings.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stonepebble said:

On cruises we will have 1 cocktail before dinner so will try to do the 2 for 1.

Back in the day we could get that 2 for 1 at happy hour and each of us have 1 drink. Unless things have changed, now the 2 for 1 is per person - no sharing.  just a heads up ~

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, goletans said:

Back in the day we could get that 2 for 1 at happy hour and each of us have 1 drink. Unless things have changed, now the 2 for 1 is per person - no sharing.  just a heads up ~

Oh No! Thank you for letting me know....no way I could have 2 cocktails and then wine with dinner...

My husband would have to carry me back to the cabin!

Chris

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, goletans said:

That is correct.

58 minutes ago, goletans said:

I wasn't aware of this. In June we each had 2 happy hour drinks and then "shared" a third 2 for 1 drink (so 3 drinks each at 2 for 1 happy hour). Did the restriction start more recently, or was this a case of the bartender not making a fuss?

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I wasn't aware of this. In June we each had 2 happy hour drinks and then "shared" a third 2 for 1 drink (so 3 drinks each at 2 for 1 happy hour). Did the restriction start more recently, or was this a case of the bartender not making a fuss?

Just a generous bartender.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Just a generous bartender.

How was this new information delivered to you (e.g. orally, in print)? The ad in Currents still says place, time, and "2 of the same drink for the price of 1 applies to the Bar Menu drinks only."

30 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

How was this new information delivered to you (e.g. orally, in print)? The ad in Currents still says place, time, and "2 of the same drink for the price of 1 applies to the Bar Menu drinks only."

In the past  we did have 2 of the same drink  without issue  but  I drink wine & DH prefers & G & T  so we have not gotten the  same  2 for 1   in recent years

Just ask the waiter  if you can do the same drink for  HH   I am sure they do not care

40 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Good question.  Really not new information, but just word of mouth, which has no credibility, especially on CC 😉.   Our server always brought one at a time, but I guess I thought that was the norm.  In reality, why would they care?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, stonepebble said:

4 hours ago, stonepebble said:

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the pricing confusing.  Not just Oceania, but most of these lines are advertising a price that may or may not carry forward when you start  the booking process and the included airfare is really confusing.  It'd been a bit off-putting so I've decided to holdoff for a while until I have time to start decyphering these offers and make a few phone calls.  Thanks for the post!

Do not let the 2 for 1 Happy Hour reported requirements get to you, no big deal. Whenever we arrive, 5-5:30, DW orders her Villa Maria white wine, one arrives and she sips. About 6:00 the server comes bye and she takes delivery of her “second”. Sometimes that glass even makes its way to the restaurant of choice for the evening OR more sips and it is GONE.  If she takes delivery of both at the same time, I can assist her in sipping 😇👍. If I opt for a Big O Martini or something else or just a glass of Sparkling Water, it is no big deal and the Server’s are very accommodating. After the first night if we particularly liked our “attentive” server, we will confirm their location the next evening and by day two, we have a new best friend with a bottle of wine caring for us and delivering the HH salty snacks or post 6:00 appetizers.  Sometimes you even have to “taste” the wine to be sure it is of your liking before allowing them to fill the glass or maybe kill a bottle. 
For us, HH drinks for two is in the $25-28 range including the gratuity. We always have plenty of SBC to spend and what better way than to socialize and watch the world go bye. Some nice music and singer in Horizons and the always nice but definitely busier, Martini’s bar with the piano player. You can even catch the String Quartet playing a bit later in the evening outside the GDR. Lots of fun meeting new guests and making new friends. 
Just Enjoy, you are on vacation and if you are new to Oceania, welcome because you are now family. 🤪🙏🛳️

Mauibabes

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Do not let the 2 for 1 Happy Hour reported requirements get to you, no big deal. Whenever we arrive, 5-5:30, DW orders her Villa Maria white wine, one arrives and she sips. About 6:00 the server comes bye and she takes delivery of her “second”. Sometimes that glass even makes its way to the restaurant of choice for the evening OR more sips and it is GONE.  If she takes delivery of both at the same time, I can assist her in sipping 😇👍. If I opt for a Big O Martini or something else or just a glass of Sparkling Water, it is no big deal and the Server’s are very accommodating. After the first night if we particularly liked our “attentive” server, we will confirm their location the next evening and by day two, we have a new best friend with a bottle of wine caring for us and delivering the HH salty snacks or post 6:00 appetizers.  Sometimes you even have to “taste” the wine to be sure it is of your liking before allowing them to fill the glass or maybe kill a bottle. 
For us, HH drinks for two is in the $25-28 range including the gratuity. We always have plenty of SBC to spend and what better way than to socialize and watch the world go bye. Some nice music and singer in Horizons and the always nice but definitely busier, Martini’s bar with the piano player. You can even catch the String Quartet playing a bit later in the evening outside the GDR. Lots of fun meeting new guests and making new friends. 
Just Enjoy, you are on vacation and if you are new to Oceania, welcome because you are now family. 🤪🙏🛳️

Mauibabes

What Salty snacks" are served? This will be our first O cruise. Love snacking with cocktails.

Usually we see pretzel’s or potato chips, or mixed nuts brought to your table by the server when they are taking your drink order and they will refill if you have the munchies.  If you are in a PH, your Butler will bring you a variety of appetizers and one of those options can be mixed nuts. Bring a few baggies with you on the trip and pour any remaining room snacks into a  bag as that can help get you through a long shore excursion on a following day. 

If you are a cold water drinker and need ice water on tours, consider bringing your own insulated flask because the ship provided flasks are not well insulated and sweat a lot. Your Room Steward can be instructed to keep your ice bucket filled a couple times a day so you can fill your water bottle or make your own drinks. There are also water filling stations all over the ship and a waiter will refill it for you at a restaurant. 
Also, if you are a soda drinker, Coke products are under contract in the Staterooms but if a Pepsi drinker, advise your TA or Oceania Rep to have your soda of choice in your refrigerator in lieu of Coke. If specific mixes, Ginger Ale or other drinks are needed, let Oceania know in advance of your sailing. The Staff Store can procure any special items for a guests needs. 

Enjoy your cruise and welcome to the family.

Mauibabes

8 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Usually we see pretzel’s or potato chips, or mixed nuts brought to your table by the server when they are taking your drink order and they will refill if you have the munchies.  If you are in a PH, your Butler will bring you a variety of appetizers and one of those options can be mixed nuts. Bring a few baggies with you on the trip and pour any remaining room snacks into a  bag as that can help get you through a long shore excursion on a following day. 

If you are a cold water drinker and need ice water on tours, consider bringing your own insulated flask because the ship provided flasks are not well insulated and sweat a lot. Your Room Steward can be instructed to keep your ice bucket filled a couple times a day so you can fill your water bottle or make your own drinks. There are also water filling stations all over the ship and a waiter will refill it for you at a restaurant. 
Also, if you are a soda drinker, Coke products are under contract in the Staterooms but if a Pepsi drinker, advise your TA or Oceania Rep to have your soda of choice in your refrigerator in lieu of Coke. If specific mixes, Ginger Ale or other drinks are needed, let Oceania know in advance of your sailing. The Staff Store can procure any special items for a guests needs. 

Enjoy your cruise and welcome to the family.

Mauibabes

Thank you for the helpful tips.

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Some nice music and singer in Horizons and the always nice but definitely busier, Martini’s bar with the piano player.

Our idea of a perfect evening!! A cocktail while listening to music before a great dinner with wine! And I'm not going to get whipped up about the 2 for 1....we really don't care that much! 

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

and if you are new to Oceania, welcome because you are now family. 🤪🙏🛳️

Thank you! You are sooo kind!

I read a post in an Oceania thread today about your favorite memory ....the poster said "every time I cross over that threshold onto a ship". Whoever that person is & I are soulmates...I enjoy that moment every time! And this time I (with my husband) will be stepping on to Riviera!! 

I will bring my swell bottle for cold drinks & some ziplock bags! Thank you for the tips! Betting it will be a steep learning curve for this O newbie...I may be back with more questions!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Croce said:

Not just Oceania, but most of these lines are advertising a price that may or may not carry forward when you start  the booking process and the included airfare is really confusing.

You are absolutely right! All of the cruise lines do this! There's a "major" sale every weekend...You really have to watch the prices and the bookings to know when there is a real deal. I know RCCL's, Celebrity's, and now Oceania's marketing methods. Oceania Extraordinary Savings and 4 cabin upgrades are savings worth paying attention to!

On 7/7/2023 at 12:58 AM, mauibabes said:

@stonepebble

Glad to answer any questions anytime.  If you need to ask Q’s off line, feel free to email me.  We are glad to share what we have learned about O over the years with you. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

I do have questions!! 

Could you please email me at diamondplusstone at gmail.com

We booked our first O cruise directly with O. Very helpful person. I asked about Simply More, and he told me that we have the best deal on our cruise. Is that because it is totally sold out and waitlisted? I am not sure if others who have posted their gazillion dollar savings were booked on waitlisted cruises, or if there were cabin/suites available to "re-book" at the lower price. Thanks everyone.

We simply switched existing bookings from Olife to Simply More. Being waitlisted had no effect on our ability to switch. One cruise was a slightly better deal with SM and the other was significantly better with SM. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

We booked our first O cruise directly with O. Very helpful person. ... I am not sure if others who have posted their gazillion dollar savings were booked on waitlisted cruises, or if there were cabin/suites available to "re-book" at the lower price....

We cruise for itineraries. I try to book a cruise (cruise only) the minute the itinerary is available. So that could be 2 years in advance. THEN after the initial booking, I watch sales. To see what works. Take our 10-night 11/2023 cruise on Riviera. Originally booked it as a C in Apr 2022. Then upgraded on sale in May 2022 to a B4 and finally to a B3 in Apr 2023. The final B3 price (cruise only) at $1749 was off the Extraordinary Savings Sale. It is $250 LESS expensive than the original C (also cruise only)!

Booked our Baltic 9/2024 cruise in May 2022. First as a G and then moved to a C1 on a sale in Oct 2022. Wasn't on the ESS or the current Summer Sale. But I'll keep watching.

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

We booked our first O cruise directly with O. Very helpful person. I asked about Simply More, and he told me that we have the best deal on our cruise. Is that because it is totally sold out and waitlisted? I am not sure if others who have posted their gazillion dollar savings were booked on waitlisted cruises, or if there were cabin/suites available to "re-book" at the lower price. Thanks everyone.

Assuming those that are having the huge savings now are on cruises covered by the Summer Sales event. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

We cruise for itineraries. I try to book a cruise (cruise only) the minute the itinerary is available. So that could be 2 years in advance. THEN after the initial booking, I watch sales. To see what works. Take our 10-night 11/2023 cruise on Riviera. Originally booked it as a C in Apr 2022. Then upgraded on sale in May 2022 to a B4 and finally to a B3 in Apr 2023. The final B3 price (cruise only) at $1749 was off the Extraordinary Savings Sale. It is $250 LESS expensive than the original C (also cruise only)!

Booked our Baltic 9/2024 cruise in May 2022. First as a G and then moved to a C1 on a sale in Oct 2022. Wasn't on the ESS or the current Summer Sale. But I'll keep watching.

Hey, thanks for letting us know that valuable information. I don't think I've ever seen you post that here before. 🙄

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Assuming those that are having the huge savings now are on cruises covered by the Summer Sales event. 

In my case, yes, that is correct.  Rebooked a 20 day cruise included in the Summer Sale at a $3000 savings plus the simply More benefits. 

• Like 1